Football Season - snacks?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
It's football season again [GO SOONERS!].

What are your favorite gameday snacks? Got good recipes to share?

The buffalo chicken dip on the side of Frank's Red Hot Sauce but with shredded cheddar in place of the crumbled blue cheese and ranch dressing in place of the blue cheese dressing.

I don't like blue cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Well, the NIU Huskies just shucked some corn in Nebraska... Might not be too bad a season in DeKalb this year. We'll see. It's still early.

Anything grilled, or smoked. Or smoked, then grilled.

Wings are also a favorite go to for games.

37097115062_2ce0e84180_z.jpg

37269823145_248b6cc4ae_z.jpg

Last edited:
Velveeta + rotel/salsa + meat (of some sort). Like the French have "mother sauces", I think we could call this one of the "mother dips". :eyeroll:

The main question then becomes; "regular" Velveeta or sharp cheddar? "Normal" rotel with jalapenos or "hot" with habaneros?

Well, the NIU Huskies just shucked some corn in Nebraska...

Okie State just whooped up on Pitt - 59-21. Down here we call that "hangin' hafahunderd" on them. Or more...

[edit] And OU just gave a slobberknockin' to Tulane 56-14.

Was served some Banh Mi style Hot dogs today at a party. Don't know what was better, the dogs or Duke beating Baylor. Duke is 3-0, Baylor is 0-3, truly the end times are upon us.

Here are a couple of recipes. My older sister taught me how to make guacamole, my younger sister taught me how to make salsa. My older sister also added a bit of Worcestershire sauce, but It turns the guac brown.

Guacamole

2 pounds black avacados (about 4 or 5)
3 Roma tomatos
one small white onion
juice from 2 limes
2 jalapeno peppers
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
3 Tablespoons salt
pinch cayenne pepper

Avacados should be just ripe - slightly soft to touch. Split and remove pit. With a fork,
score flesh down to skin from top to bottom and side to side. Scoop out flesh with a spoon
into bowl. Remove stem and seeds from tomatos, chop finely, add to bowl. Remove outer
paper from onion. With a box grater, coarsly grate onion into bowl. Remove stems from
jalapenos. Split one and remove seeds and center web and membrane, chop both very finely,
add to bowl. To bowl, add lime juice, salt, and garlic powder. With a fork, stir
ingredients, mashing avacados to mix them in. Let sit for 10 minutes for ingredients to
mix together. Taste. Add more salt to taste. Add cayenne pepper if more heat is desired.
You can freeze this immediately after making by putting it into container, putting a sheet
of plastic wrap over guacamole - pressing it down into surface to seal out air, then
placing lid on container. Store in fridge with plastic wrap on surface to keep air out.
This will help keep it from turning brown.

Fresh Salsa

This recipe uses multiple forms of the same ingredient (3 types of tomatos, 3 types of peppers). This creates complexity and depth of flavor. You can go with a simpler recipe, but it won't taste as good. I use a food processor to chop everything up. You *could* get by with just chopping everything up very finely by hand (but again, it won't be as good - this is a time-proven recipe)

4 or 5 Roma tomatos
4 vine ripe tomatos
12 oz can of diced fire roasted tomatos
2 or 3 medium jalipeno peppers
2 Anaheim peppers
juice of 2 limes
one medium white onion
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
2 Tablespoons cumin
6 Tablespoons salt
pinch cayenne pepper
cilantro (optional)

Open and thoroughly drain can of tomatos. Remove stem, seeds from fresh tomatos, coarsly chop. Coarsly chop onion. Remove stem end from peppers. Remove seeds from Anaheim peppers, coarsly chop. Split one jalapeno pepper and remove seeds and center web and membrane, coarsly chop both. Coarsly chop cilantro if used.

In a food processor, add canned tomatos, peppers, onion, salt, cumin, cilantro, and lime juice. Blend until smooth and mixed. Add fresh tomatos, pulse 3 or 4 times to break up fresh tomatos. Let sit for 10 minutes for ingredients to come together. Taste. Add more salt if needed (mix by hand to blend in salt, do not use food processor any more). Add cayenne pepper to increase heat to taste. Because of acid content, this will keep for quite a while in fridge. Like many foods, the taste will change somewhat from cold to room temperature. Serve at temperature you like best.

This can be mixed with Velveeta for good cheese dip. Can be mixed with avacados for quick guacamole.

Sausage rolls made with Jimmy Dean Hot, pie crust, and brushed with egg on the top. Yeah boyeeeee

Back