From level 0 to level 3, to level 0 and now back to level 2 LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

Reaction score
Dropped out of the hobby after my L3 when the ATF started their BS.

Got back into it in April, flew my L1 cert yesterday then L2 today on a K550 in a 4” bird at Mini Midwest Power.

Quite a bit has changed the last 15 years, but most of it was familiar.

Time to start looking for a Level 3 bird, scratch built last time, may consider a kit, anyone know of any 6” fiberglass kits with a 75 mm motor mount.

Attachments

• 6CA4865E-5780-4BA1-AEDA-48D305D43A15.jpeg
    6CA4865E-5780-4BA1-AEDA-48D305D43A15.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 53
Hah I kinda want to lose my certs so I can take on the one-bird three-level challenge, or maybe some other silly cert game.

I would build an ultimate Wildman or Darkstar and adapt down. Welcome back, kick some butt and have some fun!

You were at Mini Midwest Power, and you're looking for a 6" bird?

Should have talked to Wildman ;)

I’ve got several ideas in my head for my L3, 6” upscale BSD Horizon cardboard and plywood, the 4” Mach1 Area 51 i have inbound already, or a 6” ultimate wildman fiberglass, havent decided yet but i am leaning toward the wildman kit at this point.

Glad to hear that you got back into HPR. The litigation with BATF did cast a pall over the hobby, and thankfully that is in the past.

My $.02--a 6" glass rocket can get pretty hefty. Put in a 98mm motor mount. Easy enough to fly on a 75mm with an adapter, but it leaves you with the option for bigger motors.

I chose the Wildman Darkstar Extreme for my L3 attempt, mainly because I could load it on the rail myself. First flight was on an M1297 to about 13.000 ft. Sucessful L3 flight at Airfest, with a long recovery in a Milo field.
I have also flown my Ultimate Darkstar there, but it takes a team to load and recover it.
Here is a link to my build thread, back in 2014:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/waycos-dark-star-extreme.66950/

Last edited:
Have a 4” Alien 51 Mach 1 kit en route as well as an Ultimate Wildman with a 75 mm motor mount....👍👍

Ive had a motor adapter failure in the past, all I will fly it on is 75s so a 75 is what works best for me.

Last edited:
Jason--it sounds like you're all set. Your previous build thread was great. Please consider posting another one for your L3. I would certainly learn a lot from watching you work through it. Hope you like the Mach 1. I think their stuff is first rate. They also make the only BT sized fiberglass rocket kits--which are super fun to fly if you ever do low power stuff.

Jason--it sounds like you're all set. Your previous build thread was great. Please consider posting another one for your L3. I would certainly learn a lot from watching you work through it. Hope you like the Mach 1. I think their stuff is first rate. They also make the only BT sized fiberglass rocket kits--which are super fun to fly if you ever do low power stuff.

I have a Daedalus BT60👍👍 have it built but not flown yet.

I chose the Wildman Darkstar Extreme for my L3 attempt, mainly because I could load it on the rail myself

I'm finishing a Punisher for my L1 attempt, but lately I've been considering flying my Darkstar Jr instead, then attempting L2 with a Darkstar 3 and if a L3 is in the cards, using the Darkstar Extreme.

Latest posts

Back