Found-6 Months Later

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5x7

Reaction score
On Sept 13, 2013, the weather in the morning was predicted to be 1 MPH. It was possible to fly very high and not outfly the park. In the picture that pole is a huge flagpole, you can see there is no wind. I got a few rockets together. One was an Estes Skywinder, modified to take a 24 mm motor. It had flown a bunch of times, landing pretty close.

ForumRunner_20130325_002804.jpg

ForumRunner_20130325_002852.jpg

The Skywinder flies on a D12-5 but has 1/8" launch lugs. It took off at a slight angle toward the bushy area in post 1 just to the left of the pole. My heart sank as it spun and spun toward the undergrowth and disappeared. I searched for about an hour on the back side and then again later walking straight in but the bushes and small trees were too thick, I even flushed a deer. I figured I would wait until fall came and try again when the leaves were down, but there never seemed to be a good day until today.

Last edited:
Today I brought a compass and found my original launch location and took a bearing on the line where it went down. I was able to keep the flag pole in view with the leaves down so I was able to keep on bearing pretty well ducking around sticker bushes and trees. About 75 feet in, it appeared about 15 feet to my left-tada! I must have been a few feet away in my original search but that area had grass so it was tall back in Sept.

ForumRunner_20130325_004556.jpg

I picked it up and the tube was like a wet noodle, but I really wanted to get the other parts especially the heavily modifed engine mount. The motor was very swollen in the mount, I was afraid it was damaged.

Last edited:
I got it home an peeled out the motor, the mount looks ok.

ForumRunner_20130325_005746.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130325_005846.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130325_005846.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20130325_005918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130325_005918.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 83
Next I started in the middle and unwound the wet tube, freeing it from the mounting points on the ends. The rotor decals are a little faded but this should be an easy fix with a new tube, I have one from another kit if I can't find one.

Very good. I'm glad you were able to locate it. Very fortunate that the important parts are plastic. Re-make, re-model.

I am glad you found it. I had an SR 71 stay hidden for 9 months after the chute failed to deploy. I found it in the blackberries just 8 feet off of the road. I don't know how many times I walked past it. It is always feels good to recovery your rocket...a peace of mind thing, I guess.

I am glad you found it. I had an SR 71 stay hidden for 9 months after the chute failed to deploy. I found it in the blackberries just 8 feet off of the road. I don't know how many times I walked past it. It is always feels good to recovery your rocket...a peace of mind thing, I guess.

Was it ok?

5x7, I am interested in the method you used to mod the 18mm fin can for the 24mm engines. My Sky Twister mod is coming heavier than I had planned and using a D engine would make for safer flights. I have 3 extra end caps, but only 1 fin can, so I have no room to mess up. Thanks in advance for any insight.

There are ribs that hold the motor inside the fwd end of the motor mount that need to be partly removed, as well as most of the rear ring. It looks like I did it with an evacto knife, it is pretty rough.

ForumRunner_20130325_195930.jpg

ForumRunner_20130325_200000.jpg

I am sure I did a little at a time and test fit the mount often, it is just a standard mount. I cut a notch in the rear mount for the motor hook also.

ForumRunner_20130325_200338.jpg

Here is the standard ring next to the modified ring.

ForumRunner_20130325_200507.jpg

Good luck with your mod! Remember to add nose weight and rebalance the model with a D loaded to the original balancing point of the original loaded with a C.

Last edited:
Congrats! I love it when you find a lost old friend. I flew my Skywinder at the club launch this Saturday since the ground was nice and soft for a safe landing.

5x7, I am interested in the method you used to mod the 18mm fin can for the 24mm engines. My Sky Twister mod is coming heavier than I had planned and using a D engine would make for safer flights. I have 3 extra end caps, but only 1 fin can, so I have no room to mess up. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Aerotech makes a 18mm composite D10 that works in the standard 18mm mount.

Was it ok?

No! The winter rains had taken their toll. It fell apart when I picked it up. It now sits on a shelf as a reminder to properly fold the parachute and to do a puff test before flying.

Back