Four new rockets - one new question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the Aerotech F21 Single Use motor!

24mm by 3.75" Fits into an Estes "E" motor mount.

If you can find 'em.

sandman

I'm putting the Big Daddy together with plain 'ol yellow glue, and I'll be strengthening the fins a little with filler, but they are still just balsa fins...

...I don't think it would survive an F, and a G would turn it into itty bitty rocket confetti :D

I'll be strengthening the fins a little with filler, but they are still just balsa fins...

That'll make 'em strong enough to survive an F21 motor!

sandman

Originally posted by rocwizard
wouldn't it make more sence to do a 4-E cluster since it has 4 fins? ;)

I think you are dead on, it definitely would make more sense from a configuration standpoint, it would make it much easier to nestle those four motor tubes amongst the four fin roots.

OTOH

Four E motors at once is definitely in the range of $20 per flight (did I tell you how cheap I am?), a slippery slope on the way to high-power hell. Myself, I could fly it once or twice but it would probably get retired after that. I kind of start choking at the $10-per-shot level, and like to keep things closer to that (maximum) expense.

Originally posted by NewEntity1
Putting an E9 in a motor mount meant for a D12 woud leave the motor hanging out the end a fair distance, which isn't critical, but is kinda ugly looking :D.

You might get away with this, ugly or not, but you should definitely check for stability with this motor.
The E is not only longer, but heavier, and the extra length hanging out the rear moves the motor center-of-gravity significantly aft. All these things are BAD. Let me repeat, BAD.

Definitely run a sim, or swing-check, or both. Or have a good bunker handy near the launch pad.

Originally posted by sandman
Don't forget the Aerotech F21 Single Use motor!
24mm by 3.75" Fits into an Estes "E" motor mount.
If you can find 'em.
sandman

I haven't seen anywhere to get these for a good price these days, AT does not seem to have gotten around to making any more before running into trouble again.
Any tips?
Who has 'em?
Who has 'em cheap?

Hey, don't look at me!

As far as I'm concerned the F21's are just a rumor...I've never seen one yet.

sandman

...As far as I'm concerned the F21's are just a rumor...I've never seen one yet.

sandman
The F21 is the 1st composite I flew when I got back into rocketry. Nice and loud with alot of smoke. I still have a dozen or so of them.

As far as I'm concerned the F21's are just a rumor...I've never seen one yet.

sandman

Lol --However, they fired off TWO of the buggers at the launch I went to on Dec. 7th :D

Meanwhile...isn't there a new Econojet SU call the F20-W? Aerotech has it listed on their website, but the webpages of the retail distributers didn't have it listed yet, last time I checked...

Opps my bad...the F20-xW is a 29mm SU, not a 24mm.
:p

best thing ive done with a big daddy was fixed my friends after the kid stepped on it...

Blue_Ninja_150,

I'm not seeing a picture.

I noticed that it's a bmp file.

Try saving it as a jpeg and downloading it that way. jpegs are smaller than bmp files.

sandman

I have a few 24mm F21s floating around here somewhere. I bought 8 at once when I found them and am glad that I did. I fly my Maxi Brute V2 with them, and I just LOVE this motor.

Back