Foose Fest IV, October 4th 2009!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
In late August (?) Jerry Little (Bravo52) anounced that he and his family were moving by the end of October, and by that, taking away the honor to share his love for rocketry with us. So we (Craig, Scott, Kevin, Jim, and I) planned to celebrate one last reunion at the beautiful hay fields of the Zicafoose Family in Cecil County, Maryland. And so, we celebrated Foose Fest IV!!! We all met at Craig's house. Jerry showed up with his entire family! Great meeting you all!

As a surprise, Craig and his grandmother presented a personalized "Foose Fest IV"T-shirt to each of us. An embroided logo on the front and a picture from Foose Fest III on the back.

During the planning stages it was decided to do a Mach 10 drag race so we all showed up with our own Mach 10s, which we proudly displayed them on a table in "flight formation".

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

The day was sunny but windy, so we set up shop at one end of the field to increase the chances of recovering our rockets. We also had the help of a motorized rocket recovery team...

I flew 10 models, to include clones of the EAC Viper and Firecat, Estes' Interceptor; clones of Centuri's Nomad, and my unfinished Mach 10; Semroc's Launch Magazine Missile, Gee'Hod, and Night Hawk BG; Sirius Rocketry Mid-power Interrogator (Production #29), and an original design, of which I did not take a picture...

DSC00009.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Some of the cool models were Scott's "Pharaoh's Wild" with a modified nose cone with a video camera, Jerry's his scratch built SR-71, Jims 2-stage Big Bertha. Two radio controled Booster gliders were also flown.

We wanted to fly some radio controled airplanes but it was too windy...

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00042.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Looked like a great day. Is that SR-71 an upscale from the Estes kit? It looks a little bigger and that's just what that kit needs. The main body tube is just to tight for the chute needed to bring that thing back safely.

Videos still need to be processed and uploaded. I'll work on that this weekend.

It was a great time (again) flying with friends, and we had a super post launch meal (again) thanks to Jamie and Leslie- even though the grill caught fire.

kj

KEWL!!! Looks like you guys had a blast!

Looking forward to more pics/vids...

Later! OL JR :)

Thanks for the pics. Looked like a great day. Is that SR-71 an upscale from the Estes kit? It looks a little bigger and that's just what that kit needs. The main body tube is just to tight for the chute needed to bring that thing back safely.

It's made from 3 Estes Patriot kits........I get them all 40% off at Michael's :rolleyes:

It is a direct upscale from the Estes kit to a BT60. I used .10 sheet styrene for the wraps and cut down nose cones for the nacelles. It weighs 10 ozs and flew on both a D12-3 and an E-18.

I couldn't have asked for a better day. Getting to hang out with some really cool guys and have my family meet everyone. The food was awesome and the setting was phenomenal. Oh.....and we flew rockets too..... :D

Can't wait til we get to do it again ! Jerry..... just make it a long weekend and see what you can procure to get to Craigs ! Speaking of Craig, I would suspect at some point we should all be treated to some nice pics he took. Raul you took some nice shots, with the 2 of you shooting, I've given up on taking pictures and just wait to see what you guys have taken.

Thanks again to the Zicafoose Family for being the best hosts and to the crew for being the best bunch of guys to hang out with !

:clap:

I couldn't have asked for a better day. Getting to hang out with some really cool guys and have my family meet everyone. The food was awesome and the setting was phenomenal. Oh.....and we flew rockets too..... :D
And you got a pretty snazzy looking shirt too! :D

Looks like it was a great time! Looking forward to more pictures/videos!

Where to start....

First off, I can't think of anytime during my involvement with rocketry where I enjoy myself more. I worry that each gathering will not live up to the last, and somehow it always does.

Jerry, I'm so glad we all got to meet your family before you leave. They were a joy to have around. The kids played well and Leslie was a big help and a real peach!

Raul always manages to show up with museum quality rockets. The finish is always above and beyond.

