Formula 200 prepping for 12/12 launch.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Greetings, rocketry fans. We just got word that MDRA is resuming Higgs Farm high waiver launches on December 12 - 13. I am getting my 8" X 10' Madcow Formula 200 ready to go. The motor will be a Loki M2550. Simms to about 5000'.

Of course, we all know that without pictures, it is a flight of fancy. So here is the evidence.

Here is the main all bagged up with the pilot chute attached. The main is a 15' silk military surplus chute. It is a pain with 18 shroud lines, but looks beautiful coming down. The pilot is a TFR 3' standard. The bag is by Fruity Chutes.

1606853593133.png

Here's the sled and AV lids. The sled is a piece of light ply from Hobby Lobby. The alts are an Altus Metrum EasyMini for the primary, and a MissileWorks RRC3 for the backup. Charges are 3.8 and 5.0 for the drogue, and 4.0 and 5.5 for the main. Wiring and wells are from Doghouse (Binder Design). Duracell 9V batteries are oriented downward so that the G-force of liftoff pushes the connections together, rather than pull them apart. E-matches are the Bilusocn Chinese ones. I have two per well in parallel, so a total of eight.

1606853866180.png

The sealed AV bay. I smudged out my cell phone number with MS Paint. Switches are the plastic Schurter ones, which I will eventually replace with 3/4" metal key switches. I also noticed that the sled is covering at least one sampling port, so I need to reorient it.

1606854110405.png

Drogue chute, blanket and harness. Drogue is a Rocketman 3' Pro-Experimental, blanket and harness by OneBadHawk.

1606854204681.png

And the main all wrapped and ready, with a ball-bearing swivel. OneBadHawk for the harness and blanket again.

1606854273890.png

I'll be back to display the motor and thrust plate once I am ready.

Good luck John! I’m sure your flight will go well as you usually do. Everything looks great except that one rusty quick link :angel:

Unfortunately I am not able to return for Higgs Farm yet as I‘m home with a broken ankle. It’s my right driving foot so I can’t even drive there to watch.

Good luck John! I’m sure your flight will go well as you usually do. Everything looks great except that one rusty quick link :angel:

Unfortunately I am not able to return for Higgs Farm yet as I‘m home with a broken ankle. It’s my right driving foot so I can’t even drive there to watch.

Ouch, that's no good. Got any building projects going on to pass the time while you're mending?

good luck on the flight my friend!

that M2550 is a very nice motor. looking forward to a picture or video of the flight

Man, they let you guys launch? We’re shut down due to COVID.
Outside with masks, we're good to go. Could change at any moment. We did shutdown March thru August.

I wasn't there today, but we had a rare weekend for December. Highs in the low 60s, low winds. Very nice!

Okay, here's the story.

I had everything packed (recovery wise) at home. All I had to do was slide in the bundle and attach the quick-links at each end (four in all). The NC has its bulkhead recessed, so i slid the harness with the quick-link connecting the main harness and swivel, screwed it onto the U-bolt, and attached the NC.

When the main charge went off, I got a nice separation ... like ... a complete separation. The main harness must have slipped off the quick-link while I was attaching it.

The NC floated away on the main chute, nice and slowly. The airframe came down on the drogue only from 1000'.

Fortunately, I was able to recover everything in great shape, no damage.

The GPS data was weird, so I won't post it. But here is the RRC3:

1607991834175.png

Note the lack-o change in the descent velocity when the main deployed. I will try hard not to let that happen again!

I haven't downloaded the Altus Metrum yet.

Here's the video from my perspective:

Thanks! You have a gift for being able to track rockets once they are far away, pointing straight up and zoomed in. Enjoyed that! (Well, until the main came out. 😵)

Back