For those who think that the US (and possibly others) are overreacting to Coronavirus:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
Reaction score
Look up Jim Crow and gerrymandering for other dirty tricks that this one political party has done in the past.
Just going to point out that Jim Crow laws were instituted by democrats.

I'll also point out before flaming starts that both parties were very different 120-130 years ago when that was happening.

I'll leave it at that.

shockie

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So, I guess far right OANN must actually be a part of your liberal fake news media as well?
U.S. civil rights groups sue Georgia over sweeping new voting restrictions | One America News Network (oann.com)
Excerpts:
"Among other limits, the law imposed stricter identification requirements, limited drop boxes, gave lawmakers the power to take over local elections and shortened the early voting period for all runoff elections. It also makes it a misdemeanor for people to offer food and water to voters waiting in line. "

"Other Republican-controlled state legislatures are pursuing voting restrictions in key battleground states, including Florida and Arizona, after former President Donald Trump repeatedly blamed his loss to President Joe Biden on massive voter fraud without evidence. "

And Republican Senator Lindsey Graham?
Pressed by Fox News, Sen. Lindsey Graham admits GOP's new voter restrictions don't make sense | Salon.com
Is he part of the conspiracy as well?
End of story.

Getting back on topic, after one year of battling this pandemic we can clearly say the US has, if anything, under reacted, not over reacted. It saddens me to think of how many hundreds of thousands of lives that could have been saved if this nation had acted more robustly.
In football terms, our team had the skills, had the resources, and most importantly, had the game plan (from our medical experts). But we failed to execute the game plan and dropped the ball.
Food and water waiting in line. To vote. Must be an awful long line. Bring a sandwich and a couple bottles of your own water.

Quoting Lindsey Graham or OANN wins you no points with me. Can't stand Graham and I've only been able to stand OANN for about 30 seconds before I have to change the channel.

This is what is great about America: you can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

shockie

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The prohibition on giving food and water to voters is in plain text:

"...nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector..." (see lines 1813-1815)

Now I will respect Marc_G's request to get off of the voter suppression topic.
Do you understand why it is prohibited to give people stuff while waiting in line to vote? Like money,gifts, a bag of groceries, a water bottle with voter for so abd so on it? You can't interact politically with people at a voting site by giving them stuff to encourage them voting your way. We'll you can if your a Democrat. That's just plain common sense.

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Do you understand why it is prohibited to give people stuff while waiting in line to vote? Like money,gifts, a bag of groceries, a water bottle with voter for so abd so on it? You can't interact politically with people at a voting site by giving them stuff to encourage them voting your way. We'll you can if your a Democrat. That's just plain common sense.
Your ability to incessantly repeat talking points while the rest of us are having an adult conversation is remarkable.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
States already have laws that outlaw electioneering within a certain distance from a polling site on election day. Having election officials give out food and water without any political endorsements to prevent people and the elderly from collapsing and being taken away for medical care is a humanitarian gesture.
THAT'S just plain common sense.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Marc and Nate, how are things in Indy?
We have been getting triple digit daily infection numbers the last few days.
The Guv says we may have to go back to Tier 3 restrictions (currently in Tier 2).
Is there a fourth surge on the horizon?
Some European countries are locking down again.

Marc_G

Reaction score
Much better in Indiana now than before. Deaths per day in single digits where they were over 100/day before. Cases just finishing steep decline and maybe edging back up. See below dashboard of cases:
Screenshot_20210401-212247.jpg

Only 5% ICU space for Covid patients now, was close to 50% during winter peak.

NateB

Reaction score
Things have been improving for us. Like the graph Marc posted, bed use due to Covid is way down from a few months ago. My hospital has stopped their "covid command center" and opened a clinic for managing the long term complications in some covid patients. The State mask mandate is due to be lifted on Monday, but some cities and counties may keep one in place. Hopefully this trend keeps up and things return to normal.

NateB

Reaction score
I am watching Michigan though, they have anotger spike right now from the European variants. We go to hospitals there from time to time and I like to enjoy the beaches and wooded areas up there too.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
BianchiBianchiSong_covid_unemployment.pdf (nber.org)
Once again you assumed since it doesn't match what you believe its obviously made up. Also, ironically referencing white power when the unemployment study cites higher impact to minorities and women.
Not at all, and please don't jump to any conclusions absent of the evidence.
I had asked for the source of your theory, to validate its veracity. Thank you for sharing it, since I was genuinely curious.

I do trust that you had checked to see if the paper your rely on was at least published and peer reviewed? Perhaps not, since the one you sited is neither: it's a non-peer reviewed, unpublished, working draft. If you don't know what that means - please google the term.
If you have a background in statistics and/or economics, I would be happy to deep dive with you (offline) into multitude of ways in which this work is comically inept and orthogonal to historical research into impacts on unemployment onto mortality (hint: recessions reduce contemporaneous mortality, long term effects correlate with access to healthcare). But that takes us too far into the weeds of economic theory.

Lets keep things simple - anything that an author refuses to submit to peer review, or doesn't attempt to publish even in a non-peer reviewed form, is junk.
Junk doesn't deserve a deeper debate, or a citation of any kind.
Your reliance on junk science to support your thesis is duly noted.

Cheers!