Viper.jpg

pssst....get some decals on that viper!;)
Firecat.jpg

Firecat-ignition.jpg

Launch-Missile-Ignition.jpg

Launch-Missile-boost.jpg

Interrogator.jpg

Last edited:
I love this sequence of Jim's 2 stage Bertha with the Semroc A10 booster.
Bertha-with-booster.jpg

Bertha-with-booster1.jpg

Bertha-with-booster-stage.jpg

Bertha-with-booster-stage2.jpg

I ended up retrieving that one out of the corn field the next day. The wind caused a serious windcocking issue and the rocket ended up a couple hundred yard up range. Red chutes and rockets are good folks!
One thing I noticed Jim...that zipper was already there! :)

Last edited:
Kevin's day didn't start out so well. His first flight of the day was a competition RC glider. Something when wrong during the boost and the glider arced over and crashed. Heartbreaking, but he took it in stride.

Kevin spent the much of the remainder of the day manning the video camera and making off with my wife on the 4 wheeler! Said something about looking for a haystack??? :D ;)

Jims-upscale-Mach10.jpg

He did bring along a very clever kitbash which he dubbed the "Bomarc E". It was made from an Estes Renegade. "You, you got what I neeeeed.... but you say he's jus' a friend....."
Ok, enough of that.:cool:

Kevin-bomarc-E.jpg

BomarcE-ignition.jpg

Here's a few more of Jim's stuff...

Stretched BMS Bertha with a cam and a couple foam "bricks" attached.
Stretched-Bertha-with-Glide.jpg

Stretched-Bertha-boost1.jpg

Stretched-Bertha-ejection.jpg

And a very cool TLP Phoenix(the small one)...
TLP-Phoenix.jpg

TLP-Phoenix-ignition.jpg

...and something strangely familiar about this glider, but I can't put my finger on it.
Der-Red-Wulf.jpg

Last edited:
Jerry flew some real showpieces as well, and the upscaled SR71 was awesome to see. He has what I call an "eagle eye" and sharp mind...must be that Air Force training. He can look at anything which is seemingly difficult to reproduce, with or without dimensions handy, and create clones and upscales, and find ways to do it if none already exist.

Jerry-SR71-upscale.jpg

Jerry-SR71-boost.jpg

Jerry-SR71-boost1.jpg

Wolverine.jpg

Nox-Shrox.jpg

Hustler-ignition.jpg

Hustler-boost.jpg

Hustler-boost2.jpg

Jayhawk-ignition.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to get in a couple flights between shots.

My Strike Fighter clone(need to finish putting decals on it)...

Strike-fighter-ignition.jpg

Strike-fighter-boost1.jpg

Blue-Mach10-boost.jpg

The Ruskie(mine) didn't win this drag race. Camels are a lot faster than I thought! :D The Geehod belongs to Raul.
Groonies.jpg

..and my newly finished Semroc Trident xkit.
Trident-ignition.jpg

Trident-coast.jpg

Trident-apogee.jpg

Trident-ejection.jpg

Here's a video of my Orbital Transport and Scott's Rokitcam on top.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/MJ7JqQAR_PQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/MJ7JqQAR_PQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Craig you got some great shots just as you always do. One of these days I'm gonna have to get me an adult camera like you got ! I used to have a SLR back in the age of "film" about 30 years ago :y:

Thanks for taking and posting all those great photos. The Big Bertha and Shuttle sequences are awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very awesome pictures looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Is the Red and White USAF rocket with the HoJo style nose a scratch built? That's a really cool looking rocket.

Yeap, that is my Scratch built EAC Firecat. You can get the parts to build it from Semroc. I got the NC and the fins from them. I re-drew the decals and instead of the #3 I used my lucky 7!!! Scott printed the decals for me. The little antenna is made of styrene. Nice flyer! Would recommend it to anyone. As for an upscale, I have a Maxi HoJo still in the box, and, although I do not think I will build the HoJo, maybe, just maybe, would consider an upscale of the Firecat in the future...

cool thanks. It's got similarities to a scratch I'm designing, might have to fire up the cloning tank on that one!

Foose, you're from Cecilcounymerlinhon???? :clap: I'm originally from Towson - home of Spiro Agnew! :y: That shot off all you guys with your Mach-10's...um...over your...um...is a classic!! Didn't I see all you guys in a room in Jawnstahn?..........wasn't there fermented beverages involved?........sorry, it's all a bit hazy. Looks like you guys had a great time! And to think, it's only about 45 minutes from my house!! ;)

GREAT PICS!!!

Back