Forgot the launch lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlin523

Reaction score
Can not believe I completed the rocket, primered it, painted it, and realized no launch lugs. Really dumb. Do I need to scrape away some paint before glueing them on?

Can not believe I completed the rocket, primered it, painted it, and realized no launch lugs. Really dumb. Do I need to scrape away some paint before glueing them on?

Welcome to the club! I've done the same.

Yes, you do need to scrape away paint in order to get a good bond.

-Kevin

Member here too - at least you realized it before trying to put it on the pad :rolleyes:

I've done the same.

Luckily though, I had 15 min epoxy in my flight box, so I epoxied an Aerotech igniter tube onto the rocket and launched it anyways.

I've lost track of how many times I've made this mistake. It can really mess up a good paint job...

If God did not want you to use launch lugs--he never would have invented them.

What you do is, you say something clever and sophisticated-sounding, like "I was going to use a tower launcher, but decided against it" or if the rocket is big enough for this one to be believable: "I thought I might use rail buttons but changed my mind"

I have a story similar to yours but my launch lugs were improperly aligned with each other so it doesn't slides easy on the rod. So what I did was use a cotton swab and cleaned an area with paint with acetone all the way down to the bare tube. Then I attached lugs with a rod so i know for sure its aligned. All of this was a day prior to its maiden launch.

Hear me Father for I have sinned.

I was so focused on finishing this rocket to a standard I never tried to achieve previously, that I finished the blue body tube without masking off for the fins (although I did mask off for the pods, go figure).

Same deal with the launch lugs, although I actually built the darn thing without even thinking about launch lugs. (see my previous thread for more embarrassing details.)

The launch lugs I just superglued to the painted body tubes. I've done this before (slow learner) and have had no problems.

I tried this with the fins also. Worked great for its maiden voyage today, but a fin detached on a soft landing. I'm just going to epoxy them in place.

And never make this mistake again.....................................

ELVIS post.jpg

You can make your own piston launchers, I keep a couple 18mm-29mm ones becasuse I tend to never put lugs on my scratch builds.....,there are no instructions to remind me to do so.....:D butif you don't scrap off the paint the bond will only be as strong as the paint bond to the tube....:y:

Used my Xacto knife to scrape down past the primer, put the lugs on it, and hit them with a little paint. It came out great.

Back