Freedom Launch Camden SC 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
Well, my flight coming from Germany is booked, rental car is taken care of and last night I booked my hotel for two nights.
I will be taking along my 2-stage Ascender and Star Orbiter (need to figure out how to fit it in my luggage) both of which are dual deploy recovery.
I'll also have some low power flyers with me like the Estes Mongoose 2-stage dual deploy as well.
As always I'm looking very much forward to the event! :)

Bracha and I have a lot going on in our lives right now, but we are hoping to make it to the Freedom Launch. We had a terrific time at the National Sport Launch last year.

-- Roger

MAYBE, I'll have some newbies to fly if I get off my arse and finish painting them. Dodging humidity and excessive heat (less the lazy streak I'm dealing with) are the reasons they're not quite finished. I love taking me some new birds to the field. See ya there Leo!

Leo, just curious. Where and how much did you find hotel?

Jim, I had wanted to stay at Holiday Inn but they are asking $210 per night. Comfort Inn wants ca. $185 per night. I stayed with them last time I was in Camden.

The hotels are less expensive the further you go into Columbia. I therefore decided to stay at Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott. I'm paying ca. $130 per night. It's a 25 min drive from the field located at exit 17 on HW 77.

@Lawrence, Gary: Fantastic. Looking very much forward to meeting you guys again! Can't wait to see what rockets you will have with you this time :)

@Roger: Great. I will have to look up your shop to see if I need to pre-order something for the event :)

Jim, I had wanted to stay at Holiday Inn but they are asking $210 per night. Comfort Inn wants ca. $185 per night. I stayed with them last time I was in Camden.

The hotels are less expensive the further you go into Columbia. I therefore decided to stay at Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott. I'm paying ca. $130 per night. It's a 25 min drive from the field located at exit 17 on HW 77.

The Econo Lodge near the preferred Days Inn in Lugoff charged me 69.99 a night. I booked directly with the hotel. There are no discounts with AAA and such, the prices are jacked up some because of holiday pricing, but tolerable. After it's all said and done, the final cost including taxes and fees blah blah, is 233.07 for 3 nights.

I wish I could make it. I just started a new job at Fort Hood, TX.

I have no clue why the previous incarnation of this thread was closed, since there is no other thread specifically for Freedom Launch.

So Admins, is there some reason we can't talk about who is attending this event?

I have no idea how that happened. I opened the thread back up and assume it was done by mistake.

Are Skidmarks (in my case G80) still not permitted on the field?

Skid marks are a decision made on the field based on grass conditions. Since it is a sod farm, we cannot risk damaging the crop. The decision will be made by the leadership. I would recommend a back up motor.

Leo,

Leo-I believe you are a ham operator. Did you get paperwork done for ham communication in Germany-it would be neat given that you will be relatively central in Europe & you can do DX on very low power? I'm hoping to be in Camden 1 or 2 full days with at least one new build. Man, its hard to complete a new rocket build in my garage (> 100 degrees F at times). Chuck, we know that you'll be there in spirit and I know we'll all have a great weekend!

Fred, TRA#15606
L2, KG4YGP

Skid marks are a decision made on the field based on grass conditions. Since it is a sod farm, we cannot risk damaging the crop. The decision will be made by the leadership. I would recommend a back up motor.

Thanks Chuck. I just wanted to be sure before I order motors from Ken.

Leo,

Leo-I believe you are a ham operator. Did you get paperwork done for ham communication in Germany-it would be neat given that you will be relatively central in Europe & you can do DX on very low power? I'm hoping to be in Camden 1 or 2 full days with at least one new build. Man, its hard to complete a new rocket build in my garage (> 100 degrees F at times). Chuck, we know that you'll be there in spirit and I know we'll all have a great weekend!

Fred, TRA#15606
L2, KG4YGP

Fred,

I'm not a ham operator.

About the heat & humidity: My Uncle told me the same thing. That's why I'm trying to get as much done here in Germany to avoid those problems when I'm in the States. See you at the field.

I will be there. Hopefully I have one day off this weekend to finish getting ready for it.

I have some Syner-Jet 29 and 38mm reloads I will be trying. If anyone has electronic deployment and is feeling frosty, come find me. I have necessary hardware also.

A little over a week. I hope David McCloy and the team set up a great launch.

A little over a week. I hope David McCloy and the team set up a great launch.

Awww Chucky. Are you missing it already? Hey, maybe you can talk Bridgette and Mack into flying some next weekend. Mack did throw a few up last time, but I'm sure he has more than a little streamer job. Bridgette has that saucer too.....hmmmmmm

Bummer. Something came up and we are not going to be able to make it this time. :(

-- Roger

Back