For the pilots in the group....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Tips for your FAA Private Pilot exam

Stall it, spin it, and wing it. Dont die.

Your ability to fly is going to be judged by your ability to perform risky aerial maneuvers. If you are looking for great effect, I recommend doing a barrel roll.

Your evaluation will also depend on your ability to take off straight from the hangar. Contact with the ATC is strictly forbidden during such an evaluation.

I truly recommend entering no fly zones. There are no flies there, so you can enjoy a peaceful $100 cheeseburger.

Make sure you bring the nose up as high as possible on take off with minimal thrust.

Impress the examiner by turning off all the radios and giving him a tour of area 51

A key part of the grading is doing as much of the landing as possible without touching the controls.

Put the four numbers "7500" in the little box under the radio stack, then fly to Washington D.C. That code specifically allows you to enter their airspace without talking to anyone. Some say you can even see some fireworks on the way in.

Another plus of visiting DC is the White House lawn. It is an excellent place to demonstrate a short field landing

Don't listen to those pesty cocky fighter pilots telling you to divert. They just ruin the fun.

For an extra challenge, pull the funny looking red knob thingy out immediately after takeoff. It is said to be VERY fuel efficient.

Remember to fly straight through thunderstorms. The strong updrafts provide extra lift, saving fuel.

If the cockpit gets too cold, just turn off the giant fan in front. This will also make the flight much quieter which your examiner will appreciate. He may even get hot and start sweating, maybe even yelling. This means you did the right thing.

Get tutored by Colton Harris Moore. Ensure to mention this to the examiner.

Give your examiner a tour of some really cool places in your area- nuclear power plants, military bases, governmental buildings, etc. Be sure to turn the radios off, they'll only ruin the moment. The closer you get, the better.

If any fighters show up, they love to play tag- I think "safe" is anywhere over a school.

There's certain areas marked on charts. They're outlined in solid blue lines with blue tickmarks all around the inside edge and labeled "R-" and some numbers. That R means it's a recreational airspace, where you can go do flips and stuff.

When you stall, pull the power out, dip a wing and yaw in that direction to get your nose back down real quick.

According to another student I was talking to, it's a time-honored tradition to do a go around, point the nose at the Tower, and yell "Allah Akbar" repeatedly into the mic. The guy who told me about this was a Middle East student named Rashid-Alahaminik-Qaaihil-Haabi-something-or-other but now that I think about it, he never mentioned at what point to turn away...

Always offer the examiner a drink from your bottle of whatever alcohol you prefer. It is shown to raise chances of passing by 30-40%.

...According to another student I was talking to, it's a time-honored tradition to do a go around, point the nose at the Tower, and yell "Allah Akbar" repeatedly into the mic. The guy who told me about this was a Middle East student named Rashid-Alahaminik-Qaaihil-Haabi-something-or-other but now that I think about it, he never mentioned at what point to turn away...

You dare insult the...

"Religion of PEACE"...

That is verboten here sir...:no:

Tips for your FAA Private Pilot exam

For an extra challenge, pull the funny looking red knob thingy out immediately after takeoff. It is said to be VERY fuel efficient.

Remember to fly straight through thunderstorms. The strong updrafts provide extra lift, saving fuel.

Aother fuel saving tip that will impress the examiner. Fly at about 20 feet to stay in ground effect.

Demonstrate emergency landings in an active artillery zone.

Fly below tree top level down the interstate, to check your air speed against the highway "You Speed" signs.

Deploy the Ballistic Recovery Chute to see if it is working properly...pilots choice, in the air or on the ground.

Rotary wing tickets? Get some altitude, nose it over with a half roll and tell him not to worry, the Red Bull guys do this all the time.

Dip the left wing on approach and give it a little right rudder, let the examiner know this helps you see out of your weak right eye. An old tape deck from the 90's makes for great back ground music. Strap it to your leg and play a little Back Street Boys and some Men at Work. Once in the air, speak only in Pig Latin. It gives the examiner something to think about and not be board, and the tower loves it !! Fly over your favorite fishing spots and point them out. These are usually under a bridge so the inverted flight should impress your guest. Make sure to find a switch, lever,or button that looks new to you and say "oooow what does this do !!" They love that stuff , it shows you want to learn! When landing, grab your chest and say you can't breath--the air's too thick--take it back up ---it's likely the examiner wanted to spend some more time with you anyway.

Back