Fly-away rail guides: 54mm 3D-printed available now

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've started a new thread for them, but just to update everyone here, the 54mm rail guides are finally in production, and the first dozen or so will be available at AIRFest 21! They should arrive at the AMWProX trailer on Saturday Morning!

Happy Flying!

Hi Bill,
I have been generously redirected to ask my question of you.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by kweaver
Hi Robert,
I have one of the 38mm Fly away rail guides, that I picked up from AMW in January. Love it!
I and a few others, would like to get some 29mm Fly away rail guides. Any word on availability date?
Anxiously awaiting in Tucson, AZ! :)

29mm Rail Guides exist! AMW May have some...try shooting them a line via email (see the AMWProX contact page) and if they don't have any in stock I can make some up for them pretty quickly!

Sorry for the late response...I've been so all-consumed trying to upgrade the product line lately that I haven't been as active here as I like!

I've started a new thread for them, but just to update everyone here, the 54mm rail guides are finally in production, and the first dozen or so will be available at AIRFest 21! They should arrive at the AMWProX trailer on Saturday Morning!

Happy Flying!

Will get me one of these later on for my Mariah 54.

I received the following report from a beta tester at BALLS24 about which I am very excited:

54 mm Blackhawk on a Ellis Mountain L-330 with a 9 1/2 second burn & hit 20,784 feet.
54 mm very customized Punisher on a Loki L-2050 26,892 feet, 2590 mph, mach 3.4. That was fricken awesome, I used high temp engine paint & it melted most of the paint off.

I used the fly away rail guides on both projects, they worked flawless. The Blackhawk flight, I saw the rail guides pop off right at the top of the launch rail & landed 5 feet a way. The other flight it was 40 feet a way.​

The Loki L-2050 has a liftoff thrust in the neighborhood of 2700 N. I hope to have photos that I can post soon, but I want to congratulate these guys on a great flight (this was a loaner set from rockdoc, so I don't know them personally...I'll try to get more info).

I hope that I will be able to see rail guide separation in the photos. The rocket and guides were doubtlessly moving at quite a pace when they left the rail, so it is unsurprising to me that the guides would continue upwards on their own and land quite some distance away.

Available now from AMXProx.com.

Excellent I'll be sure to get this for my Mariah 54. I am looking forward to having an awesome flight without the need of a tower.

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere in the thread, but what is the best way to reach Mayhem Rocketry for product support?

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere in the thread, but what is the best way to reach Mayhem Rocketry for product support?
Not really sure how to get in touch with Bill now. I had sent him a few PM's reporting back on my positive experience using his 54mm fly away guide to set a new Canadian Association of Rocketry J impulse record and send him a picture of the launch, received no reply from him. Which in itself is odd from my previous experience PMing him.
I hope he is well and something bad has not caused his lack of response!

Last edited:
Hi Bill, you had mentioned a while ago releasing the STL files for these, did you ever do that or did you stick to only producing them commercially because of the time you've put into them?

If you're only selling them commercially, have you considered the possibility of selling the STL files for personal non-commercial use? I'd prefer to print my own, but understand if you don't want to release the files.

Thanks

Back