From Earth to the Moon - coming soon on TNT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianc

Reaction score
Better yet, do what I did. Nagged my wife and daughter into buying me the tape set last Christmas.

Nagged my neice into getting me "The Right Stuff".

Or just buy some blank tapes and record!

Hard to say which episode is the "best'.

I'd pick "The Spider" about building the LEM.

I haven't seen the series, but the book "From the Earth to the Moon" by Jules Verne is one of my all time favorites. I'm know they are not related, but you just reminded me of the book.

Interesting note: Verne wrote the book in the late 1800's, and the spot that he picked out for the Americans moon shot was amazingly close to where Cape Canaveral is now.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

The book this series is based on is Andrew Chaikin's "A Man on the Moon", and it's a great book.

My favorite episode is the one about Conrad's Apollo 12 mission. It was a hoot and according to Chaikin's book it's not too far off the mark.

LOL! The Apollo 12 mission was a riot!.

Loved the part where the Saturn V gets hit by lightning a few times and Bean hits the camera with the hammer to try and get it to work.

Dave Foley (Kids in the Hall, News Radio) played Bean And Conrad was the guy who played nasty Dr. Ramano on ER.

Love that one!

Watched the first two episodes last night... since I don't have HBO, I never saw it originally... it was great. Really mixed emotions here... Those were the glory days, but it's kind of sad when I see where we are now and where we could have been. They talked about a space station and a manned mission to Mars being planned... and look what we have...

But anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. I was fotunate enough to be at the Cape for the launch of Apollo 14. Got a tour before the launch, stood at the 3 mile line, felt the Saturn V hit my stomach - the whole thing. Then we flew to Houston... we were scheduled to go into mission control, but they were having problems at the time - something about getting into the right orbit for Lunar insertion - and after Apollo 13, they were just a bit skiddish... so we just got a tour of the facilities. Great stuff.

I found some of the pictures (snap shots) I took... some day I'll get around to scanning them - if anyone wants to see them.

Back