foam NC questions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketkid88

Reaction score
OK guys, i turned my first two foam NCs a while ago out of that blue insulating foam. One 2" X 6" one and one 18mm X 1.5" one. They both got all right considering they were my first attempts...
after turning them i coated all the exterior (not the shoulder) parts with Elmers wood filler, to create a smooth surface to paint. Today when i painted them the foam started to melt in some places:( I guess that the paint seeped thru the filler.
what are your opinions on this, and what should i do?

I've heard the pink foam is more reliable. Second, you should test your paints on a piece of the scrap before using them on your actual nose cones... might save some of the pain of having to re-turn them! Of course, for someone like sandman, turning new nose cones is more fun than actually using them, or so it sometimes seems...

WW

Rocket...you may wish to coat the nosecones with a thin layer or two of epoxy...that way they would not be effected by paints.

Carl

the pink stuff is more 'resistant' to paint, your saying?? I had tested the paints on a different type of foam b4, and it had melted, but i was hoping that with the putty on there wouldn't be a problem.

BTW: i enjoyed turning my NCs, but since teh only drill we have that works is cordless it can really kill a battery!!!
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by CTulanko
Rocket...you may wish to coat the nosecones with a thin layer or two of epoxy...that way they would not be effected by paints.

Carl
but the epoxy wouldn't fill the porous foam as well... i guess if i put some filler down and than epoxy on that it would work tho...

Filler by itself will not protect the foam. Fill first and then, like Carl said, give it a coat or two of epoxy. This worked well on my Upscale Cluster Bomb project.

Rocketkid...one more thing...

You can go to the hobby shop and buy Water based acrylic paints to spray directly on foam. I use them on my foam R/C electric planes and jets and it works great.

Carl

OK.. looks like every1 is saying about the same thing, so thats what i'll do:D thanx!!:cool:

Back