Found a box of old rockets I had forgotten about.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13

Reaction score
Cleaning in the boiler room yesterday I found 2 plastic tubs of rockets I had forgotten about. They must have been put away 10-15 years ago.

F7VvBtt.jpg

uULg7gg.jpg

The Centuri Space shuttle is the old Blast From the Past kit (Late 90's or early 2000's?) It's flown many times, and looks like it!

I never finished the SST Shuttle, it's the Semroc version.

Most of the rockets are from the glory days of Quest, FlisKits, and Semroc when Estes was a shadow of what they are now.

Some have build threads on the old TRF.

I know I had a Mach 10 clone but I can't find it.

Wow! There are some golden oldies in there. What a find. Beautiful. BTW: I love that "space plane thing" on top of the box. What is that?

Andrew

Thanks!
The circular one is the Astron Invader K-19, a clone.
The Goonie shuttle is the Mini Shuttle 1391, another clone.

I really liked all the aeroshroud kits, they looked great and mostly flew well.

I have the DC-X in my retired fleet, flew it many times until it broke a landing leg, I could fix it I guess.

Nice find. I love finding old rockets and rocket collections. You need to share more details of that large unfinished space plane with us. More pics, DIM's etc. I'd really like to build one of those.

In fact, post pics of everything. You have some really unique stuff there.

Thanks for sharing.

I see a gyroc and the space shuttle both old favorites from the 60s. My space shuttle would assume a horizontal flight pattern right after the propellant ran out. It was not a high flight, but it was pretty spectacular.

Nice find. I love finding old rockets and rocket collections. You need to share more details of that large unfinished space plane with us. More pics, DIM's etc. I'd really like to build one of those.

In fact, post pics of everything. You have some really unique stuff there.

Thanks for sharing.

The unfinished space plane is the Centuri SST Space shuttle, It's a SEMROC Retro kit from the mid 2000's

There is an old Estes DOM shuttle stack in there also, A FlisKits Avalar(?) and a poor attempt to do a Goonie version.

I'm on the road now, I'll post photo's when I return home this weekend.

I see a gyroc and the space shuttle both old favorites from the 60s. My space shuttle would assume a horizontal flight pattern right after the propellant ran out. It was not a high flight, but it was pretty spectacular.

Thats not a Gyroc, If you mean the blue one thats the FlisKits Avalar. But I do have one somewhere......Just where?

Yah, the Centuri Spaceshuttle always gave an interesting flight!

Too bad I didn't find a Porsche 914-6 hidden in the back of my garage when I cleaned that out last fall!

Thanks!

The Spaceplane is the Semroc parts pack from around 2005. It flew real nice until an over achieving A8-3 ejection charge blew the back off.

Gyroc---definitely the '60s. It was always the "Free Kit" you got when you ordered a sufficient amount of stuff. I always thought they couldn't sell it, so gave it away to deplete the overstock. I know I never built any of the ones I got.

Space Shuttle = 1980s. The design didn't exist until early '70s when the Critical Design Review fixed its shape.

That looks like a lovely K-31 Starblazer in the lower right corner of the plastic bin. I wonder if eRockets still has those conversion casings that lets you glue a 13mm motor into them to make something that will fit a shorty motor model like that one. Yours is much nicer than my first one....and looks to be nicer even than the clone I built MUCH more recently.

That is the StarBlazer, I cloned it a while ago but I built it with a 13mm motor mount.

That was a fun build. I've only flown it once, I think.

@mach7 - You certainly hit the jackpot with those finds. I always liked the Starblazer, but it was so hard for me to carve the canopy out of that balsa block. :questions:
But I still have one of mine and I intend to convert it to 13mm some day. A friend of mine built the Invader, (it was so hard to trim), but one day it took off due west for about a minute, and then turned around and came straight back to the pad. An amazing flight for that glider.

Great stuff, hope you have fun with it!

Back