Quantcast

For those who think that the US (and possibly others) are overreacting to Coronavirus:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

NateB

Reaction score
I voted today. This is the first time I have been in a crowd indoors in 6 months. Polls have been open in my county for early in-person voting for a week. I actually tried to vote yesterday and the lines were out the door. There were 3 lines outside, merging into one, through the lobby and into an expo room which is under the arena floor. I waited an hour yesterday and didn't make it through the lobby and had to be home before my wife had to leave for work.

PSX_20201013_165948.jpg

I went earlier today, just after they opened and only had to wait 25 minutes, which is pretty normal wait for early voting here during a presidential election year.

The election board did a good job allowing for the line to spread out and everyone was wearing a mask in accordance to our state mandate. Normally early voting is set up in the court house, but using an arena and convention center let everything be spread out much more.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I heard on the news here that voting in some places took up to 11 hours :oops:. They were saying that the governor of Texas had mandated that each area only have one drop-box for the votes. For a city like Houston that meant only one box for 4 million people IIRC. Democracy at work. I think I got those figures right but I was driving and listening to the radio at the time.

Hope it all works out well for everyone there.

boatgeek

Reaction score
I heard on the news here that voting in some places took up to 11 hours :oops:. They were saying that the governor of Texas had mandated that each area only have one drop-box for the votes. For a city like Houston that meant only one box for 4 million people IIRC. Democracy at work. I think I got those figures right but I was driving and listening to the radio at the time.

Hope it all works out well for everyone there.
We need to go to the Aussie model of mandatory voting with a community barbeque after the polls close!

We get our ballots in the mail this week, and will put them in the dropbox in a couple of days. The nice thing about voting early is that campaigns can see who has voted and then stop sending mail to those houses.

NateB

Reaction score
One county in Georgia was reporting 10-11 hour waits for early voting. I hope it evens out before election day.

In Texas, the Governor ordered 1 ballot collection box for mail-in ballots for each county. I don't know how Texas manages polling places on election day or if they allow early, in-person voting like Indiana does.

NateB

Reaction score
We need to go to the Aussie model of mandatory voting with a community barbeque after the polls close!
Agreed, I read about the democracy sausages in Australia a couple of years ago and thought it sounded like a fantastic idea.

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I actually tried to vote yesterday and the lines were out the door.
My state went to all mail in voting this year.
So easy. Turnout % for the primary was a record.
And my state has traditionally had one of the lowest voter turnouts in the nation.
In these times mail in voting is the way to go.
Mail in voter fraud is BS. Even the FBI said so.
Only ones opposed to it are those who wish to suppress voting.

Marc_G

Reaction score
One county in Georgia was reporting 10-11 hour waits for early voting. I hope it evens out before election day.

In Texas, the Governor ordered 1 ballot collection box for mail-in ballots for each county. I don't know how Texas manages polling places on election day or if they allow early, in-person voting like Indiana does.
The Georgia situation. The county is fairly liberal and polls are set up to encourage long waits to suppress turnout. I have a friend there.

Mightymango

Reaction score
Here is where I feel lucky about my voting location. In the middle of the country, extremely LOW population density. I'm not doing the early voting but I have no worries about there even being a line next month.

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
Reaction score

Texas allowed early voting when I lived there (5 years ago)

I wish alabama allowed it, but the crowd in power thinks its just another window to voter fraud *doh*

NateB

Reaction score
I wish alabama allowed it, but the crowd in power thinks its just another window to voter fraud *doh*
I am glad it is offered here. I have a 50/50 chance of working on election day and my shift is the same hours the polls are open. I don't have a lunch break and can't really duck out to vote. We can't shut the ship down to go vote either, so if I took a day off, someone else would be in the same position.

It is nonsensical, but voting at the polls feels better than voting absentee.

modeltrains

Reaction score
since we've already got a system where we only get the candidates who the elite have allowed to be candidates,
why not take vote fraud totally out of the realm of possibility by just eliminating voting
and then the elite who have already curated which candidates are even available can
just go on and get their wish to put their selected candidates in power.

Voyager1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pandemic and politics! What a combination! 🤔

Last edited:

boatgeek

Reaction score
I am glad it is offered here. I have a 50/50 chance of working on election day and my shift is the same hours the polls are open. I don't have a lunch break and can't really duck out to vote. We can't shut the ship down to go vote either, so if I took a day off, someone else would be in the same position.

It is nonsensical, but voting at the polls feels better than voting absentee.
I liked going to the polls in person, but it's awfully convenient to fill out the ballot while still in my jammies. And also to cut off the flood of junk mail.

since we've already got a system where we only get the candidates who the elite have allowed to be candidates,
why not take vote fraud totally out of the realm of possibility by just eliminating voting
and then the elite who have already curated which candidates are even available can
just go on and get their wish to put their selected candidates in power.
Funny thing, but the local elections here very often go to the candidate endorsed by our local hippie alt-weekly (technically every 2 weeks and only online during COVID). It'll be interesting to see if they have the same influence when they're online only. Downballot, you basically got 35% for running a real campaign, an additional 10% for getting the endorsement of the serious newspaper in town, and 20% for getting the endorsement of the alt-weekly. The candidate can shift that a little bit, especially if they're at or near the top of the ballot, but not by much.

