Free software to use in manipulating images for home made decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I downloaded both Inkscape and Gimp some time ago. I shall also find some YouTube tutorials for using Inkscape, as Gimp seems to be a lot more complicated, at least to me.
GIMP is as complicated as Photoshop. It's one of those things that takes years to really get good at. I have it, but rarely use it. hence my recommendation for faststone viewer for doing common things like crop/rotate/resize/dpi
As for inkscape.. it does a lot also, much more than I use, but it does what I need it to do. I used to teach freehand and illustrator 30 years ago so I have a bit of understanding

one more thing i just thought of: dpi. changing an image dpi from 96 to 300 or 600 increases the memory size of the image accordingly. You can end up with a YUUGE file for printing. Vectors dont change.

Last edited:
@neil_w - Thanks - don't worry, I'm not afraid to post questions, I'm just afraid of not understanding the answers, LOL. I'm working with Paint right now and starting to understand a little of how it works. So I will be bugging you guys again I'm sure.

He hates it when I mention Word. For the life of me, I can't figure out why the OP would use Excel for printing an image file.

I'm not exactly sure why I find paint.net unintuitive. Probably the same reason why I hate Macs. They're difficult to use after banging my head on my desk so many times. I've been forced to use an iPhone for the past 6 years but it's still a love/hate relationship.

As you can see from my Gild Navigator, graphic design is not my forte. My scratch builds end up looking like a collage. That's mostly why I haven't reached out to @neil_w for help with paint.net but appreciate the offer.

I'm not exactly sure why I find paint.net unintuitive. Probably the same reason why I hate Macs. They're difficult to use after banging my head on my desk so many times.
I still don't know where this head-banging is coming from, and still believe that it could be easily fixed with a brief but well-targeted tutorial. But it's up to you.

And yeah, please don't mention Word. :)

I still don't know where this head-banging is coming from, and still believe that it could be easily fixed with a brief but well-targeted tutorial. But it's up to you.

And yeah, please don't mention Word. :)
I need to find a good example to work with and affix to a scratch rocket. The Mini Executioner woulda been a good one. I ended up cleaning the pixels. I think it looks good up close but time to learn a new skill set.

I have a lot of balsa transitions I need to do something with. I think they’re 60/20. What would be a good graphic to start with?

I have a lot of balsa transitions I need to do something with. I think they’re 60/20. What would be a good graphic to start with?
I don't know what you want but just google 'free vector images' + whatever idea you have. lots of stuff out there for a starter image

I need to find a good example to work with and affix to a scratch rocket. The Mini Executioner woulda been a good one. I ended up cleaning the pixels. I think it looks good up close but time to learn a new skill set.

Transitions are a very tough place to start if you're trying to come up with a wrap that goes around the whole thing. In that case you need to start with an appropriate shroud template, and work within that. For spot decals on the transition, anything goes.

It's hard to come up with a generic "good graphic to start with". Pick something you like, either vector or pixel.

The building materials I have. The balsa transitions were those things you throw in the shopping cart to qualify for free shipping. I’m looking for graphical inspiration other than YORP. I guess I could cover it in Interceptor decals. 🤣

I am declaring VICTORY over the decals. I was able to take what I needed from the original PDF/SVG file, cut and paste into 2 decal sheets, modified the text on a few, and added some decals (two that I came up with, and a logo from the Internet). I just printed test sheets, and after some quick comparison to previously printed 100% size decals, will move on to printing them on decal paper. Woo hoo. They turned out really crisp and nice.

I am declaring VICTORY over the decals. I was able to take what I needed from the original PDF/SVG file, cut and paste into 2 decal sheets, modified the text on a few, and added some decals (two that I came up with, and a logo from the Internet). I just printed test sheets, and after some quick comparison to previously printed 100% size decals, will move on to printing them on decal paper. Woo hoo. They turned out really crisp and nice.
Using which software?

