Found NC-80K and longer BT-80's on Estes site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markschnell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe all this is commonly known by others but wasn't to me. Thought I'd share it.

I'm planning on a cloning a Centuri Magnum Jayhawk and I thought I might clone a Maxi-Alpha 3 too someday so I needed to find a PNC-80K. That's the one they also used in the Estes Phoenix and others. Estes doesn't list it on their site with their other nose cones. The only NC-80 size they have listed in the regular nosecone section under accessories is the NC-80b, the one used in Fat Boy, etc.

Anyway, just for the heck of it I plugged in NC-80K in the search bar on their site and they do sell one. It's in the TARC section and it goes for 4.99. I bought two of those and also when you go to their regular section for body tubes you can buy two 14.2" pieces of BT-80 for 9.99, but in the TARC section you can buy a 23.5" BT-80 for 5.99. Yes, that means I'm going to clone a few rockets without having to use couplers and without having to deal with that transition line between two pieces.
For what it's worth... You can find it here on their site. Keep scrolling down till you find the rocket parts section.

Rocketarium has a good price on the BT-80K nose cone in bulk, 6 pack.
https://www.rocketarium.com/Bulk/Nose-Cones/80-6Also a good price on BT-80 tubing in bulk, 6 pack.
https://www.rocketarium.com/Bulk/Tubes/80

Great price, especially on their body tubes that are 18". That would save having to use couplers on many different rocket clones that call for them.

Do these nosecones from Rocketarium take paint easily or are they like the ones used in their Jayhawk that are made from polypropylene instead of styrene like the Estes version? Apogee talks about that being an issue on their page for that kit.

Last edited:
Do these nosecones from Rocketarium take paint easily or are they like the ones used in their Jayhawk that are made from polypropylene instead of styrene like the Estes version? Apogee talks about that being an issue on their page for that kit.

I've painted a 60 and 80 HIPS nosecone from them; no issues. They are really nice nosecones, a bit beefy :)

I never noticed the tube/cone bulk packs on their site. That's dangerous...

Maybe all this is commonly known by others but wasn't to me. Thought I'd share it.

I'm planning on a cloning a Centuri Magnum Jayhawk and I thought I might clone a Maxi-Alpha 3 too someday so I needed to find a PNC-80K. That's the one they also used in the Estes Phoenix and others. Estes doesn't list it on their site with their other nose cones. The only NC-80 size they have listed in the regular nosecone section under accessories is the NC-80b, the one used in Fat Boy, etc.

Anyway, just for the heck of it I plugged in NC-80K in the search bar on their site and they do sell one. It's in the TARC section and it goes for 4.99. I bought two of those and also when you go to their regular section for body tubes you can buy two 14.2" pieces of BT-80 for 9.99, but in the TARC section you can buy a 23.5" BT-80 for 5.99. Yes, that means I'm going to clone a few rockets without having to use couplers and without having to deal with that transition line between two pieces.
For what it's worth... You can find it here on their site. Keep scrolling down till you find the rocket parts section.

the Centuri Jayhawk was one of my favorites. Here’s another idea
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/001326_COLOSSUS.pdf
80est22-jpg.65867

I pilfered that color scheme for my Centuri design manual plan build of the Achilles, 13 mm powered.
dsc_8375-jpg.379779

Last edited:

If you can still get/find a Estes Red Flare Rocket it’s a good one to use for a Clone of the Maxi-Alpha 3 and a Colossus.
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1954.htm

the Centuri Jayhawk was one of my favorites. Here’s another idea
https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/001326_COLOSSUS.pdf

I pilfered that color scheme for my Centuri design manual plan build of the Achilles, 13 mm powered.

Love that Achilles!! Plus, you used the ancient Greek, nice! I've spent a little time in Greek and Hebrew in seminary and since as a preacher.

I've been thinking hard about that Colossus too. Stickershock has the decals for not too awful much. Next time he does a sale I'll probably pick up that one and the Maxi-Alpha 3.

@GlenP and @TigerHawk , I had no idea that the Colossus had the same plastic fin assembly as the Maxi-Alpha 3. I read through the instructions you attached, Glen, and they describe how the nosecone and fins are molded in red. Talk about double-duty! Estes probably sold a bunch of each back in the day and only had to change a few things for their trouble. I
I've kind of added to my tastes in the last few years. I used to be stuck on scale, and exotic starship kind of stuff and was a snob to 3 and 4FNC type rockets. Now I've begun to really appreciate them and have added a bunch to my fleet.

If you can still get/find a Estes Red Flare Rocket it’s a good one to use for a Clone of the Maxi-Alpha 3 and a Colossus.
http://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1954.htm

Do you know of any other kits they used that same fin and nosecone set with? I didn't know about the Red Flare as I was a snob to rockets like those when it was in their lineup. A quick look on eBay only found one sold with another rocket for too much money, but I'll bet they come up from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'll just use the regular Alpha shaped fin in balsa (or plywood or basswood for extra strength) and use red decals or paint to duplicate the plastic fin assembly in the Maxi-Alpha.

