Foolproof (or almost foolproof) method of getting parachute to deploy fully and not tangled up?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you consider "Small Diameter" ?
We have some Mach1 BT-50 Fiberglass Rockets with LOC or 12" Nylon parachutes. It fits, and flys well. ( Does take a bit of careful packing to make sure it slides easily, but not too bad.)
In the old days we built a lot of BT-20 rockets, with 12" plastic chutes. They are a little harder to pack but can be done. However this is where I learned that you can't do all the double triple folding wrapping etc. and then expect that tiny little compacted plastic lump to open.

However this is where I learned that you can't do all the double triple folding wrapping etc. and then expect that tiny little compacted plastic lump to open.
This was my downfall and subsequent revelation alike in my early park tests last year.

Despite learning I can pack a tight chute with a decent chance of opening though, I've come to prefer a long streamer on almost every light rocket.

Take from a parachute rigger who also has 45 years of messing with tiny parachutes. Neat packing of the chute and shock cord is the best bet. Unless you are flying low and slow, you should pack the chute neatly and compactly so that it opens slowly. Also try to pack the shock cord neatly, and try to keep snag points to a minimum. If your plastic chute is one of those thick stiff ones like Estes is using now, they don't like being packed tightly so toss it and make one out of thin mil trash bags.

Back