For CTI O3400 Motors, where are the Grain Spacer O-rings Packaged?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am asking for a university team (USYD) I mentor about grain spacer o-rings for the O3400 motor. They have the motor parts currently, except for the fuel grains which are in a secure storage, but they can't seem to find the grain spacer o-rings in their parts.

So, questions:

1) Do the grain spacing o-rings get packaged with each grain?

2) Do the grain spacing o-rings come in the packet that contains the nozzle o-ring(s)?

3) What is the size of the o-rings please, in case they need to buy some if they don't have any.

It has been a couple of years since I have flown an O3400 and I can't remember where the o-rings were in the packaging.

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks Windman! They are looking at the grains in the packets, in the individual grain boxes currently and have been unable to locate the o-rings. I am doing this remotely with them unfortunately so I apologies for asking dumb question. I don't have the parts in front of me.

So, more questions:
Where EXACTLY are the o-rings in with the grains please? Packaged inside the plastic bag with the grain, inside the box that the grain comes in, or otherwise? Do they come in a bag all together or just one with each grain as needed?

Thanks Windman! They are looking at the grains in the packets, in the individual grain boxes currently and have been unable to locate the o-rings. I am doing this remotely with them unfortunately so I apologies for asking dumb question. I don't have the parts in front of me.

So, more questions:
Where EXACTLY are the o-rings in with the grains please? Packaged inside the plastic bag with the grain, inside the box that the grain comes in, or otherwise? Do they come in a bag all together or just one with each grain as needed?
The orings are typically in the bags with the grains,one per bag

Thanks for that. Just got a call from my team who have somebody checking out their motors. The first motor they checked, of course, had zero o-rings with the grains :(. Checking the second motor showed all grains had o-rings attendant to the grains :). So, they have three motors being held in storage currently and are checking the third of as to whether it has o-rings, or not. FYI the first two motors they checked were of different date codes. All are O3400.

Have you had any other reports of motors not having requisite o-rings provided with them?

Thanks again for your help!

I could be wrong, but I believe grain spacer orings are relatively new to the hobby, say last 5 to 10 years? I don't know how old your loads are, check the included directions and see if they are called for.

The o-ring size is not critical. Nor is the material. Measure one and order the closest size from McMaster. (I've been using o-ring grain spacer for 20 years).

Thanks RJ. Great info. The team had purchased three of the O3400 motors and, of course, the one they opened had the missing o-rings. The other two motors had the o-rings in with each grain. Got a good flight in the end.

Size 042, 3-3/8 OD, 1/16 thick. https://www.mcmaster.com/9452K131 $19.78 per pack of 100.
But to reiterate, as long as you get something between the grains to keep the faces from touching each other, the size of the o-ring isn’t critical. The o-rings can even be broken. You could probably get away with using weed eater line.

Latest posts

Back