Quantcast

For those who think that the US (and possibly others) are overreacting to Coronavirus:

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That bit of content,

Has me wondering how many modern public transport vehicles here in the US even HAVE open-able windows?
I know Amtrak train cars don't, city buses in nearest city don't.
That bit of content,

Has me wondering how many modern public transport vehicles here in the US even HAVE open-able windows?
And to my knowledge, Delta, American, and United don’t let you roll down the windows either!

boatgeek

Reaction score
That bit of content,

Seattle's buses do, but they're also probably outliers because they're not air-conditioned. The opening part of the windows is pretty small and doesn't really bring in that much air.

NateB

Reaction score
And to my knowledge, Delta, American, and United don’t let you roll down the windows either!
I asked if we could take the doors off the helicopter if they weren't going to let us run the AC due to Covid concerns but that idea was shut down.

modeltrains

Reaction score
I asked if we could take the doors off the helicopter
And speaking of helicopters, my brother who retired from the Army as a W4 a few years ago just sent a message that his wife now has covid.
If I'm just shy of 2/3 a century old then they are just over half a century old.
We know age is a factor.
They live in one of the current surge states.

Last edited:

modeltrains

Reaction score
Google found this just now as I was looking for documentation for a comment I was making over at Starship Modeler.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/livi...0200720-tfcg356kenfibcyqzg2uyfw6zi-story.html
COVID-19 patients could be at risk for chronic fatigue syndrome: ‘Your whole life can change if you get this’
By Darcel Rockett
Chicago Tribune |
Jul 20, 2020 at 10:26 AM
Along about 1986 my Dad was one of the first & I think the literal actual first, US Navy medical retirement with ME/CFS.
Then about 10 years after that, his little sister's MS finally ended her nursing career.
And then about 10 years after that ME/CFS jumped up out of nowhere and ended my working days.

And oh yes, ME/CFS absolutely, positively, will inarguably change your whole life.

NateB

Reaction score
The governors of Indiana and Ohio have both mandated masks to be worn in public. No changes for us, but it will be an unpopular move. I hope it prevents a second lockdown.

OverTheTop

Reaction score
In Melbourne (Australia) we are now mandeated to wear face coverings when out of our house. Our state is spiking to nearly 500 cases per day and authorities are very worried it is getting away from them. We now have about 5 million people in stage three lockdown.

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In Melbourne (Australia) we are now mandeated to wear face coverings when out of our house.
What's the mask-wearing compliance rate in Australia?

I ran across a BBC article that claimed that Australia made the US look good:

OverTheTop

Reaction score
In Melbourne (Australia) they have just mandated mask wearing outside the house. It kicked in at midnight last night. Enormous uptake and I would think the number would have jumped to >80%, literally overnight, from my brief trip to work this morning. Elsewhere in the state and country they are generally recommended but not compulsory.

The reason mask percentage was low was that our numbers were extremely low. Victoria is now spiking (400-500 cases per day) so masks are the new requirement. When they opened up a little people just went back to their old ways, hence the spike :(.

The general reason for not wearing them (20% in the above graphic) is that the numbers in most of the country don't warrant that action. It is a big, sparse country. We also have some hard state borders currently, around states that are doing particularly well against the covid. Nothing to do with partisan politics or individual rights and freedoms.

PatD

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The reason mask percentage was low was that our numbers were extremely low. Victoria is now spiking (400-500 cases per day) so masks are the new requirement. When they opened up a little people just went back to their old ways, hence the spike :(.
That really is just human nature, although it varies by nurture and postal code :rabbitdontknow:. People don't see adverse effects in their provincial area they tend to return to "normal". That propagates spread. Additionally, many young folks are the typical invincible or GAFL class (I was one of the didn't think group :)) they really don't look at outcomes. Here we are spiking a bit. Mask mandate in effect, my wife and I have worn masks for months, just trying to be good neighbors. Many more out with masks now, direction really helps for some.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Same thing has been happening for 30 years to those who have fibromyalgia and/or ME/CFS.

The health care system is dysfunctional.

(because it is comprised of humans and humans are by definition dysfunctional)
These women's coronavirus symptoms haven't gone away. Doctors say it's 'just anxiety.'
“‘Gaslighting’ is the word I’ve been using repeatedly,” said one COVID-19 survivor. “I’m so ill and some people are telling me this is a figment of my imagination."
July 28, 2020, 2:19 PM CDT
By Elizabeth Chuck
p.s. Those of us who are the patients within the incurable illness/chronic illness community have long experienced the sad reality that an all-too-high percentage of both the public and the health care providers are seeming simpletons incapable of processing things which are not in-your-face obvious. And the women have been on the receiving end of it exponentially more often than we men have.

Last edited:

Bill S

Reaction score
Same thing has been happening for 30 years to those who have fibromyalgia and/or ME/CFS.

