free rocksim?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Const Star

Reaction score
ive heard from many locations that this is the best rocket building simulator out there. but the cost is as mush as a **** playstation 2 or something. bottom line, i cant afford it with my broke self. is there any way i can d/l it from someone or some location for free?

Apogee has a free download of version 5.0

does most everything you need, but you cannot save your work.

As for costing as much as a playstation 2...it is 100 times more the education than PS2 will ever be. So far it has been well worth the money.

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
As for costing as much as a playstation 2...
... or 2-3 games for that console, and you'll be using Rocksim well after those games have been relegated to the back of the cupboard.

I prefer SpaceCAD. It costs half as much and does almost everything I need. What it doesn't do that I need, neither does Rocksim.

Are you sure you even need one? If it's just for design, you can buy a T-square, and a lot of pencil and graph paper for a lot less. If it's for flight profile (time/speed/rod length until stability, time to apogee, etc.) there's a couple simulators for that online for free.

i agree, but as ive said. i really dont have that kinda money. im a poor rocketeer. ghetto

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I prefer SpaceCAD. It costs half as much and does almost everything I need. What it doesn't do that I need, neither does Rocksim.

Are you sure you even need one? If it's just for design, you can buy a T-square, and a lot of pencil and graph paper for a lot less. If it's for flight profile (time/speed/rod length until stability, time to apogee, etc.) there's a couple simulators for that online for free.

well im wanting to learn the scientific differences in the elements of building rockets and what helps them obtain faster speeds. and yes im wanting to design them as well for future projects

You'll have to make do with the demo copy until you can save enough money to buy the full version. Downloading a full copy for free is stealing.

wRASP is a free rocket simulation program but not as versatile as RocSim. Works very well for existing designs though. In some ways I like it better than RocSim.

Can't remember the website but if you search for it at www.rocketryonline.com they'll have the link.

Writing, publishing and selling software is someone's livelihood just like assembling an automobile or a piece of electronics or publishing a book.

Would you consider going to a car dealer or Best Buy or Barnes & Noble and stealing what you want just because you can't afford it?

No, I didn't think so. Save your money until you can leagally BUY the full version of the program, if that's what you need.

--Lance.

Const star:
Most not all, but a very large chunk of my designing, is done in Corel Draw and/or TurboCad-10. Not a cheap programs either.

Dyna is right, Space Cad is good, Wrasp and Winroc are two other very good freeware programs. RocketCAD-4 is still available for about 5 bucks on-line. There are many out there to play with.
Rocsim is NOT the only answer. explore the possibilties before plunking down close to 100 bucks for something that only partically works. Actually I'd buy AeroCFD before I buy rocsim again:(

Originally posted by Micromeister
Actually I'd buy AeroCFD before I buy rocsim again:(

I'm coming around on the idea of AeroCFD. The more I look at it and think about it, the more I think it makes sense.

Originally posted by Micromeister
Const star:
Most not all, but a very large chunk of my designing, is done in Corel Draw and/or TurboCad-10. Not a cheap programs either.

Dyna is right, Space Cad is good, Wrasp and Winroc are two other very good freeware programs. RocketCAD-4 is still available for about 5 bucks on-line. There are many out there to play with.
Rocsim is NOT the only answer. explore the possibilties before plunking down close to 100 bucks for something that only partically works. Actually I'd buy AeroCFD before I buy rocsim again:(

AeroCFD and RockSim perform different tasks. AeroCFD uses CFD to generate pressure, velocity, and force/moment coefficients (Cd and Cp) for a given shape. AeroCFD does not do flight simulation. RockSim is an all around package - Cd, Cp, CG, flight simulation and CAD.

i appreciate everyones willingness in helping me with stuff im unfamiliar too. ill check out some of these programs and hopefully im not to dumb to figure out what is what

i couldnt even get the demo to work, i didnt know what the hell i was doing. everytime i tried to design a rocket it just did nothing. so i erased it from my computer and said the hell with it ya know.

Have you tried SpaceCad? It is not as nice as RockSim, but it is half the price. For most average rockets it is adequate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Check out EMRR on CD if you want quick and easy soft copies of these demos as well as VCP and WRASP. Of course you can find them on the web, but I'm old and like to have my data in my hand (or on my shelf, or whatever).

For $30.00 you can get AeroDrag and Flight Simulation from AeroRocket (visit: https://www.aerorocket.com/aerodrag.html). The software is like the modern version of wRASP freeware. While the atmospheric model is not a sophisticated as RockSim's it is difinely worth the purchase to do good flight simulations. For flight stability prediction which is a step up from the VCP freeware program consider AeroRockets AeroCP program (visit: https://www.aerorocket.com/aerocp.html) its only $10.00. Both of these programs together are cheaper than SpaceCad which I believe is $54.90.

To dowload VCP freeware for stability simulations visit:
https://myweb.cableone.net/cjcrowell/VCPMAIN.htm
or
https://v-serv.com/vcp/

For wRASP flight simulation freeware visit:
https://www.wrasp.com/

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Own source: OpenRocket for the free win!

OpenRocket has fewer engine and rocket kit data, but it’s not hard to find .csv info to import

Back