GIMP is as complicated as Photoshop. It's one of those things that takes years to really get good at. I have it, but rarely use it. hence my recommendation for faststone viewer for doing common things like crop/rotate/resize/dpi
As for inkscape.. it does a lot also, much more than I use, but it does what I need it to do. I used to teach freehand and illustrator 30 years ago so I have a bit of understanding

one more thing i just thought of: dpi. changing an image dpi from 96 to 300 or 600 increases the memory size of the image accordingly. You can end up with a YUUGE file for printing. Vectors dont change.
Somewhat true but not always...when you add color or gradients to vector art such as in Illustrator....the file size can change dramatically. That’s why if you are using a bitmap program such as paint, you can use a Tiff file format and use it’s type of compression which is not anything like JPEG compression...which is lousy. Plus you can control the dpi in bitmap just like in vector with good results.....if you know what you are doing.

if you actually read my previous message I mentioned garbage in, garbage out....that’s what happens when you try and enlarge 72 dpi up to 300 dpi in bitmap....besides increased file size the art becomes fuzzy. As you mentioned, that’s when vector shines.

you don’t need 300dpi-600dpi for inkjet printing especially in decals....150 dpi-200 dpi at 100% size will work fine and save file size.

1. Your problems here are much more likely to be caused by using Excel in your toolchain than anything else. Do not use Excel to assemble your decal sheet, use your image editor.
  2. Someone is going to suggest using the GIMP. Do not. If you are having trouble getting the hang of Paint.net, you will be lost in the GIMP.
  3. Use Paint.net. It's the best, most accessible free image editor you can get. If you have questions about it post them here; once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to use compared to most other programs.
  4. I can't comment on your specific "loss of text clarity" issue without more information, but I can offer a few suggestions:
    1. Create your decals at a good DPI. I always work at 300 DPI.
    2. Always save as .PNG, not .JPG. .PNG is lossless. .JPGs create artifacts which can be perceived as loss of sharpness.
    3. Don't resize text if you can avoid it. That is, create it at the correct size in your 300 DPI original, and then leave it. You can copy/paste it around, but don't resize.
Beyond that, I'd need to understand exactly what your workflow is. But really, stop using Excel.
PNG may be lossless in theory, but it isn't a certainty. From Wikipedia:

The PNG working group designed the format for transferring images on the Internet, not for professional-quality print graphics, therefore non-RGB color spaces such as CMYK are not supported. I don't know about you, buy my HP printer uses CMY inks, so PNG is NOT ideal for printing.

Although PNG is a lossless format, PNG encoders can preprocess image data in a lossy fashion to improve PNG compression. I interpret this to mean that unless you know what compression your program is using, you really can't be sure.

Below is a screen shot of the same graphic saved as BMP, PNG, JPG and PDF. Bitmaps are the true resolution, pixel for pixel. PDFs, PNG and JPG all crush the bejeezus out of the file. BMP (or RAW if you take a picture with a camera) are you only true sources of lossless graphics. If your source to begin with is PDF, it's already compressed.

Compare.jpg

PNG may be lossless in theory, but it isn't a certainty. From Wikipedia:
I'm sorry Mike but you're way off in the weeds here. I'm only responding because I'm concerned that if someone follows this advice they will end up there as well.

The most critical thing to remember is that we're talking about rocket decals here, not scans of the Mona Lisa for the archives.
The PNG working group designed the format for transferring images on the Internet, not for professional-quality print graphics, therefore non-RGB color spaces such as CMYK are not supported. I don't know about you, buy my HP printer uses CMY inks, so PNG is NOT ideal for printing.
Oy.

Your printer (and mine) uses CMYK inks, but the print drivers are designed to accept RGB input and produce accurate printout. There is a much greater than 99% chance that your digital camera is capturing images in RGB.

CMYK workflows are possible, and are generally used for commercial printing, but require higher-end tools (e.g. Photoshop). Mark Hayes prints in CMYK: if you're designing graphics for him to print, you can benefit by starting with CMYK because you'll get a more accurate impression of how things are going to look when printed. But it has nothing to do with compression.
Although PNG is a lossless format, PNG encoders can preprocess image data in a lossy fashion to improve PNG compression. I interpret this to mean that unless you know what compression your program is using, you really can't be sure.
Find me a PNG that you can distinguish from the original. I'll wait.

For all practical purposes for typical use, PNG is lossless.
Below is a screen shot of the same graphic saved as BMP, PNG, JPG and PDF. Bitmaps are the true resolution, pixel for pixel. PDFs, PNG and JPG all crush the bejeezus out of the file. BMP (or RAW if you take a picture with a camera) are you only true sources of lossless graphics. If your source to begin with is PDF, it's already compressed.
View attachment 462391
That means next to nothing. PDF can encapsulate images in different ways. The interceptor decal sheet referenced in this thread is a pure vector image, so even at a tiny 120 KB it provides perfect fidelity at any size.