Voyager1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Through all of this I really wish it wasn't happening in such a turbulent election year. The politicalization (spelling) of everything virus related is REALLY annoying/frustrating.
I wish it wasn’t happening - period! 😕

modeltrains

Reaction score
Personally, I want a President who is like me, autistic.
Seriously,
given that a fourth of Americans are disabled I think we should require every 4th President to be disabled.
CDC: 1 in 4 US adults live with a disability
Cognitive disability most common in younger adults; mobility disability most common for others
Press Release Embargoed Until: Thursday, August 16, 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score

Texas allows early in person voting. In fact, Governor Abbott expanded the period for early voting to the dismay of his fellow republicans. While I, for the most part, like Abbott as governor the bit with the ballot drop offs seems like a bonehead move.

I wonder how many of these places where very long lines are shown are the result of the polling place being set up to deal with numbers of voters who traditionally show up and then being overwhelmed by far higher numbers of people turning out. Also, there is the possibility that the ballots are longer due to the number of discrete races being run this cycle.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Texas allows early in person voting. In fact, Governor Abbott expanded the period for early voting to the dismay of his fellow republicans. While I, for the most part, like Abbott as governor the bit with the ballot drop offs seems like a bonehead move.

I wonder how many of these places where very long lines are shown are the result of the polling place being set up to deal with numbers of voters who traditionally show up and then being overwhelmed by far higher numbers of people turning out. Also, there is the possibility that the ballots are longer due to the number of discrete races being run this cycle.
I believe that Texas also just changed the rules so that you can't do a one-click (or one checkbox) single party vote all the way down the ballot. That would also make voters taking longer on average.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Meanwhile, back at the ranch,

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. —
Sacramento County elections officials are asking people to stop disinfecting their mail-in ballots.
“Voters do not have to worry about contracting COVID from their mail-in ballots," said Courtney Bailey-Kanelos, Registrar of Voters in Sacramento County.
Officials said the ballots themselves were processed by machines weeks ago and are safe to handle.
The registrar told KCRA 3 they have received at least 100 ballots damaged by disinfectant and alcohol spray. In one case, someone even microwaved their ballot in an attempt to get rid of any germs.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Well that sucks majorly, and likely deserves a field promotion to sucks generally.
MIS-A stands for "multi-system inflammatory syndrome in adults." When the condition was identified in children this spring, it was named MIS-C, with the C standing for "children."
Kids were developing dangerous inflammation around the heart and other organs, often weeks after their initial infections with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention alerted physicians to MIS-C in May. As of Oct. 1, the CDC had reported 1,027 confirmed cases of MIS-C, with more cases under investigation.
It was then that Abbo discovered a subset of patients who were critically ill after having had Covid-19, but without the telltale pulmonary issues of an acute infection.
"We were a little disconcerted," Abbo said. "We would do the molecular PCR tests, and they would be negative. Then the antibody tests were positive."
Further blood tests revealed extremely high levels of inflammation in the body.
What's more, while most severely ill Covid-19 patients tend to be over age 65 or to have multiple underlying health problems, these patients "were younger people that you would expect to not get sick," Abbo said.
"That's what caught our attention."
MIS-A treatment
There's no proven treatment for MIS-A. "We need to recognize this syndrome and develop data" to figure out which therapies may be most effective," Abbo said. "We are all just shooting blind."

Cnorm

Reaction score
Don’t confuse anger with panic. I’m pissed off - not panicking. I believe I said that already or were you not paying attention? Plus, who are you to tell me how to react to the situation I am in? You haven’t walked a mile in my shoes. Unfortunately I can’t help how you misinterpret my posts.

Can’t do anything about government actions? I beg to differ.
Such as... kidnapping the governor?

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
I believe that Texas also just changed the rules so that you can't do a one-click (or one checkbox) single party vote all the way down the ballot. That would also make voters taking longer on average.
Yeah, we did away with party line voting. I'm personally a fan of this. It's inconvenient, however it encourages you to think a bit about what you are doing.

NateB

Reaction score
Yeah, we did away with party line voting. I'm personally a fan of this. It's inconvenient, however it encourages you to think a bit about what you are doing.
I think it was 2016 the town drunk (self proclaimed) managed to win the primary for our district representative. Over the years he had run for various local, state, and federal officers across multiple parties, so his name was known. The party did not support him and congratulated his opponent (now our Rep.) He still managed to get 30 or 40k votes which was astonishing. I think most of those represent the straight line voters, because you didn't have to dig hard to see he had no qualifications to run other than meeting the Constitutional requirements for office.

Bill S

Reaction score
In theory that makes sense. I used to actually research the opposing candidate to see if they were someone I could vote for. But I never did find one that I could in good concience vote for, so in practical terms, I just voted for the candidates I supported (which wasn't always my party's candidate as I despised some of them).

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
In theory that makes sense. I used to actually research the opposing candidate to see if they were someone I could vote for. But I never did find one that I could in good concience vote for, so in practical terms, I just voted for the candidates I supported (which wasn't always my party's candidate as I despised some of them).
I've never pulled a party lever in my life. I felt it was my obligation to at least review each candidate and then pick the ones that best matched my ideas for our government. I have sometimes selected the third party as a way of saying "none of the above".

And this is all we can ask of a responsible citizen. Research candidates and vote for the ones you support. Thank you.
Yes times a hundred times. I may not agree with your choices, but at least you made them known. Bravo.

NateB

Reaction score
I got my nasal swab today, it was unpleasant but I have had worse tests done too.

The good part is my phone syncs up with the microchip she snuck in there. I have think to type now which will be great! </sarcasm if you can't tell>