Freedom Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo2801

Reaction score
Break out the sunscreen, pack the rockets (and kids) and head to beautiful Orangeburg, South Carolina and fly on one of the best fields on the East Coast. This three day event is sponsored by ICBM (TRA) and ROSCO (NAR). September 4th and 5th are Sport Launch days followed by a Tripoli Rocketry Association Experimental Launch on September 6th. Range will open at 10am each day with a 10,000 ft. waiver.
:cool: :D ;) :)

I'll be there all 3 days. Besides spending time runnung the launch and taking video, I plan on flying both the Deuce and Tres on Pro54's.

I'll be there for sure on Saturday and maybe on Monday also. I have the first "LCO duty" slot on Saturday and then I will fly as many rockets as I can get ready. (I need to spend some time this week fixing a few rockets, I hope my school work calms down a little)

We (some of the TRA and ROSCO officers and members spend several hours yesterday working on the launch equipment, so I think we are ready.

I hope we get a good turn-out!!!!!

I am hoping to make it out there for my first time. I may only get to go one day though. Any recomendations? I think Monday would be pretty cool.

Originally posted by phaar
Any recomendations? I think Monday would be pretty cool.

Yes, Monday is going to be very cool...... But it is ONLY EX motors. My recomendation would be Saturday. I think it will be the biggest turn-out of the weekend.

(let's hope the "little" storm out in the ocean will not spoil the party)

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
(let's hope the "little" storm out in the ocean will not spoil the party)

I'm keeping a close eye on that, too. One meteorologist in Atlanta forecast it hitting Florida's central coast around Melbourne Beach some time Saturday. I'm hoping it doesn't come ashore near our launch, but I'm also hoping it doesn't come ashore in Florida for the sake of those folks who've already had enough windy weather this hurricane season.

But, if its hurricane season, doesn't that mean we can shoot them?

Originally posted by gothique_97
One meteorologist in Atlanta forecast it hitting Florida's central coast around Melbourne Beach some time Saturday.

Yea, as of this morning (Tuesday) Melbourne FL looks like the target....... You Florida folks look out, this one is no Joke!!!!!

Folks,

This has been a most difficult decision for your leadership to make. We realize the current predicted path of Frances takes it below South Carolina. Florida will take the brunt of the storm and it is predicted at this point to go into Alabama and western Georgia. However, keep in mind this is a very large storm and it reaches far beyond the path of its eye.

After checking NOAA, Weather Channel, and local weather sources, it appears the winds will be high starting Saturday afternoon with storms and rain settling in for the remaining days. Safety and fun are our primary concern. A major concern is for our members and guests who may be traveling through the path of the storm.

Risking a launch during this time doesn't seem like the right call to make. Remember, we love to fly as much as the our members and guests. We just feel the risk does not out weigh the benefits. We look forward to seeing you at another launch, but we feel we must cancel the Freedom Launch festivities.

If you have reservations at the Days Inn (803-534-0500), don't forget to call and cancel. We'll see you guys on the field in October!

Sincerely,

Eric Benner, ICBM Prefect
Bobby Weatherford, NAR Senior Technical Advisor
Mike Mixon, ICBM Treasurer
Randy Trotter, NAR Treasurer

Back