Flying Tomorrow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE; .... I'm flying tomorrow so the title to the thread is still accurate. Ha.!!

Needless to say when my plans to fly yesterday fell through the cracks I was discouraged. Negative thoughts all day and night. I woke this morning feeling the same way. So, I got on giggle (google maps) this morning fully knowing there are a lot of open spaces around this place that I've called home for all of 6 months. I decided to load up my rockets and mantis launch pad and take a ride 'up north' to photograph the rockets in a really nice setting. Let me just say this ride took me into the High Plains of South Dakota where Agriculture is at work.!! Miles and miles of open fields like I've never seen before. Then I noticed that some of the fields were tilled to dirt.!! No brown grass anywhere in 1200+ foot fields. I knocked on a door and nice woman answered and directed me to the 'grounds keeper.' Bingo. I got permission to fly in a 1200ft. field that is tilled flat with nothing but soil. What a turn of events. From down in the dumps to utter joy with one word. Yes. Yes you can fly in the fields. Choose the one you need.!! Wow.

The winds are going to be 10mph all day from the southwest. Temps are headed to 55 degrees over the course of the day. Blue skies. I'm taking everything I've got. Here's a few of the pictures I got along the way. Game on. For sure this time. Yes.

Attachments

• IMG_5994 (3).JPG
    IMG_5994 (3).JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5987 (3).JPG
    IMG_5987 (3).JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5985 (2).JPG
    IMG_5985 (2).JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5996.JPG
    IMG_5996.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5992 (2).JPG
    IMG_5992 (2).JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5984.JPG
    IMG_5984.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 17
My first winter here so I don't know for certain. That said, it happens in Maine occasionally so I don't see it as weird. I see it as a blessing no matter where it happens.!! Just to be clear, the pictures don't depict the field I'm flying in. I'll post pictures of that tomorrow as well as report how many rockets I lost. Ha.!! It ain't funny. Do people lose rockets at 1800ft.?? or will they be in sight at that altitude.??

Here's the report...... I got to the field early this morning about a half hour after sunrise. Drove out to the center of the field and the view was fantastic. 1200ft in every direction, the sky was blue put overall, partly cloudy. I got set up and had a list of what I would fly and I chose the Sky Torpedo for the flight on an E3-4T. It was a gorgeous first flight. Way up there, straight and I could see the apogee and the colors of the rocket. The 32" chute deployed nicely and it was a soft landing about 150 yards away. The walk was slightly tough but I liked the exercise. The tube showed a minor zipper about a half inch long. No biggie.

Next up was the T-LOC on a G74-6W. I made a mistake and it cost me. After the walk I took a short break, wrote down a couple notes on the first flight and put the T-LOC on the pad. It was maybe 20 minutes in between flights. For the 2nd flight I never looked up. In that short time I had a milky sky. If I HAD looked up I would have flown anyways, no doubt. I touched off the G74 and the sound was Incredible.!!!! It startled me a little bit and I jerked my head upwards and the White Lightening was showing a great stream of white smoke. Really cool. BUT, I watched the rocket enter a milky sky cover. I never saw it again. When it disappeared I wasn't shook up at all. The size of the field had me covered. Remember, 1200+ feet in all directions. It was surely going to land in the field as the numbers on Apogee said a flight of 1055ft. on the G74. I lost the rocket after searching for an hour. AND I was using an 18" chute with a spill hole. Surely it would land in the field.!!! Nope. I drove the perimeter of the field. With binoculars(i'm a bird watcher so i'm good with binoculars) Nope. Nothing in the field. NOTHING.!! I lost the rocket. I'm okay with it now but it was a long ride home. The sky had turned milky and I didn't look up before the flight. Lesson learned.

I uploaded a few pictures of the field and it tells the story perfectly. 2 pictures taken of the same direction. The early picture shows blue sky. An hour later, a milky sky. Here's the 2 pictures....... But tell me why that rocket didn't come down in the field with an 18" spill hole nylon chute.?? That bugs me to no end.!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5999.JPG
    IMG_5999.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6004.JPG
    IMG_6004.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 19
Condolences on the T-LOC. It is amazing how a rocket can disappear into the sky like that. That's extra challenge if you're flying alone; having extra eyes greatly improves your chances of tracking the rocket (but still no guarantee!)

