For the New York folk; ordering bagels

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I thought about getting some bagels while at LDRS, figuring "New York, gotta be bagels everywhere." Didn't. So it goes.

So you NY rocketeers; from where would you order bagels for long-distance delivery to PartsUnknown?

A colleague who went to Boston College told me once "On a good bagel, you should be able to lose a tooth." :) That's what I (and Elder Daughter) are looking for. I don't necessarily want the very best bagels in NY, but I want to order some genuinely good ones.

My son -- who spent about 10 years in Astoria after college in NYC -- has a place that he orders his bagels from. Now that he moved from NYC to the D.C. area, he craves his Sunday morning NYC bagel! I will find out what the place is and let you know.

Break a tooth on ? I like my bagels soft and lightly toasted with cream cheese and sometimes with raspberry preserves.
According to my friend Dean, New York bagels are made with very-high-gluten flour, makes them very chewy. (His opinion was that most store bagels are just round bread with a hole.) They're also boiled in lye. Food grade (USP) lye. Yes, there are food grade poisons. Food grade lye has no heavy metals or other unwanted nasties.

I've tried making bagels with modest success; even bought the correct lye. Would never try it without a stand mixer, that dough is TOUGH to knead. (Warning: never boil lye in an aluminum pot. Pot will bubble and dissolve, leaving lye solution everywhere and a nice byproduct of hydrogen gas.:eek:)

I've posted the recipe for my go-to schmear. Much lower in fat and calories than regular cream cheese. It's getting hard to find fat-free cream cheese around here, though.

I grew up a Jewish neighborhood in the lower East side of NYC and the freshly made bagels were amazing. This was back at a time when bagels weren't well known lol
Unfortunately I moved away decades ago, so I can't recommend any places, but will follow along to find out. Good luck!

Okay, I thought about getting some bagels while at LDRS, figuring "New York, gotta be bagels everywhere." Didn't. So it goes.
So you NY rocketeers; from where would you order bagels for long-distance delivery to PartsUnknown?

Three (3) secret ingredients (IMHO) to awesome bagels:
1). Made fresh that very morning at that very shop. Still warm is ideal. Lunch-time fresh is still great. They go stale by evening.
2). Creative flour and ingredient mixes. And schmears.
3). Owners with Jewish ancestry. No idea why, but it works.

#1 all but kills shipping bagels and receiving quality product by mail.

I have never found awesome bagels beyond 25 mile radius of NYC.
Average - aplenty.
Awesome - not so much.

I guess y'all will just have to visit and see for yourselves!

a

I just ordered a batch with free 2-day shipping. They'll go into the freezer immediately. They might not be top-flight, but compared to the round-bread-with-a-hole from Walmart, the somewhat better Lenders (still not great), and the somewhat better ones from Panera Bread and Drunken Donuts (those are the only local choices), the NY bagels have got to be better, even after shipping.

Bagels were supposed to be here yesterday. Not sure I understand why "weather" would delay shipment, unless it's because of the heat and humidity.

(Here in PartsUnknown, it's already oppressive; mid-nineties today and/or tomorrow. Now Geniece is glad that I bought phase-change cooling vests for both of us. She'll get at least four hours of reasonable comfort tomorrow.)

My wife has ordered them from Zabars before along with a Chocolate Babka. They were good, better than ones from the grocery store. I'm sure they don't compare to ones made fresh that morning.

Some claim the New York City water makes a difference for their pizza dough. I don't know if that's really true, but gluten formation and dough fermentation has a huge effect on how stretchy and chewy pizza dough gets. I'm sure bagels are the same.

Last edited:
This sounds like a story I have from more than a decade ago. I have a friend that moved from NYC to Silicon Valley for a good I.T. gig (he currently works for Apple). When we made plans to visit, he asked us to bring some bagels. We grabbed 2 dozen from a pretty good place on 6th Ave and 8th street, and then hustled to JFK to catch our flight. This was pre-9/11, so, security gave us no issue smuggling 2 dozen bagels in carry-on luggage.

Anyhow, we get to Cali, grab a rental car and hustle to Brad's house and the bagels were still pretty darn fresh. Good times.

I ended up ordering from Just Bagels. Disappointed; two-day shipping took a bit more than three days. And the bagels weren't noticeably superior to Panera Bread. Not just my opinion; Elder Daughter is almost a supertaster, and when I asked her which one was better, she had to take another bite and chew thoughtfully. And then said "about the same." :( The only thing superior about these bagels was the number of flavors. Panera has about a dozen flavors, Just Bagels has about 30.

Once these are gone I may try another vendor.

A colleague who went to Boston College told me once "On a good bagel, you should be able to lose a tooth." :) That's what I (and Elder Daughter) are looking for. I don't necessarily want the very best bagels in NY, but I want to order some genuinely good ones.
Breuggers Bagels

Back