FLY the FLAG...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Not too long ago I adopted a policy for our soon-to-be club. At every rocketry event and local TRF meet a US Flag will be flown. Odd/Different as that may sound, the presence of the colors at every meet adds something to a launch that you won't get without it. In yesterday's usage (See Events Forum), not only did it make us feel patriotic, but it called the attention of several passersby. The US Flag is perhaps something that as Americans, we can all relate to. In this day and age of terrorism and military involvement overseas, it is not only patriotic, but it also a welcoming and inviting sight and certainly conveys a sense of "class." In my opinion, it made our launch open for anyone to spectate or participate. Had it not been flown, I think the general passerby may have passed us up or not felt "welcomed." No longer were we strangers, but rocketeers excercising our freedoms. Whatever your reason, I encourage to go out and buy yourself a Flag. I got mine with pole for $14 at good ol' WalMart.

I'm not certain of the political climates and patriotisms in other countries, but even if you are not American I would certainly encourage you to fly your country's colors at your next rocket meet.

Perhaps sometime down the road EMRR might make a contest or open invite of this, but for now I'd like to invite anyone on this forum to share a picture of their US Flag flying at their launch.

Eugene, I think you are exactly right.......... Sort of have the flag flying while the "range" is open....... I mean put it up when the Prefect calls in to open the flying window...........

But I must add, that the flag needs to be flown right........ Meaning there are a few rules that must be followed.........The American Flag can not be left flying at night without a light on it...... And it must not be allowed to touch the ground.........

I will look into getting the flag and pole and maybe a flag stand for our next launch..........

Shameless patriotic plug here.

Notice almost all of my kits have an American flag or "U.S. Air Force" or "United States" somewhere in the decals!

This way you can really "fly" the flag!

sandman

P.S. Except for Der Red Max.

Just being lazy here on a Sunday morning...

Does anyone offer a sheet of decals or stick on US flags?

I've always used a flag on ships I've built... if and when they were available...I'd put one on every rocket if I had them...!!!

Even more so now, in light of this mornings events...makes you feel proud...!!!

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
But I must add, that the flag needs to be flown right........ Meaning there are a few rules that must be followed.........The American Flag can not be left flying at night without a light on it...... And it must not be allowed to touch the ground.........

I am fairly well familiar with the customs and courtesies outlined for the displaying of the American Flag. As a matter of fact, I was walking in a very popular mall not too long ago and noticed a deli displaying a large cardboard flag in its window. The flag was displayed improperly in that the stars (union) were on the bottom and the stripes facing upwards. (This position indicates a US surrender! :eek: ) I went inside to inform the manager and point out the oversight to which he snottily replied - "Oh it's just there to keep the sun out." I then reverberated with, "Then may I suggest you purchase a curtain and remove your flag, Sir." I then continued by telling him that many military troops frequent through there (MacDill, AFB in Tampa, FL) and that this improper gesture has the potential to offend many. After a fairly stern and sincere request, he walked over and flipped it around to which I replied, "Thank you." ;) In the past I've been known to request businesses replace worn, faded, and tattered flags. I suppose in this day and age, especially when oppressed rocketeers are involved, I tend to be a bit more sensitive to patriotism. You'd think that after the WTC disaster people would be a little more aware. Heck, if a Vietnam or WWII vet ever saw an improper usage of the flag I would run away as quickly as possible!

FYI - When hung in a window, place the blue union in the upper left, as viewed from the street.

...and no, I'm not going to be the US Flag NAZI from here on out. Just trying to make a point is all. :)

Originally posted by Steward

Does anyone offer a sheet of decals or stick on US flags?

I've seen at Wal-mart a booklet of American Flag stickers. It was only a couple bucks and had about 200 stickers in it of different sizes and orientations. I found it near the party favor / birthday card isle, and have seen it near the school supplies also.

slim

Originally posted by eugenefl
if a Vietnam or WWII vet ever saw an improper usage of the flag I would run away as quickly as possible!

...and no, I'm not going to be the US Flag NAZI from here on out. Just trying to make a point is all. :)

Eugene, great post and I would like to thank you for placing it here as well as flying the American Flag at club events. It is a time in American history when the silent majority should no longer remain silent, Dislaying the American flag is a great way of supporting America and what it stands for without ever saying a word.

Here's my <a href= "https://www.soundingrocket.com/myrockets/mid_power.shtml#mirage">flag</a>, and it flies too.

Nice Mirage! I may have to get one of those myself, how much do they go for? I will probably be getting some money for Christmas. I don't think my club has a flag, might want to recommend one, or better yet, buy one!

Blue

Originally posted by rocwizard
Or this one:

P.S. saxophone, nice looking paint job!:)

Gotta love the Freedom Phiter! I absolutely love that rocket! I believe Derek Deville of Florida owns it. I may have to pay tribute to the Phiter sometime.

Nice Mirage Sax! Hey, flags that *really* fly work for me too!

That's an awesome idea! Great paint jobs on the rockets too, guys!

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Nice Mirage! I may have to get one of those myself, how much do they go for? I will probably be getting some money for Christmas. I don't think my club has a flag, might want to recommend one, or better yet, buy one!

Blue

The Aerotech Mirage runs about $85 depending on the discount.\

I actually found the official specs for the American flag such as ratio of the sides
of the blue field, size and location of the stars etc. The stars were a bit
of a pain. Painted everything white. Then I cut stars out of masking tape
and stuck them on and painted over that with blue. Unfortunately,
when I peeled the star-masking tape off the nose cone, some of the
paint and primer came off as well. Stuff just doesn't like to stick to
the nose cone. I had to do it over and over again. Up close, you can still
see where the paint was pulled off of the nose cone and I tried to cover
up those holes by brushing the pain on. Oh well. It looks good from
a distance. The paint job combined with the Mirage's size always
draws attention at club launches.

I exchanged e-mail with the owner of the Freedom Phiter, and he said
he had a professional sign painter paint his rocket. His flag has some nice