Do you know of any other kits they used that same fin and nosecone set with? I didn't know about the Red Flare as I was a snob to rockets like those when it was in their lineup. A quick look on eBay only found one sold with another rocket for too much money, but I'll bet they come up from time to time. I'm pretty sure I'll just use the regular Alpha shaped fin in balsa (or plywood or basswood for extra strength) and use red decals or paint to duplicate the plastic fin assembly in the Maxi-Alpha.
The only rockets that I know of that had those plastic parts was the Colossus, Maxi-Alpha 3 and Red Flare. Could be some others, but just not aware of any more. I do believe that these plywood fins are the correct or close to the size for a BT-80 sized Clone.
https://www.rocketryworks.com/plywood-swept-fins-ttw-fits-24mm-in-bt-80-set-of-3/https://www.rocketryworks.com/plywood-swept-fins-ttw-fits-29mm-in-bt-80-set-of-3/

The only rockets that I know of that had those plastic parts was the Colossus, Maxi-Alpha 3 and Red Flare. Could be some others, but just not aware of any more. I do believe that these plywood fins are the correct or close to the size for a BT-80 sized Clone.
https://www.rocketryworks.com/plywood-swept-fins-ttw-fits-24mm-in-bt-80-set-of-3/https://www.rocketryworks.com/plywood-swept-fins-ttw-fits-29mm-in-bt-80-set-of-3/
Wow, thanks for the heads up on those! That's exactly it, the description even says it's the exact replica of the Maxi-Alpha 3. I've not bought anything from them yet but I see a purchase coming soon.

I have an Alpha Maxi 3 launch set still in the box, I started doing more of my own downscales to mini power just so I don’t run out of space. I like the unique artwork in those classic kits, that’s all part of the fun. And those big ones can get pretty high but not out of sight so you are less likely to lose them!

Thanks again for the heads up on Rocketryworks. I just established an account with them to order stuff and they gave me a 100 reward points just for doing that, which come out to ten buck off my order!! I ordered two sets of those fins and plywood centering rings and a few other things. I'm impressed with them already! It ended up being free shipping and still money off the actual order. Gotta love that.
P.S. Don't tell my wife.

Thanks again for the heads up on Rocketryworks. I just established an account with them to order stuff and they gave me a 100 reward points just for doing that, which come out to ten buck off my order!! I ordered two sets of those fins and plywood centering rings and a few other things. I'm impressed with them already! It ended up being free shipping and still money off the actual order. Gotta love that.
P.S. Don't tell my wife.
They’ve got all kinds of great stuff the reward points help out alot. Your wife will like that you saved money 😎

Wow, thanks for the heads up on those! That's exactly it, the description even says it's the exact replica of the Maxi-Alpha 3. I've not bought anything from them yet but I see a purchase coming soon.
IMO, the Maxi Alpha 3 was only usefull as a fin flutter demonstrator. It would be interesting to use the Astrocam and an altimeter or IMU to measure the actual flutter speed. The Maxi Alpha was one of my favorites and mine was modifie with a 29mm motor mount. Even with the surface mounted balsa fins it flew well on composite E and F motors. If you replace the plastic fins with TTW plywood, it is no longer a Maxi Alpha 3.

IMO, the Maxi Alpha 3 was only usefull as a fin flutter demonstrator. It would be interesting to use the Astrocam and an altimeter or IMU to measure the actual flutter speed. The Maxi Alpha was one of my favorites and mine was modifie with a 29mm motor mount. Even with the surface mounted balsa fins it flew well on composite E and F motors. If you replace the plastic fins with TTW plywood, it is no longer a Maxi Alpha 3.

Gotta offer a friendly pushback on your last sentence. In your opinion, it would no longer be a Maxi Alpha 3. Is the Mars Snooper no longer a Mars Snooper since Estes has changed things on it? Is any rocket that deviates from the original design no longer able to be called by the original name? If the answer is yes, then you are correct. But think about it, since you modified yours for a 29MM motor mount can we still call it the Maxi Alpha 3? I mean, you're talking fin flutter, I'm pretty sure those fins fluttered a whole lot differently with an F than they would with a D12-3.

When and if I build the Maxi Alpha 3 with plywood fins most people wouldn't be able to tell it doesn't have original plastic fin unit until they pick it up and look closely.

Again, just friendly pushback. I rarely disagree with people online because people are so quick to start flaming back and forth. Your opinion has just as much weight as mine.

Gotta offer a friendly pushback on your last sentence. In your opinion, it would no longer be a Maxi Alpha 3. Is the Mars Snooper no longer a Mars Snooper since Estes has changed things on it? Is any rocket that deviates from the original design no longer able to be called by the original name? If the answer is yes, then you are correct. But think about it, since you modified yours for a 29MM motor mount can we still call it the Maxi Alpha 3? I mean, you're talking fin flutter, I'm pretty sure those fins fluttered a whole lot differently with an F than they would with a D12-3.

When and if I build the Maxi Alpha 3 with plywood fins most people wouldn't be able to tell it doesn't have original plastic fin unit until they pick it up and look closely.

Again, just friendly pushback. I rarely disagree with people online because people are so quick to start flaming back and forth. Your opinion has just as much weight as mine.
I think you missed my point: Maxi Alpha good, Maxi Alpha 3 less so. The interesting feature of the 3 was the plastic fins, and although they were prone to flutter, they were tough enough to survive and fly another day. If you build one with plywood fins, it is more akin the Maxi Alpha than to the Maxi Alpha 3.

Yes, I would agree, in keeping with Estes naming conventions, the new Mars Snooper should be called Maxi Mars Snooper.

I have never built a Maxi Alpha 3, but I have seen many of them fly.

Ah, gotcha. You're right, if I use the plywood fins I'm definitely much closer to Maxi Alpha. The reason I would build the 3 instead of the Maxi Alpha is that I personally like the looks of it better. It's kind of gawdy and fun. I'd build and fly a stock one with the plastic fins but they're a load of money when you can find one. I can clone a look alike for much less money. I'm not a strict purist in that sense.

I can say with certainty that Maxi Alpha 3 fins will not withstand an F44 flight. 😁
I've seen fins coming off the Maxi Alpha 3, but I don't know the details. My Maxi Alpha had made multiple flights with the Pro-Jet F45, but a bad E20 burned it up.

Back