For those who've installed the MAC Performance Nose Cone Bay...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_Stack

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good Evening All;

Purchased a MAC Performance Nose Cone Bay kit (54mm), intended for installation in a 3" diameter Pinnacle nose cone. Quality of the parts making up the kit is first rate; I'd read other accounts on here of MAC kits, folks talking about how the pieces fit together with no slop, even dry-fit rockets are nearly airworthy, etc., these pieces are no exception.

Cut the very back end off the nose cone, and following a little sanding on the inside of the shoulder to address excess thickness at the mold join line, the 'bulkhead'/base assembly fits just right. Because I cut the very base off the nose cone shoulder, the shoulder is still 4.25" long, and that is the root of my 'issue'.

The forward centering ring is intended to go inside the nose cone up above the end of the shoulder, so that it is braced by the molded in shoulder.

Because the shoulder is so long, I can't reach up into the nose cone that far (my fingers are NOT those of a concert pianist or NBA player). I can flex the nose cone to get the centering ring up inside (I think), but am concerned that I'll not be able to get it back out of there for any sanding, etc. that may be needed.

So for those who installed one of these, care to offer any suggestions on how to maneuver that forward centering ring into position (and be able to get it back out of there should adjustment be needed? I suspect I may need to cut the length of the shoulder to make it easier to reach the forward end...

Thanks in advance

I've done many, many of these the same way you have with a longer shoulder. Squeeze the cone slightly with your hand and fit the ring in edge first. Same for taking it out, spin it on edge, squeeze the shoulder, and pull.

Back