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Just get immunized and you will not have to worry less about COVID,

Long_Gone

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Na I am good! I took all the shots the Army gave me Like Anthrax that was supposed to save my life in case of an attack, and that is the shot (got it two times so each time there is a series of 6 shots, math 12 shots) the VA said is deteriorating my joints. Now 100% Vet at only 52 years old, sucks to hurt! So this Retired Sergeant First Class is not playing anymore. Have you seen the adverse reactions and deaths? Errr or am I NOT supposed to say that? Might be political.......................................I like rockets, hotdogs, skinny blondes (any really) and No Bullshit! Why cant we have it that way?

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I do not care what individuals do. What I will tell you is that immunization by one, will not reduce the risk for all significantly. It takes 50-70%.

Long_Gone

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, not convinced. But you are doing great work here or otherwise.
I served an ungrateful nation....
Never again

speed

Reaction score
Just curious...Does this vaccine prevent you from getting covid? If you got covid, does this vaccine prevent you from shedding this virus to others? That's what all the advertising I'm hearing is stating.
The literature from 3 manufacturers states that what it does do is help prevent you from getting really sick. You can still get it, and you can still pass it on.
I'm confused....
thx

Marc_G

Reaction score
You are less likely to have an infection established in your body if you are vaccinated. So, your body may fight it off before it establishes a beachhead.

It it does cause an infection, you are very likely to fight it off much more quickly than if you are not vaccinated. So, even if you are infected, the period of time which the virus is replicating in you is likely much shorter, and it will do less damage to you. Your viral load will be much smaller. In other words, you have a good chance that any infection will be either asymptomatic or very light symptoms, compared to unvaccinated people.

Due to the above, the chances of you spreading it are dramatically less than if you were not vaccinated.

So, it's not a magic shield, but it helps you and those around you.

Until we kick this thing, masks indoors are still the best thing to do, to further reduce chance of spread.

modeltrains

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen were that to happen here,

Wearing a mask or face cover in a vehicle occupied by either a single person or multiple persons is compulsory in the view of the prevailing COVID-19 pandemic, the Delhi High Court ruled on Wednesday.

“A mask is a ‘suraksha kavach’ for preventing the spread of the corona virus,” Justice Prathiba M. Singh remarked, while dismissing four different pleas challenging the ₹500 challan issued to persons for not wearing face masks while travelling alone in a private car.

“A vehicle which is moving across the city, even if occupied at a given point in time by one person, would be a public place owing to the immediate risk of exposure to other persons under varying circumstances,” the court said.
(I have a couple writing group friends in India, that's how I heard about it)
(one of them just managed to get vaccinated today)
(vaccinating a population of that scale is totally not happening by next weekend)

Reinhard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious...Does this vaccine prevent you from getting covid? If you got covid, does this vaccine prevent you from shedding this virus to others? That's what all the advertising I'm hearing is stating.
The literature from 3 manufacturers states that what it does do is help prevent you from getting really sick. You can still get it, and you can still pass it on.
I'm confused....
thx
According to the Robert Koch Institute (the relevant agency in Germany), a vaccinated person with COVID is no more (or less, I forgot) of a transmission hazard than an infected person with a negative antigen test.

A little background: Antigen tests (the typical quick tests) are known to be less sensitive than PCR tests, but they are considered a good indicator wether a person is currently infectious. So they are a useful tool for example to allow visits in nursing homes on the same day.

So for any situations where a negative antigen test is considered "good enough", proof of vaccination can also be considered "good enough". While that doesn't quantify the reduction, it is clear that it is significant.

Reinhard

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on Texas stats since they opened up in early March. "all businesses can open to 100% capacity and the statewide mask mandate will be over, though large parts of the state will remain under local mask ordinances."

Click on the "Trends" tab:

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
meanwhile in other news:
Quebec has rolled back nightly curfews in order to try & stem the rise infections & the spread of new variants..

NateB

Reaction score
Brazil is still being hit hard with Covid. According to this article, they are facing a shortage of sedatives and are being forced to intubate patients with paralytics only. Imagine being awake and chemically paralyzed, even for a short time for a procedure.

modeltrains

Reaction score
News from India, via friends there,
... the situation right now is so bad that there is only a rare family that is not sick. entire household are having covid-19 and it is one thing to read in the newspaper and quite another to actually experience shortages when you need things the most. apart from oxygen and ventilators even basic medicines needed by covid patients are in such short supply that it was such an exercise to be able to procure what I needed.
did I tell you my mom's family is also down with covid and no they did not get it from us or we from them , we haven't met in months.
.... this situation is so terribly bad that I can tell you positivity rate is way over 30% in Delhi and right now it is difficult to find someone who is is not having or have had the virus. In a week i still haven't managed to get enoght fever medicine that i need, living from day to day....

modeltrains

Reaction score
News from India, via friends there,
UPDATE:
The update, my ct scan doesn't seem to be clear. Will get the report in the afternoon. Fever is also not going down. Will probably need a new set of medicine. Hoping things will get better soon. Three people in the near family died of covid yesterday. Really sad. Lockdown has been extended. I wonder when this will end!!
This is who the correspondence is from, we became friends in some creative writing and some spaceflight groups way back in the Google Plus days.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that the US and several other countries are sending ventilators, PPE, and medical supplies to India to cope with the crisis.
Pardon my ignorance, but why is the situation so dire in India?
Slow vaccination of the population?
Vaccine not effective against new variants?
Something else?