Quantcast

Frequent problem viewing image gallery on iPhone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

wolsen

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the forum on the iPhone. First picture often loads partially. What *usually* works is to turn the phone sideways forcing it into landscape mode, then back again and it will render the photo. This fixes it for most but not all photos.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
@wolsen that makes me wonder if the problem would fix if I did a size posted image here. Try again and let me know what happens with the same photos.

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@wolsen that makes me wonder if the problem would fix if I did a size posted image here. Try again and let me know what happens with the same photos.
Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
I have the same problem with the forum on the iPhone. First picture often loads partially. What *usually* works is to turn the phone sideways forcing it into landscape mode, then back again and it will render the photo. This fixes it for most but not all photos.
Same for me as well. The sideways trick helps, but not always. Frustrating.

Tony

wolsen

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.
@Angie I agree with Neil in that I’m not quite sure what you are asking for me to do. I think with the size posted image you’re saying that you would specify the image display properties, but not clear on which image you want me to try this out on. I’m happy to try anything you want me to try.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I made a change and wanted you to look again where there are problems and let me know if they are any better.

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
By my standards I think it’s worse than before. If I roll my phone 90 degrees, now the image doesn’t show at all.

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would say the fact that the behavior changed at all would suggest you're on the right track, though.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Is there a test thread we can use to check the behavior? Or a set of threads? That might help narrow it down some.

Tony

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I just undid what I did. Can you see if it's back to no worse than what it was?

mo2872

Reaction score
Back to what it was.

Interestingly, on my iphone 6s(yes, old, I know), it only happens to photos that are thumbnailed with a link below them. Link takes me to another screen where it opens perfectly. Clicking the images, whichever one I click first, partial load, all others load fully. 🤷

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Is there a test thread we can use to check the behavior? Or a set of threads? That might help narrow it down some.
Area 51

timbucktoo

Staff member
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I just posted 2 images from iphone in Area 51. 1st image was posted as thumbnail. 2nd image was posted at full image. Thumbnail seems to be the problem.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
I reposted the images I was using as a test in post #1 of the above thread, in thumbnail mode the issue appears. but not in full size mode. You'll see the same images in a later post at full size (post #8 in the image test thread).

One huge difference is that when posted as thumbnails, you get the next/previous buttons, when posted as full size, you have to view each image individually.

Tony

Last edited:

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One huge difference is that when posted as thumbnails, you get the next/previous buttons, when posted as full size, you have to view each image individually.
You are correct, and I never noticed that before. That's weird behavior, full size images should show with the next/previous buttons the same as thumbnails. Something screwy going on.

And it does definitely seem to be the case that full-sized images work fine, while thumbnails have the problem (at least, the first thumbnail.)

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
You are correct, and I never noticed that before. That's weird behavior, full size images should show with the next/previous buttons the same as thumbnails. Something screwy going on.

And it does definitely seem to be the case that full-sized images work fine, while thumbnails have the problem (at least, the first thumbnail.)
Thanks for that, I thought I had just missed that difference all these years. In fact the other night I got frustrated with the lack of next/prev buttons on a post with a bunch of images and could not figure out what as going on. So at least now it's the difference between thumbnails and full size.

Tony

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like right now there's a choice: use thumbnails, get the good forward/back navigation, but produce broken images on phones... or use full-sized, they always work, but you can't navigate forward/back.

:oops:

wolsen

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I use the full sized images, I can swipe back (left to right) as if it opened a new page to navigate to. I do use it like an app, where I’ve added it to my Home Screen so the experience may be different than in safari.

neil_w

Chuffed as ninepence
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If I use the full sized images, I can swipe back (left to right) as if it opened a new page to navigate to. I do use it like an app, where I’ve added it to my Home Screen so the experience may be different than in safari.
Hmm, I do the same but that just opens it in Safari like a bookmark, unless you've figured out some other way to do it.

I don't have any ability to swipe left and right on the full-sized images. Can you point to a particular post where that works for you? Whatever you're doing, I want it. :)

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Uhh, adding it to the home screen still runs it inside Safari. It just runs in an instance of Safari without the URL bar across the top. I tried that and still had the same issues. FWIW, I tested the issue out using Firefox Focus on the iPhone and it rendered everything just fine, so it's something with just Safari, not the iPhone in general. But the post with multiple full size images still only shows one image at a time.

Tony

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Try Chrome or Firefox and let me know how that works for you.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
I’ve only ever used Safari or Firefox Focus, I don’t use Chrome or another version of Firefox. Hopefully someone else can test those versions and see what happens. However, given the popularity of the iPhone and the default use of Safari, it sure seems like it ought to work on Safari as is.

Tony

wolsen

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Can you point to a particular post where that works for you? Whatever you're doing, I want it. :)
Using the post from @timbucktoo above (#46), if I select the attachment name instead of the photo itself:

391F4A60-06F6-4AB6-8201-17556724F296.jpeg

then it opens as a photo in the window like so:
9CE19297-88EA-4A44-909C-9CECB7DAC929.png

from which I can swipe back from the left edge of the screen. How it’s displayed depends on the media type though as that will determine how safari treats it.

It’s still a lackluster experience compared to the image gallery, but it’ll do for now.

Uhh, adding it to the home screen still runs it inside Safari. It just runs in an instance of Safari without the URL bar across the top. I tried that and still had the same issues.
Right, it does. But there’s specific nuances which don’t give you the same experience (i.e. it’s not necessarily clear to all users it’s opening a new tab). I’d rather be explicit in how I’m using it since it’s possible that not everyone reading this will use it the same way.:)

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Using the post from @timbucktoo above (#46), if I select the attachment name instead of the photo itself:

View attachment 432151

then it opens as a photo in the window like so:
View attachment 432152

from which I can swipe back from the left edge of the screen. How it’s displayed depends on the media type though as that will determine how safari treats it.

It’s still a lackluster experience compared to the image gallery, but it’ll do for now.

Right, it does. But there’s specific nuances which don’t give you the same experience (i.e. it’s not necessarily clear to all users it’s opening a new tab). I’d rather be explicit in how I’m using it since it’s possible that not everyone reading this will use it the same way.:)
Unfortunately though most image posts don't have the direct image link. Neither of my posts (thumbnails or full size) in that same thread have links you can can click on, so that work-around is unavailable. That seems to be the case for the vast majority of images posted. In fact, I'm not even sure why that one has the link and view counter underneath it. I've never seen that on any of the images that I have posted.

Tony

Last edited:

BrendanH69

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been suffering this too for ages on my iPhone7, and have onbly spotted this thread just now. Always the first image in the group of attached photos. Happened again today. I access the forum and the posts containing the photos via the daily email as I can't seem to get the app downloaded.

Latest posts