Frak 'em

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shreadvector

Reaction score
Yes, Frak Caprica and the fraking writers and the Model Rocket/detonator reference. The show is a real stinker in general. I will not worry if I miss an episode or 5.

I think Fred finally snapped. To much TV Fred?

whats next?

[youtube]6whzBOV8_Es&feature=related[/youtube]

Yes, Frak Caprica and the fraking writers and the Model Rocket/detonator reference. The show is a real stinker in general. I will not worry if I miss an episode or 5.

But at least now we know what little girls are made of...

Yes, Frak Caprica and the fraking writers and the Model Rocket/detonator reference.

Ummm.... do you have to cuss in a real language to get the Gong? :confused2:

:roll::roll::roll:

(We crashed early last night and DVR'ed the episode, so not sure what happened.. but, as I tell my wife, "It's just television")

Last edited:
I like frak. It has that sharpness a word like that needs, but is actually a nonsense word that carries no real offence.

What the fr@k are you talking about?
Was this a regular network show? Perhaps someone could go ahead and name it?

OK Well, I remember that word from the original BG, and that's what came to mind, but I didn't realize it was the same thing. Haven't watched any of the modern stuff.

I like frak. It has that sharpness a word like that needs, but is actually a nonsense word that carries no real offence.

Made up word? Yep. Has no offence? Nope, not even close on this one.

As our language arts-teaching colleagues reminded us one day at lunch (when we were discussing this very word, and whether a young man who used it in a classroom in a way that left no doubt what his intentions were...) lots of words have been created to fit an occasion, and are now generally accepted parts of our language. Doesn't matter how they come to be - what matters is how they come to be used.

Bottom line - an F-bomb is still and F-bomb, no matter whether you change a letter or three. It's the intent behind it.

Want a nonsense word that doesn't cause problems? Pumperquarter is a good one to try! ;)

Last edited:

As our language arts-teaching colleagues reminded us one day at lunch (when we were discussing this very word, and whether a young man who used it in a classroom in a way that left no doubt what his intentions were... lots of words have been created to fit an occasion, and are now generally accepted parts of our language. Doesn't matter how they come to be - what matters is how they come to be used.

Bottom line - an F-bomb is still and F-bomb, no matter whether you change a letter or three. It's the intent behind it.

Want a nonsense word that doesn't cause problems? Pumperquarter is a good one to try! ;)

Can't please everyone...

As our language arts-teaching colleagues reminded us one day at lunch (when we were discussing this very word, and whether a young man who used it in a classroom in a way that left no doubt what his intentions were... lots of words have been created to fit an occasion, and are now generally accepted parts of our language. Doesn't matter how they come to be - what matters is how they come to be used.

Some people can be offended by anything...

Understand though if you hear me say something like that in public, I must be really mad, or I just got a paper cut.

My favorite non-expletives come from the "A Christmas Story" movie. I laugh until I cry every time Ralphie's dad cuts loose.

N

................................Uhhh, riiiiiggghhhtttt.............. [Backing slowly away...]

MarkII

Well, I know to legally be a word it has to be in Webster's Dictionary. Because of our litegeous way of doing thing the courts decided a long time ago the word definitions have to be the same so Webster's was standardized as the measure of a word and definition.

"Coined" words like frak and, for another BSG explicitave, feldercarb, are meaningless and to attach meaning to the word simply one man's opinion and bias.

Neologisms that have meaning within a group, even a narrow subgroup, are still words, regardless of whether or not they are in the dictionary. The relevant criterion is that the word has a standard meaning that is understood by others so that can be used in communication.

I could provide a link here to an article by a recognized lexicologist that appeared not too long ago on a well-respected mainstream website. The article frankly talked about how a certain well-known word that survives from Middle English came to be defined in most authoritative dictionaries. The posted link probably wouldn't get past the Thought Police here, though.

MarkII

Feldercarb is fun too, makes me think of oily sludge in a filthy crankcase. Something you don't want spraying all over. Or maybe some of the residue left in an rocket motor casing,

So anyway, Caprica is about the origin of the Cylons. A mean spirited nasty little girl had made a virtual avatar of herself, and later she was killed in a terrorist bombing. Her dad found the avatar and dumped it into a prototype Cylon. He thinks the avatar failed, but it is actually inside the Cylons processors, and is a mean spirited, nasty little girl.

I loved the re-made BSG. Even used to listen to the official podcasts put out in support of the show. Is Caprica worth watching?

Is Caprica worth watching?

Too early to tell. It's about 50 years before the invasion - shows the history of the Cylon warriers and has the Adama family, with all their history and troubles, highlighted as one of the main characters (including a young Bill Adama).

If you're a die-hard BSG fan, you'll probably understand the story line - if not, might be wondering what all the references are to.

Last edited:
I loved the re-made BSG. Even used to listen to the official podcasts put out in support of the show. Is Caprica worth watching?
Oh, so this discussion is about a TV show, then? [Slaps forehead] Geez, OK. :eek: I had no idea! :confused2:

MarkII

Last edited:
And not about the computer game Frak!, a platform game about a caveman, originally for the BBC Micro and subsequently ported to the Commodore 64. :D

Apparently my use of the words "writers" and "show" and "episode" and "Caprica" was extremely cryptic and there was no way anyone with access to Google could figure out this was about an "episode" of a "show" called "Caprica".

I'm so very sorry.

As for the question asking if it was any good: please refer to my cryptic "The show is a real stinker in general" line for another hidden message only retrievable with a secret decoder ring.:rolleyes:;):D:bangpan:

Frak Caprica.... Wasn't he the "It's a Wonderful Life" guy? :pop:

- Rick "what?" Dickinson

Back