Flying Moderators

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
So other than Eugene, Bowhunter, and of course Carl "I can Supersize That" Tulanko we don't see no moderator rockets. C'mon the rest of you I wanna see some pix!

And Kermie - your Snitch does not count.

My snitch? You aren't referring to my Sentinel, are ya?

Well, since I built my LOC EZI-65, named Vortex, I haven't built anything. I did post pictures of it's construction. I've been concentrating on building EX motors recently. I'm hoping to fly a new green propellant formula this weekend.

I've posted pics in the past - AMRAAM 3, AMRAAM 4, a scratch-built 4" that I named "Antares." Rocket gliders. The Antares was designed as a test vehicle, specifically for hybrid motors since a lot of them tend to be longer than equivalent RMS motors. Although, to date I have flown more RMS motors in it than hybrid due to the fact that Mark and I have experienced a lot of problems with our clubs HyperTek GSE. At any given launch, after we work with the GSE for an hour or two and can't get it to work, I tend to get frustrated and slap a solid fuel RMS in it and send it up. If I go to the trouble of prepping a dual deployment bird, I *WILL* fly it one way or another.

I also get involved with Mark in the EX world. Mark didn't mention a tenth of what he is working on in that world. He is working on building a strand burner, and is taking machinist classes so that he can make his own hardware. I think he's even taking CNC classes this year. I have done a fair amount of work with igniters. Still have a lot of experiments that I want to do in that area.

My real love for the moment is RCRG (Radio Controlled Rocket Gliders). I have also been flying RC planes for about 20 years, so I have a lot of those toys, too. My current flyable fleet of RCRG is two MultiPlex Combat Jets, a Hobby Labs SR-71, and an Aerotech Phoenix. I have a Wattage Mirage that I converted from an electric flyer to RCRG, then had a crash due to a D-11P cato, and it is now awaiting repairs.

I have many other RCRG kits/conversions waiting in the wings: Estes AstroBlaster, Estes Sweet Vee, Estes StratoBlaster, Estes Centurian (ARF version of the StratoBlaster), a prototype kit from Orbital Engineering (VMX-15RC), a Wattage F-22 that I am converting from electric to rocket boosted, and several other electric foamies that I will eventually convert from electric to rocket boosted.

Lots of other projects also waiting in the wings: For example, I have a full GPSFlight system, but I just haven't had time to fit it to the Antares and try it out.

Eventually, I'll build an L3 bird and finish up my certifications. I have several designs I've been playing with for an L3, I just can't seem to settle on one and get started. Once I got my L2 and started working EX with Mark, I just had too many exciting avenues to try.

They are many demands on my time right now: son going off to live in college dorm, daughter just got her drivers license, helping my wife deal with a foot surgery, my job has been requiring anywhere from 60-75 hours a week for the past 3 months (with no sign of a let up), and last but not least.... I'm working on something for TRF that is VERY IMPORTANT to me. (More on that coming in the future) You people see a lot of the TRF work of some of the mods and admins out in the threads. None of you see all the work that some of us do behind the scenes. I do a lot behind the scenes. (So does Milo) I've also recruited Carl for my pet TRF project. Somebody has to do the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Now, if I can just figure out how to squeeze about 48 hours in a day.... I could get some of the rocketry projects done that I would like to get done.

The TRF crew also had a BIG project that we started working on back in the spring of this year with the intent of flying it at LDRS. For many reasons, that just didn't work out time-wise. At this point, Mark and I have LARGE rocket parts all over his garage and my garage. Maybe we'll get lucky and find some way to finish it up so we can fly it at the 3rd annual TRF get together at Whitakers in April 2005.

Sooooo many projects, so little time.

Aren't you sorry you asked?

To be honest, no. You guys do a rel nice job of running this environment, however you are a bit of a mystery. I was, in a kinda fun way, trying to understand the people who set the ground rules for our community. Since I have been here there are a few of the mods who never seem to post about rocketry.

I was curious what goes throught their heads about the hobby.

It may be none of my business, however you can't find out if you don't ask.

A

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
To be honest, no. You guys do a rel nice job of running this environment, however you are a bit of a mystery. I was, in a kinda fun way, trying to understand the people who set the ground rules for our community. Since I have been here there are a few of the mods who never seem to post about rocketry.

A

For me, it's all about time - the fact that there never seems to be enough of it. I have RC plane kits, rocket kits, and parts all over the house, the garage, and an outside storage building. But there is never enough TIME. By the time I take care of work, family, and TRF duties, it leaves little time for building and launching. There is also the fact that the nearest HPR launch site is 3 hours away. I used to post more, but now that we have a fairly large TRF membership, most of my "TRF time" is taken up with admin duties. That's fine, I'm really glad that we can have a TRF. I would really like to see model rocketry, IN ALL OF ITS FORMS AND POWER CLASSIFICATIONS, expand into a larger group. It's a terrific hobby that can provide so much to its participants. Helping to keep TRF going is my way of trying to help make expansion of the hobby happen.

I can't tell you how gratifying it is to me to read the posts and see the pics of all the incredible things that people are doing in this hobby. To a kid that saved his grass cutting money in the early 60's to buy Estes and Centuri kits, the technology that is available today is wonderland.

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket

A

No harm in asking at all! I'm still a very active rocketeer and I have many documented rocket builds deep in this forum - just do a search for "eugenefl". (I know many of the other moderators do!) I think I have one active build (4" dia. Estes Gyroc) that I haven't progressed much on, but otherwise have plenty of documented rocket builds.

Lately for me it hasn't been about building, but more about participating. As is I have an acceptable active fleet that allows me to participate with local and other club launches. Not only that, but as Jason T. (jetra2) can attest, I have NO more space to squeeze a rocket into this apartment! In the past 2-3 years I've learned that rocketry (for me) is more about the people than the paper, wood, and glue involved. Sure, the hobby is great and I could certainly go out and fly some rockets alone, but beyond a few launches I can say that rocketry wouldn't be "great" for me.

The thing about it, is that rocketry as a hobby, is another tie that binds. People come together for common reasons whether it be for food (a big one there), a special cause/event, or for something entertaining - hey, like rocketry! For the most part, isn't the reason we left rocketry as kids because our friends left it too? Very few kids continued rocketry alone.

Whatever *your* reason might be for participating in this hobby, I can assure you that my place as a rocketeer is to network out to as many people as I can and help contribute back to society as much as I can. As is, people that I may have never approached on the street (like Carl - <a href="https://www.fliskits.com/photo_album/whitakers_2004/images/P6161323.JPG">that dude is scary</a> - :D ), I can actually interact with because of something as simple as paper, wood, and glue. Hey, if in the long of it I make a few buddies, or peak someone else's interest, or maybe be an influential factor in someone else's life, then I see that as a bonus!

...and that's why I think I'll be an *alright* moderator. ;)

Back