Condolences on the T-LOC. It is amazing how a rocket can disappear into the sky like that. That's extra challenge if you're flying alone; having extra eyes greatly improves your chances of tracking the rocket (but still no guarantee!)
Thanks Neil. THAT is the one thing that is disturbing me. Why didn't that rocket come down in the field.?? Its like it never made the turn. Kept right on going to the moon. I was looking for it all the way home. 37 miles and I still haven't found it. And what a contrast to the first flight which was stunningly beautiful.

You might ask what my purchase will be.??...... A 24 to 29mm adapter. I have another G74-6, 2 G77-7's and a G80-7 and I ain't flying them anytime soon. I want more of those E30's. Seem to be a great altitude for the Sky Torpedo. But what I need most is a wall to wall blue sky. A milky sky is for the birds.... I'm learning as I go.

Thanks for your kind words Neil.

I can say that gravity works in that part of the world with a high degree of confidence. Your T-LOC landed in the field somewhere downwind from your launch location.
Let the landowner know about the lost rocket. Looks like somebody works that field. They may run across it before they literally run across it.

Last edited:
THAT is the one thing that is disturbing me. Why didn't that rocket come down in the field.?? Its like it never made the turn. Kept right on going to the moon.
I think many of us have witnessed something like that... you were at a significant disadvantage being the only one trying to track the rocket.

(Brian if you're out there I apologize for telling this story again)

Couple of years ago I was at a launch where one flyer put up an absolutely immaculate MPR Bolt. That's a good-sized rocket. Up it went... absolutely straight, through the low wispy clouds... and then... nothing. At least twenty or thirty people staring up and *no one* saw it come down. It had a tracker in it... which failed. As far as I know, the rocket was never recovered, and no one ever had any idea where it went. In addition to being a multi-hundred dollar rocket, it also had hundreds of dollars of electronics in it. Plus the time and effort.

Vanished, despite a crowd of people tracking it. Perhaps it made it to orbit.

Sometimes the rocketry gods will have their offering.

I can say that gravity works in that part of the world with a high degree of confidence. Your T-LOC landed in the field somewhere downwind from your launch location.
Ya. I think you're right Samb. When I retrieved the first rocket it wasn't sticking out like a sore thumb and I thought it would be. Here's another picture of the field..... I'm going to go back in the next few days and have another look. Here's the thing.... It's a small rocket with a dark green 18" chute. It's not going to pop into my binoculars like, oh, there it is. Its part of the woodwork in a thousand acre field. I'll walk the half of the field where it must be.

Here's a picture of the rocket. 24.5" Tall. 2.6 tube. In a LARGE field. I'm going to find it.!! Thanks Samb. Great post. I'm with ya on this one. Will I find it.?? Maybe. Hee.... The picture of the rocket is no where near the field I flew in.

And to repeat myself..... 11.5oz rocket with a ton of drag. 3 fins with additions. Apogee.com says the G74-6W flies at 1055ft. Gotta be in the field.

Attachments

• IMG_6001.JPG
    IMG_6001.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6003.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6000.JPG
    IMG_6000.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5987 (3).JPG
    IMG_5987 (3).JPG
    230.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
That's hard, and unfortunately happens more often than we'd like. My suggestions for rocket hunting:
If you have eyes on it on descent, pick a landmark on the horizon and walk that direction. Walk as far as you thought it was when it landed. Then walk 20% further. The rocket will be right there.

If you don't have eyes on it, use other flights as a reference. Your first flight landed 150 yards from the flight line, so go out that direction. Again, walk out and keep going. If there are high spots, get up on one and scan in all directions, including back toward the launch pad. It's funny how often you walk right by a rocket and don't see it until you turn around.

If the farmer will let you climb up on the sprinkler system hub, you might have an easier time seeing the rocket. Just a little altitude helps a lot.