For certain types of images (which would frequently include the sorts of things you see in rocket decals), the LZ algorithm used in PNG can provide enormous compression ratios with no data loss. PNG works much less well with continuous-tone photographs. It's fidelity will still be fine, it just won't compress very well.

JPEG is almost always lossy and generates artifacts, particularly around sharp edges, which makes it less well suited to text and that sort of thing. But I could easily tweak the JPEG encoder settings to produce an image that, on a rocket, you would not be able to distinguish from uncompressed original, at least not without a loupe.

Bottom line advice:
1) If you can do what you need with a vector graphics tool (e.g. Inkscape), that's great. You'll get fantastic results at any print size.
2) Otherwise, do your bitmap work at a high DPI (I typically use 300), and store files in a lossless format. PNG is great. If you want to use BMP, that's fine too, you're just needlessly burning disk space and slinging around huge files.
3) If you're working with a commercial printer, you may want to look into CMYK workflow, but most don't need to worry about this.
4) Don't use MS Office tools as image editors (sorry, had to include that one :))

I'm making some headway with Inkscape; it definitely is not user friendly and has a fairly steep learning curve.

I was using Excel because all I have is Office Starter 2010, which I was using Excel to manipulate various graphics for other gaming related projects.
Does Office Basic at least have Power Point.....That is what we used at work to import and resized images when we made slideshows.

Jrap, I have Office Starter, not basic. A stripped down version that came with my laptop back in 2011.

I picked up a copy of CorelDraw Home and Student v8. Not free, but I thought three licenses for less than $100 was reasonable. I think I picked that version for compatibility with my system and the local library's maker lab computer.

I'm able to make things very quickly with it. I've used it for home-made decals and for making files to cut balsa with the local library's laser cutter.

I didn't make any headway when trying Inkscape for about an hour. So, I looked for something else. Happy I did. Now I spend time making what I want instead of trying to learn new software that I use once every six to nine months.

Inkscape is nice to because you can output to the format that Vinyl printers use. That's why I got Inkscape a while back for a vinyl project.

I haven’t seen CorelDraw since the 90s. I looked it up and discovered someone still publishes WordPerfect. 😮
Yes, and it was technically far superior to Word. And less expensive. When I started using PCs, WP 5.1 and Quattro Pro were on the lone machine in the department. With "Reveal Codes" you could tell exactly where the start and end of a particular type of formatting was. Word has something vaguely similar but not nearly as useful. I switched to Word under protest, as Pearson Education wants everything in Word whenever possible.

I downloaded a trial version of WordPerfect, and IMHO it's changed so much in an attempt to better compete with Word that it's more difficult to use. Also, I discovered that "compatible with Word documents" doesn't necessarily mean that it'll look even remotely the same in Word and WP. Colors, formatting, fonts all changed dramatically when I loaded a Word document into WP.

Best -- Terry

Yes, and it was technically far superior to Word. And less expensive. When I started using PCs, WP 5.1 and Quattro Pro were on the lone machine in the department. With "Reveal Codes" you could tell exactly where the start and end of a particular type of formatting was. Word has something vaguely similar but not nearly as useful. I switched to Word under protest, as Pearson Education wants everything in Word whenever possible.

I downloaded a trial version of WordPerfect, and IMHO it's changed so much in an attempt to better compete with Word that it's more difficult to use. Also, I discovered that "compatible with Word documents" doesn't necessarily mean that it'll look even remotely the same in Word and WP. Colors, formatting, fonts all changed dramatically when I loaded a Word document into WP.

Best -- Terry
I'm old enough to remember the Reveal Codes. You'd think they coulda sold the technology to MS and be done with it.

Back around 1998 when I lived near Seattle, I was invited to MS for a usability study where I used Word to complete tasks such as inserting a line in a document, and they watch to see how I would do it. I made the suggestion to actually show what the font looked like in the drop down list so I'm taking credit for that. I got a free copy of Flight Simulator 95 out of it.

I've use a copy of a program called LView Pro for a looong time (my copy is for Win95!). It's great for simple stuff like resizing, croping, and rotating. It can do more image manipulation stuff, but even that is easy to learn. I think version 2006 in 64 bit is free.

Back