Found this at Hobby Lobby...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mugs914

Beware of the leopard.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No coupon required. Check out the price!

IMG_20161015_222504.jpg

The box had been opened, so I suppose that is why it was marked down so much. Pretty neat little part!

IMG_20161015_222609.jpg

I had no idea what I was going to do with it but had to have it at that price! When I got home I grabbed the spares box and did a little fiddling...

IMG_20161015_222859.jpgIMG_20161015_222913.jpg

What do you think? Kind of has an old-school feel that sort of appeals to me. I can almost see it sitting on the moonscape in the old Estes catalog!

Of course, if all else fails I could actually use it as a booster stage...:eyeroll:

Hobby Lobby has been ditching the Booster-55 units for a while now, and $.99 is about the right price.

that design looks like a SPEV variant to me.

Kind of like Fishhead's version seen here:

EstesSPEVatVOA.jpg

Last edited:
that design looks likea SPEV variant to me.

Kind of like Fishhead's version seen here:

EstesSPEVatVOA.jpg

Hadn't thought of that one. I guess it is a SPEV, if the stories about the origins of that name are correct...

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one, the look has really grown on me. Fits right in with the old Saros, Scout, Avenger look.

Maybe I need to call it an Astron something...

They have been 99 cents at all Hobby Lobby stores for a year or so.

Buy one and get a two pack of D12-0 with the 40% off coupon.

I picked one of these up too for $0.99. We use it as intended. It gives my daughter's E2X LGM kit (usually low and slow) some pretty impressive flights.

FlightGraph.png

Oh, they will. They are not in the Discontinued section, they are on the normal retail shelf.

I have been buying them and they have been restocking them for a year.

Good to know. This was the first time I noticed them. I'll have to check and see if they put out ant more.

By the way, this is what my $.99 booster ended up being:

IMG_20161029_122224.jpgIMG_20161029_122105.jpg

A few more detail bits to add then paint. Going to go with the typical black, white, silver and day glow red sounding rocket/space launch vehicle paint scheme.

I picked up one myself a few days ago. I don't have a specific need/use for it in mind yet, but for $0.99? Why not? :wink:

Was just at Hobby Lobby and found two of these marked at $12.99!! Think someone made a small error........

They're $0.99 at my stores too. Highest I ever saw them was $5.99 and that was a very long time ago. Picked up a few for some easy D powered junk kits back then. Just haven't done anything with them yet.

Only issue with the PSII booster is its a 2" tube. Estes exclusive. No secondary source for it. Otherwise it'd be a nice option also.

And the price of the 29mm BP motors is a bit high compared to the performance and price of equivalent composite motors. Of course the entire BP line has hit a pretty significant high on price.

I love the idea of taking these add on parts and making something new with them. I am beginning to have issues when it cost more to launch a rocket than it did to make it

Back