Flying an Instrumented Aerotech 2.6 Arcas on a H135W-10 for a attempted L-1. Thoughts?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Zachman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Decided to try an L1 attempt with a flight proven Aerotech 2.6 HV Arcas on an AT H135W-12A in the cold fields at Federal Road this Saturday (11-10-2018). The long range weather listed winds at 4-6 MPH and temps at 44 degrees. Rocksim and Open Rocket project altitudes of between 2400 and 2800 feet AGL. Expecting the Jolly Logic chute release set at 400 feet AGL will minimize the drift (and hiking distance).

I know this kit is somewhat of a marginal L1 class vehicle but perhaps the third time will be a charm. (Flew well on an F67 and a G125). Hopefully I am not sending this build to rocket model heaven! My muck boots are ready and if all goes well the radio tracker will not be used. Also flying with a Altimeter two and Altimeter three and a U838 camera (which has been squirrelly at best.) and a Dino Chutes 36" X-Form parachute.

Not original so let me know your experience and results. Build to spec except fin cans were eliminated.

Some other specs would help, build weight, surface finish, altitude of previous flights and how they went, decent rates, etc.

Look up thrust curve on your phone, set up the rocket in there and see projected altitude, velocity, delay time etc.

I was going to do the H135 dms for my L1 but used the H115dm dms.

Make sure your recovery harness, packing, motor retainer are up to the task. Make sure you know all the information on your rocket and fill out the paper work, CP, CG, margin of stability all the good stuff.

Have friends help with pics and video, make a check list be proficient at assembly of the rocket and prep for flight. Make sure you have the air frame vented to prevent separation after motor burnout, if using a chute release minimize your air frame pressurizing and vacuum (installing/removing nose/motor etc) and make sure there is enough tension on the rubber band to pull the pin upon release. Good luck with the flight.

~John

Some other specs would help, build weight, surface finish, altitude of previous flights and how they went, decent rates, etc.

Look up thrust curve on your phone, set up the rocket in there and see projected altitude, velocity, delay time etc.

I was going to do the H135 dms for my L1 but used the H115dm dms.

Make sure your recovery harness, packing, motor retainer are up to the task. Make sure you know all the information on your rocket and fill out the paper work, CP, CG, margin of stability all the good stuff.

Have friends help with pics and video, make a check list be proficient at assembly of the rocket and prep for flight. Make sure you have the air frame vented to prevent separation after motor burnout, if using a chute release minimize your air frame pressurizing and vacuum (installing/removing nose/motor etc) and make sure there is enough tension on the rubber band to pull the pin upon release. Good luck with the flight.

~John

Thanks for the tips! A personalized checklist is a good idea for future flights and different builds. Have kept fairly good notes on thrust curves, RockSim and Open Rocket simulations, and prior Jolly Logic altimeter data. Vent wholes were drilled in the orginal build so no problem there. Again appreciate your feedback and time.

I did my L1 on an Aerotech HV Arcas with an H115 and a chute release. Mostly stock build but upgraded to Kevlar shock cord. Successful flight, attached AltimeterThree reading.

IMG_2571.jpg

If it didn't shred on a G125, it won't on an H135, so that's all good. As long as stability is fine, you shouldn't have issues. I might set the JLCR a little higher unless you already have experience with how long it takes for the chute to unfurl. My standard advice is to ask any 10-12 year old kids on the flight line to help you track by pointing at the rocket while it's in the air. Take advantage of young eyes. :) 2500 or so feet shouldn't be out of view anyway, but just in case...

If it didn't shred on a G125, it won't on an H135, so that's all good. As long as stability is fine, you shouldn't have issues. I might set the JLCR a little higher unless you already have experience with how long it takes for the chute to unfurl. My standard advice is to ask any 10-12 year old kids on the flight line to help you track by pointing at the rocket while it's in the air. Take advantage of young eyes. :) 2500 or so feet shouldn't be out of view anyway, but just in case...

Back