That's hard, and unfortunately happens more often than we'd like. My suggestions for rocket hunting:
If you have eyes on it on descent, pick a landmark on the horizon and walk that direction. Walk as far as you thought it was when it landed. Then walk 20% further. The rocket will be right there.

If you don't have eyes on it, use other flights as a reference. Your first flight landed 150 yards from the flight line, so go out that direction. Again, walk out and keep going. If there are high spots, get up on one and scan in all directions, including back toward the launch pad. It's funny how often you walk right by a rocket and don't see it until you turn around.

If the farmer will let you climb up on the sprinkler system hub, you might have an easier time seeing the rocket. Just a little altitude helps a lot.
Thank you for that boatgeek. Good tips. The field is flat as a pancake. I figure the rocket is most likely in the southern quarter of the field. I like the idea of jumping up on the irrigation system. Not sure there is a way but I'll talk to the grounds keeper about it. I still have permission to fly there but I don't want to report another lost rocket. I'm learning and I don't give up easy on this stuff. Thanks for your help.

I flew 5 different rockets today. It was awesome. The 20oz. LOC Patriot was squirrelly off the rod but managed to go up on a somewhat shallow trajectory. With nose weight on an F20. The Estes wadding was crap. I singed 2 nylon chutes and wrecked a 32'' plastic chute. All 5 flights had soft landings with no damage other than the chutes. I flew the Estes Ventris on an F20-4W. I think that was the straightest flight I've ever seen. Just like drawing a line on paper. And it was up there on an F motor. I flew all smallish motors but each flight was way up there. Gorgeous blue skies and short walks. The Estes Doorknob was a super flight on just an E30-7T. Straight and high. I'm beginning to see why so many people crave Estes kits. I had no zippering on the short delay motors that I flew. I love the 24/29 motor adapters. All the ejections were quite a show. What a violent stage of the flight on composite motors. I thought they all failed but no. Soft landings. But, I learned a lot too. Frankly, at this stage of progression, I like Estes nylon stretchy cords. I know many don't but I'm just making the jump to mid power and that ejection charge is huge. The one thing I'm going to do is add pobbly another 10 feet to all the shock cords. I cringe when I see the power of the ejection. Incredible.

I'm still in the game. Big smiles today. I could track each flight very nicely. Very little wind. I don't need a rocket finder. I need to be patient for the right days to fly. I had a blast. Wow. Mid power is..... Cool. Check out the moon shot. And this.... I put up 32 Whitetails on my way into the field.

Attachments

• IMG_6034.JPG
    IMG_6034.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6038 (2).JPG
    IMG_6038 (2).JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6040 (2).JPG
    IMG_6040 (2).JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6037 (3).JPG
    IMG_6037 (3).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 20
Another thing you can do is get the Windy app for your phone. It can tell you winds at ground level, 100m, 600m and so on. I would imagine the winds at 1000ft were a lot stronger than ground winds. It probably carried your rocket a lot farther than you think. When I've done MPR flights that over 1000ft, I check the Windy app to make sure I have a good idea on how far it could potentially drift, even with a chute release.

Another thing you can do is get the Windy app for your phone. It can tell you winds at ground level, 100m, 600m and so on. I would imagine the winds at 1000ft were a lot stronger than ground winds. It probably carried your rocket a lot farther than you think. When I've done MPR flights that over 1000ft, I check the Windy app to make sure I have a good idea on how far it could potentially drift, even with a chute release.
I appreciate that reply but honestly I go by day of flight weather. If its blue sky with little wind it's game on. Isn't that what we all do.?? I pick my flying days in real time. I do watch a couple different forecasts but for me, I decide by ground conditions. This too..... I love the walk. Its a good 'winter' work out. Yesterday my longest walk was about 150 yards.

