Flying Silo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigBaddy

It's OK to not know something
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Time to start a build thread :)

A couple months back, the thought hit me, to build a flying silo. There are likely many reasons why this thought would enter my mind. The most prominent reasons to get me started on it are:

1. I grew up on a dairy farm. Had silos.
2. It'd be ridiculous; like my flying carrot. So, why not?

I'm scaling it off our high moisture corn silo; which can be viewed in this nice aerial pic from 1973 when my dad was 15 years old. It's the left/standalone silo. 60' tall and 14' diameter. That means a BT80 tube just over 11" long should be fine.

1000x.jpg

A sim in OR makes sense, right? Not exactly perfect, but the software says I can get something stable-ish that resembles a silo and maybe 500' on a D12-5. Not bad. That's one more step toward reality.

silo_sim.png

One thing I had to do before I really got rolling on if I should do this was to find a nosecone. I was searching the interwebs, but then happened to look at our Bullet Bobby kit. Well, if that isn't the closest nosecone shape there could be, I don't know what is. A quick email to our friends at @Launch Lab Rocketry and I was able to procure an imperfect BB nosecone; imperfect for their kit. Perfect for a silo!

IMG_20211206_160437115.jpg

Right now I'm mainly amassing parts and cutting a few things.

This pic is most of the goodies. BT80 tube, assembled motor mount (24mm), a BT5 tube for the discharge chute of the silo and a piece of old kid's arrow (fiberglass) for the filler chute; which also conveniently will function as a launch lug. I found some thin styrene rod at the hobby shop to play the part of the metal bands that go around the silo to hold the staves (bricks) in place.

IMG_20211216_164620277.jpg

One important part was that discharge chute isn't just round in real life, it squares off to cover the unloader doors. So, I cut some 1/64" ply scrap that will go alongside the BT5 tube square to the body tube.

IMG_20211216_120645537_HDR.jpg

I cut the fins out of clear acrylic sheet. I realized after I bought them that I probably should have gotten polycarbonate, but these don't seem very brittle and can flex a lot, so I think I'll just use what I have.

IMG_20220105_191451636.jpg

I've got stuff for the brick pattern on the way to make that possible, so will post that once it arrives and then have a good bit of figuring out how to piece this all together. But, this is where I'm at with it. More to come!

I cut the fins out of clear acrylic sheet. I realized after I bought them that I probably should have gotten polycarbonate, but these don't seem very brittle and can flex a lot, so I think I'll just use what I have.
My one experience with polycarbonate was mixed. It may be (almost) unbreakable but it is incredibly easy to scratch. I'll probably try acrylic next time.

Have you seen the one David Schwantz built? Different style silo (more of the feed bin or seed bin style).

Elon Musk built a flying silo. I think it needs to be converted, for silage. Big flying rubber nipple baby bottle. Local candle maker turned his old farm silo into a glittering candle. So many ideas.

Well, I ordered the wrong brick pattern sheet, but I think I came up with a good alternative that will be more work. Oh well.

But, the HO scale ladder seems about perfect scale for the ladder on this.

Tacked a couple pieces of balsa to the nosecone for the filler chute.

A package of "Astronauts" also arrived 😆

IMG_20220112_175424075_HDR.jpg

Well, I ordered the wrong brick pattern sheet, but I think I came up with a good alternative that will be more work. Oh well.

But, the HO scale ladder seems about perfect scale for the ladder on this.

Tacked a couple pieces of balsa to the nosecone for the filler chute.

A package of "Astronauts" also arrived 😆

View attachment 499493
Gotta have a parachuting pig....

A silo as a rocket? Yeah right, when pigs fly.

After way too long, some build updates. Thanks to Sandy H I got some much needed styrene sheets, strips, etc that will help get this moving again.

Filler chute/launch lug is CA'd to a strip of scrap balsa for a bit of standoff and they aren't up against the silo in real life.

IMG_20220121_102348199.jpg

Cut out some .01 sheet for BT wraps and cut fin slots in them. These will be used for the brick pattern, eventually. Two halves, essentially. They'll span from the launch lug to the unloading chute on each side. I'll need to cut some small pieces to fill underneath hose chute since they don't go all the way to the bottom, and that'll be easier once these are attached to the BT.

IMG_20220121_122923539.jpg

A little more progress. Tedious bit of work, but it results in better scale detail.

Cut the stave (brick) pattern in to the styrene wrap. In real life, they're typically 10x30" so on a BT80 tube, we get 3/16" x 9/16".

You're probably wondering why I cut the lines in after it was wrapped. Early experiments showed if I score the sheet before wrapping, it just wanted to snap in random places as I try to make it take shape around the tube. Cutting after it was wrapped wasn't too difficult, maybe not as perfect, but looks ok. This also relieves some spring tension of the sheet so hopefully the spray adhesive holds longer, but this will get bands around it just like a real silo to hold the staves in place.

IMG_20220127_195914727_HDR.jpg

More progress today!

Got some bands on the filler chute/tube for a bit more realism.

IMG_20220128_120801076_HDR.jpg

Also managed to get five bands around the silo, and only glued my fingers together by a factor of 2 compared to bands completed. I will be cutting the bands out of the gaps, way easier to just do a full wrap now. The bands are .02" styrene rod.

IMG_20220128_193832681.jpg

And a little recovery gear testing for the crew.

IMG_20220128_120751308_HDR.jpg

Back