Forming a boat tail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone hope you guys are doing great!

I need some suggestions on forming a boat tail. Awhile back I would say maybe 2-3 years ago I got a Q-Modeling Bullpup for Christmas as a gift and I would like build it, but not sure the best techniques for forming and shaping the boat tail. The first time I tried; the AFT section of the boat tail where the support ring is glued in had a 1/16" gap. Just guessing, but maybe it wasn't that big, but significantly enough to where the ring was not flush to be glued to the surface. I never could quite understand this??:confused2: I cut the pattern exactly and followed instructions on shaping and forming it. The ends butt flush perfectly, but the diameter was too big. I think the only way to correct this is to slightly trim material off one end to change the diameter (make it smaller) and maybe this would resolve the issue? I guess another way would be to make (2) boat tails to take up the gap and also make it stronger. I was going to contact Q-Modeling to get another "cut" pattern, but it looks like they might not be opening anytime soon.

According to a video I watched on Apogee's website Tim suggested using Bristol Board as the material to make a boat tail. So I purchased a couple sheets because I figured I would need some practice. I remember when I made my first boat tail it seemed like I spent way too much time trying to curve it. I used the sharp edge of my work bench to start the shape it and then used a few different sized dowels and spent a couple hours trying to get it just right. It seemed after a certain point that it wouldn't curve anymore. I'm always afraid I might tear it half if I put too much pressure on it when shaping.

Also after you get shaped and formed and glued up to the support rings(s) what is the best method to strengthen it? I was considering using thin CA and then coming over it with spot putty glaze, but after it's been attached to the AFT section of the rocket.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded post.

Last edited:
In order to get them to curve, I just put them on a foam pad and roll a dowel over it until it curls. Roll the dowel in an arcing motion to follow the curve in the transition.

Look at US rockets . He has a booklet that cover that . Boat tail ,transitions and nose cones . Link is on my signature thanks chris

Just wanted to pick this thread up again. After buying some Bristol board and forming a few boat tails I was able to get the technique down where I'm comfortable with the process. I found I like the Bristol board better than the stock material the kit came with. It seems a lot easier to work with and rolls a lot easier. The only difference is I have to cut the pattern, but that's not a big deal.

2014-04-27 19.39.45.jpg2014-04-27 19.40.30.jpg2014-04-27 19.41.30.jpg2014-04-27 19.41.49.jpg2014-04-27 19.42.23.jpg2014-04-27 19.39.45.jpg2014-04-27 19.40.54.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to cut another pattern and this is the one I'll go with. The assembly process for this boat tail is pretty straight forward. There are a total (4) rings that make up the boat tail and provide support. The bottom ring is made out of balsa wood and helps form and support the shape of the boat tail. The next is the AFT centering made out of card stock and fit directly over the support ring. There's a middle card ring and then the last largest ring which fits flush with the upper section of the boat tail. Using the engine mount tube helps align the rings. What's nice is the rings are slightly "notched" to clear the card stock glue tab for the boat tail so they slide nicely into place.

Like I said keep in mine the formed boat tail you see is NOT the one I'm using. I simply wanted to get a feel to how to foam the shape and how well the rings fit. I did have to slightly trim each end of the pattern to take out any slop / gap that was there before. And all the boat tails you see in the back ground were part of that experimenting process to get the best possible fit.

I'm also going to eliminate the engine hook and go with an Aeropack 24mm L2 motor retainer. I think it would look great on this kit. For $15 why not?

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build.../Screw-On_Retainers/24mm_AeroPack_Retainer_L2

Last edited:
Back