Food safety question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy H.

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For storing woodworking finishes, a product called 'Bloxygen' was created and marketed. It is basically a can of argon.

I've used it for a few other tasks where reducing oxidization is desired and just randomly wondered if it would work for making something like spaghetti sauce last longer?

So, chemists, medical professionals, foodies or anyone else who might know: Would it be safe to put 100% argon in a can of opened spaghetti sauce to increase the refrigerator life? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but there may be a very logical reason it is a bad idea.

Sandy.

It would reduce/stop oxidative degradation reactions and the metabolism of aerobic (oxygen-requiring) bacteria, but anaerobic pathogenic species would be unaffected. Clostridium species come to mind (food poisoning--botulism, gangrene, tetantus), but there are many more. Plus, like Worsaer suggests above, nitrogen would be a whole lot cheaper than argon. Personally, jars of spaghetti sauce don't last long enough in my house to need long-term storage... Can freeze it, too.

As stated prior, this will only help prevent the spread of aerobic organisms, it will do nothing if not help spread anaerobic organisms.

I work in food safety. Anaerobic organisms are the nasty ones.

If you want to kill food borne pathogens, you hard freeze (after heating), pasteurize(heat), highly acidic environment, highly alkaline environment, irradiate. Those are the only ways.

It will also not help protect food from natural decay. If there are no preservatives, then natural decay will take affect. Hard freezing is the most effective and available method to the home owner for long term storage.

Last edited:
I'll echo what everyone else has said regarding effects on aerobic vs anaerobic microorganisms. Now, the food manufacture I work at occasionally uses nitrogen in the lunch meat packages to slow oxidation. They do however use something called octa-gone (if I recall correctly) to inhibit other microorganisms, such as listeria. I know carbon monoxide is used to keep prepack ground beef looking fresh on account of the CO molecule binding with the myoglobin.

making something like spaghetti sauce last longer?

Which brought to mind something recently heard about that sauce's lifetime which then led to looking up a reference just now.
"
Remember, once spaghetti sauce is opened - whether it came from a jar, a can, a package, or homemade spaghetti sauce it should be kept stored in the refrigerator and used within within 5-10 Days depending on the brand of sauce. Most pasta sauces do NOT have any preservatives. Therefore, be sure to cook your sauce if it has been opened and stored in the fridge for longer than 4-5 days - but toss the sauce for sure if it has been more than 9-10 days or if you see any signs of mold formation.

Many have asked about opened jars of spaghetti sauce. So, we added this table with information directly from the manufacturers of pasta sauce. These are their recommendations for their products. They do also say that jars can last longer or shorter depending on the temperature of the refrigerator, the length of time outside of the refrigerator, the exposure to bacteria and any cross contamination that may have occurred - just like with any other food product.

Table of Manufacturer Recommended Shelf Life of Opened Pasta Sauce:
..."
https://www.eatbydate.com/vegetables/fresh-vegetables/spaghetti-sauce-shelf-life-expiration-date/
"
How to store Spaghetti Sauce to extend its shelf life?
You can help spaghetti sauce stay fresh longer by storing it in the refrigerator in a sealed container to prevent spoilage and keep out contaminants.

For a long term option, spaghetti sauce can be placed in a freezer safe container in the freezer.
"

..... Bloatassium.

I think Kim Kardashian has a patent on that term...:rabbitdontknow:

.. Would it be safe to put 100% argon in a can of opened spaghetti sauce to increase the refrigerator life? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but there may be a very logical reason it is a bad idea.

Sandy.

After reading through the various replies in this thread... why not repackage the sauce into whatever serving size you normally use and then put those in the freezer? Then when you need it, thaw it in the microwave.

We're not spaghetti sauce eaters, but it seems like that would work.

My solution is to put the leftovers in a zip lock bag. Squeeze as much air out as possible to avoid freezer burn. Stuff frozen in bags seems to fit into the freezer better than containers do. They can fit into odd spaces between the other stuff.

My solution is to put the leftovers in a zip lock bag. Squeeze as much air out as possible to avoid freezer burn. Stuff frozen in bags seems to fit into the freezer better than containers do. They can fit into odd spaces between the other stuff.
if flat, they thaw faster too.. we do that with hamburger meat..

Latest posts

Back