The health care system is dysfunctional.

(because it is comprised of humans and humans are by definition dysfunctional)

p.s. Those of us who are the patients within the incurable illness/chronic illness community have long experienced the sad reality that an all-too-high percentage of both the public and the health care providers are seeming simpletons incapable of processing things which are not in-your-face obvious. And the women have been on the receiving end of it exponentially more often than we men have.
I also went through this when dealing with Lyme Disease. There were some really ignorant docs out there, and it took me 3 years until I found a doc who had any knowledge of Lyme's beyond the pathetic CDC information. I really believe that if my primary care provider had been worth a crap, he'd have put 2 and 2 together when I presented with a massive rash, since we live in an area that has a high Lyme's incidence, but no... claimed it was a spider bite and sent me on my way. I might have been much better off it he had given me some prophylactic antibiotics, but no.

modeltrains

Reaction score
put 2 and 2 together when I presented with a massive rash, since we live in an area that has a high Lyme's incidence
I'm not a health care provider and I don't play one on social media (though I did go to LPN school in the late 1980s) but I'm pretty sure that if I was, somewhere in my brain those connections would get made.

High Desert Rocketry

Reaction score
My wife and are in the high risk old age group and I still launch twice a month or more with our groups here in California...usually wearing masks and or social distancing. My wife had a colonoscopy yesterday and was required to get tested Saturday before the operation was approved...she tested negative.

Maybe we've just been lucky we haven't contracted the virus but there are many risks in life...my wife's family has a history of colon cancer deaths and two years ago I was sent along with a student to the ER when a driver on the interstate fell asleep and smashed into us on a rocket competition back in Virginia. Yes, rocketry can be dangerous ;)

modeltrains

Reaction score
And in other news, is the news ...

That's an odd topic and headline for an outfit named "AFP Relax News."
Especially given their mission statement.

"Tired of BAD news? AFP-Relaxnews offers an escape from the daily grind. In partnership with Relaxnews, the first leisure news agency, it provides news on upbeat, practical and entertaining subject matter on a worldwide basis."
https://www.afp.com/en/products/partners/etx-studio

modeltrains

Reaction score
And speaking of current COVID situations, found this while looking up news articles about George R R Martin and a railroad purchase back in May,

Making it through
Santa Fe makes guests feel unwelcome

By Joe Schepps For The New Mexican
Jul 27, 2020 Updated Jul 28, 2020
Some guests of ours posted in Tripadvisor that they “loved the Inn” but checked out the following day because locals on the Plaza had profiled them as tourists and yelled offensively, “Go home. We do not want your coronavirus.” Our guests concluded in their posted review that Santa Fe is clearly not ready to return to its former status. This is not a good thing to see happening.
Undeniably, there is no way to get around the fact that our economy is primarily driven by tourism, and that is not a bad thing. What is happening to us as Santa Feans that such a new rage at visitors is emerging, and what is the strategy to reverse these dangerous sentiments?

afadeev

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Oh well, there goes my plan to enter Quebec and spend a few customary summer weeks in Canada, pretending to be driving to Alaska.
Neah, whom am I kidding. I had given up on spending money in Quebec this summer, and had rented a lake house in upstate Maine instead.

BTW, "upstate Maine" maybe a misnomer. I had shamelessly borrowed the terminology from "upstate NY", but am not entirely sure it is applicable to Maine.
Are there such things as downstate / upstate Maine?
Do we have any Main-ers? Main-annites? Southern Quebecois who could opine?

Last edited:

modeltrains

Reaction score

NateB

Reaction score
Here is an interesting article which discusses the number of deaths predicted in the US by statistical models compared with the number of recorded deaths so far this year, and in recent previous years. So far, the number of recorded deaths this year is higher than predicated and is also higher by more than the reported deaths from Covid-19.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Wasn't there an early prediction that by this time, if we did everything we could, US deaths would be in the low 50K range, and if we did nothing, we'd be in the 220K range..

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Less than when we had 85 million infected with Swine Flu, 300,000 hospitalized because of it, and over 12,000 deaths.
There is no way we will see anywhere near 240,000 deaths in the USA from this, that's just fear mongering.
Now that it's August, how do you feel about that claim?

Marc_G

Reaction score
Wasn't there an early prediction that by this time, if we did everything we could, US deaths would be in the low 50K range, and if we did nothing, we'd be in the 220K range..
There were many models, with the do-nothing outcomes ranging from tens of thousands to several million dead by year end. As bad as it is, I shudder to think what it would be like if we had done less/nothing.

Mightymango

Reaction score
I liked this line at the end of the article that NateB posted.

Regardless of the reason, the COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in substantially more deaths than would have otherwise occurred … and it is not over yet.

I'm curious as to how many access deaths are because of mental health issues (suicide for one) as I know some people that have fallen into a SERIOUS depression. Yup...it is not over yet.