I flew 5 different rockets today. It was awesome. The 20oz. LOC Patriot was squirrelly off the rod but managed to go up on a somewhat shallow trajectory. With nose weight on an F20. The Estes wadding was crap. I singed 2 nylon chutes and wrecked a 32'' plastic chute. All 5 flights had soft landings with no damage other than the chutes. I flew the Estes Ventris on an F20-4W. I think that was the straightest flight I've ever seen. Just like drawing a line on paper. And it was up there on an F motor. I flew all smallish motors but each flight was way up there. Gorgeous blue skies and short walks. The Estes Doorknob was a super flight on just an E30-7T. Straight and high. I'm beginning to see why so many people crave Estes kits. I had no zippering on the short delay motors that I flew. I love the 24/29 motor adapters. All the ejections were quite a show. What a violent stage of the flight on composite motors. I thought they all failed but no. Soft landings. But, I learned a lot too. Frankly, at this stage of progression, I like Estes nylon stretchy cords. I know many don't but I'm just making the jump to mid power and that ejection charge is huge. The one thing I'm going to do is add pobbly another 10 feet to all the shock cords. I cringe when I see the power of the ejection. Incredible.

I'm still in the game. Big smiles today. I could track each flight very nicely. Very little wind. I don't need a rocket finder. I need to be patient for the right days to fly. I had a blast. Wow. Mid power is..... Cool. Check out the moon shot. And this.... I put up 32 Whitetails on my way into the field.
Great you had a fantastic day. Looks like you need to use more wadding or a combo of wadding and cellulose insulation (dog barf). Wide tubes need a lot more wadding to ensure hot gases/ propellant do not push past the wadding and scorcth the chute. I yet to make the plunge to mid power. Yes, the sound is intoxicating.

Great you had a fantastic day. Looks like you need to use more wadding or a combo of wadding and cellulose insulation (dog barf). Wide tubes need a lot more wadding to ensure hot gases/ propellant do not push past the wadding and scorcth the chute. I yet to make the plunge to mid power. Yes, the sound is intoxicating.
Thanks for the reminder. I need to try the dog barf. And I think you're right. I need to use more wadding. I've got a couple of heat blankets that came with kits but they are small. I need a couple 9x9's. The 6x6's are just too small. I'm still learning. I'll get there. Thanks for the post.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to try the dog barf. And I think you're right. I need to use more wadding. I've got a couple of heat blankets that came with kits but they are small. I need a couple 9x9's. The 6x6's are just too small. I'm still learning. I'll get there. Thanks for the post.
someone recently recommended put in wadding first 2 or 3 pieces and then Dog Bawf. I been doing the opposite. You think the nomex blankets would be sized correctly by the kit manufacturer

someone recently recommended put in wadding first 2 or 3 pieces and then Dog Bawf. I been doing the opposite. You think the nomex blankets would be sized correctly by the kit manufacturer

Interesting..... Dog Barf vs. Wadding. I see it both ways. What I've read is that the wadding should be in contact with 'all sides of the tubs.' That's what I've done but it seems I need to do more.

Another great day of flying model rockets.!! The Doorknob went up on an F20-4, The LOC Patriot went up on a G74-6 and the Estes Ventris went up on a G80-7. The smaller Sky Torpedo went up on an E30-7 and the same in the Dyna Star Rising Star. No singed chutes this time. Used more wadding. The Doorknob chute had one line detachment at the sewing line. Coming down that hitch in the chute would take on air and then it would collapse again. It was a little hot coming in and I broke a fin out of the tube. Pretty sure I can repair it. The 3 large 29mm motors were showing a great flame off the launch pad.!!! I'd never seen that before. The G80 pushed the Ventris waay up there. Seeing that was an incredible flight. I'm guessing around the 1400ft. mark it began to lay over into a loooong trajectory. I had at least 1300ft. in all directions and it landed 1300ft. away from the pad. So glad I had invited a large family along for the morning flights. 3 adults and 6 kids.!!! They did a great job of helping to track the flights. And I gave each kid a built Estes rocket to take home. And quarters for chasing my rockets. We had a blast. Blue sky and little to no wind. 6 flights. Too much fun. All legal. ....... Anyone else flying recently.??

Attachments

• IMG_6066.JPG
    IMG_6066.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back