Frog Tape?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbs0011

Reaction score
Well i also posted this on YORF so bare with me please

Has anyone used FROG TAPE? Saw an ad on tv tonight and was wondering if it has been tried and what were the results?

Green --- is for all uses
Yellow ---is for delicate use or freshly painted surfaces

:smile:

I've only ever heard of the green.

I like it and posted a review on EMRR. I am a lousy painter but all of my best results have been with Frog tape.

Others dissent.

Get a roll and see if you like it.

I think these various tapes sold by home improvement stores and big boxes are designed to work with latex paints.

Laquers and enamels may not give the same razor sharp results.

I've had good luck with the yellow Tamiya masking tape which is designed for use with rattlecan sprays.

I agree, Frog Tape is a great tape. I always have a roll around for rattle can paint jobs!

I myself use the regular blue painter's tape for most jobs... though I did get a roll of the narrow Tamiya tape for my Dr. Zooch Friendship 7 Mercury Atlas anniversary build last year... I knew there was going to be some intricate taping off to do around the side pods and stuff, and the Tamiya did the trick-- came out PERFECTLY!

I kinda like the looks of the Frog Tape, but I DON'T like the COST. Plus, as someone else mentioned, the 'special sealant' to make the 'razor sharp seperation lines' is designed to work with LATEX paint...

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

I sell the stuff at one of those home improvement centers and old dude is correct. They are intended for use with waterbased finishes. The adhesive in them is designed to react with water and swell to seal off the edges. That is why they are stored in a plastic containers, so humidity will not effect them. I will check with the vendor about use with solvent based products and post back as soon as I can.

Jeff

Another big thumbs up for Frog tape. I use regular cheap blue tape for masking non detail areas but I use the frog tape for nice crisp, no-bleed lines. I have never had frog tape pull off any paint layers.

FWIW-The canister FROG tape comes in has much to do with it's success with crisp lines. If you let your tape(like I do) just run around on your workbench- the flat sides pick up little dings and specks of junk that, even brushed off, have compromised the adhesive or at the least the integrity of the edge. Cheeper tapes have been sheared with a duller cutting edge tend to have more problems than one with a little quality control built in. Most painters in the commercial world (us) are taping edges to prevent rollers and brushes from getting on faucets, windows, etc. We rocketeers look much closer at our details on a finer scale than most others, so therefore we are 'pickier' than most. Keep your tape clean, store it vertically and keep away from excessive heat. YMMV...

FWIW-The canister FROG tape comes in has much to do with it's success with crisp lines. If you let your tape(like I do) just run around on your workbench- the flat sides pick up little dings and specks of junk that, even brushed off, have compromised the adhesive or at the least the integrity of the edge. Cheeper tapes have been sheared with a duller cutting edge tend to have more problems than one with a little quality control built in. Most painters in the commercial world (us) are taping edges to prevent rollers and brushes from getting on faucets, windows, etc. We rocketeers look much closer at our details on a finer scale than most others, so therefore we are 'pickier' than most. Keep your tape clean, store it vertically and keep away from excessive heat. YMMV...

And stay away from the cheap tan stuff... :) Later! OL JR :)

A trick to get the frog tape to work better is to lightly dampen the edges with water before you paint. It kick starts the sealing process. Our painters at work do this every time be for they paint and they get far better results. I have seen the difference with my own two eyes and it really does work.

TA

I use the Frog tape a lot around the house. Excellent tape. It is a bit more sticky than the regular green (and blue) tape. As a result it can lift paint.

Another trick is to paint the edge of blue/green tape first with the color that you are masking. Any paint bleed will fill the voids. Next you paint the other color.

Jeroe

I have used both the green (standard) and yellow (light tack). Both are great at sealing and the yellow makes it much easier to remove from delicate surfaces. I simply don't buy the blue painters tape anymore.

Green (original offering) Frog tape is OK but is a rather thick material.
Yellow (Delicate surface) Frog tape is about the same thickness and consistancy of Tamiya Tapes in a much more usful .94" and 1.88" widths.
Yellow is harder to find I ended up purchasing mine through amazon.com Frog tapes Are on the expensive side but well worth the price Particuarly when compared with the much smaller 6mm and 10mm short rolls.

Yellow Frog tape is a MUCH better mask then 3m Blue painters tape especially when doing custom knifeing on curved surfaces. Like Tamiya tapes the Yellow thinner tape can be seen through making filigree cutting much easier.

Fine Masking Tapes-e1_Green FrogTape 1in & 1.5in HiTac Tapes_07-07-12.jpg

Fine Masking Tapes-e2_Yellow FrogTape .94in &1.88in lowTac_07-07-12.jpg

Fine Masking Tapes-d_Tamiya 6mm & 10mm yellow_07-07-12.JPG

Last edited:
I find Frog Tape to one of the best tapes I have used. I prefer it over the cheap stuff for all things but launch day motor / ejection charge prep. It just does not stick as well as the cheap stuff, but that makes it better for painting.

Yep - +1 for frog tape. Haven't seen the yellow before now - have only used the green but I do like it.

Had the opportunity to visit the HD today a picked up a tub of the yellow "Delicate Surfaces" Frog Tape. I'm planning to do a two tone paint job on my Madcow Squat and will give it a try.

Report to follow.

I started using the yellow Frog Tape about a year ago. That's all I use now when masking off painted surfaces. The edges seal tight, creates crisp clean edges and lifts off easily without pulling up the newly painted surface.

Have fun painting...LOL :rolleyes:

Had the opportunity to visit the HD today a picked up a tub of the yellow "Delicate Surfaces" Frog Tape. I'm planning to do a two tone paint job on my Madcow Squat and will give it a try.

Report to follow.

I can't believe you're actually building a rocket with fins.

My favorite tape is the green 3M stuff from the body shop. Granted 3M makes a load of different tapes. I found it to be quite flexible, very tacky, left no residue,...

As for Frog Tape, I tried it and was not overly impressed by the performance, but compared to cheaper tapes, it's very good quality.

You want cheap tape? Get some of the Harbor Freight blue painters tape. I've got several rolls of that and use it freely for non-critical taping applications
-Ken

I have used both Tamiya masking tape and the yellow frog tape. The Tamiya tape allows better control as far as taping the lines. The frog tape covers more. I just done a Wizard in the classic pattern. With the paint line right next to the launch lug. I used the 6mm (1/4 inch) tamiya tape to tape around it. and once around to get a good seal. I used a few shots of clear spray to make sure the tape lines was sealed good. Then the purple was shot on the fin section. Unmasking I had no overspray and a crisp line from the Tamiya white and Testors purple. Both laquer paints. The clear was Testors as well. It looked so good I hated putting the decal wrap over it.

Back