Fluxion, a Planetary Defense Fighter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
Hat tip to @neil_w for the ChatGPT names thread. This design wouldn't exist without it. Without further ado...

[Cue upbeat Military-Industrial Complex sales presentation]
Are you looking for a better planetary defense fighter? The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation has the ideal solution for you. Introducing ... Fluxion. Fluxion is the newest, most powerful defense solution available. It's got one job: destroy your enemies before they can get a shot at you. Fitted with a powerful fusion reactor and combination directed energy/relativistic matter projection cannons, Fluxion can cut through any known shields in less than 5 seconds. Its ion engine makes Fluxion fast and nimble, reaching speeds of 0.8C and a turning radius that leaves everyone else in the dust. Fluxion's targeting systems are connected to the pilot with SCC's proprietary UniversalCyborg interface, forming a direct synaptic connection to all major sentient lifeforms in the Galaxy. Best of all, Fluxion is easily refueled and rearmed. Just dip into a star's corona and Fluxion's particle scoops will refill the fusion banks. A quick trip to a gas giant will refill the matter projection cannons. All with the same scoops! Fluxion is truly a modern solution for all of your planetary defense needs. Contact the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation sales department for more details and purchase plans.

Fluxion can be loaded into a carrier ship for hyperspace journeys, but only if you solemnly pinkie promise not to eradicate all life in a neighboring star system.

1679952193155.png

BT-70 based, 24mm motor mount, pods on fins on pods on fins. I need to make the main fins a little more elegant and add a little stability. And find a pointy BT-70 nose cone. In an ideal world, I'd have some 3D printed hose assemblies coming off of the backs of the 6 particle collector tubes and running into the body. I'm not quite sure how to do that without inviting breakage, so that may pass later.

Erockets.biz sells a $7 BT-70 nosecone that I think originates from Rocketarium.
I've used it on two of my BT-70 rocket projects (Totally Tubular and Javelin) that share swappable motor mounts.

Love it! I need to see the 3D finished view.

There are certain... interesting parallels with what you've done there and an upcoming build of mine. ;)
Well, I'm glad I beat you to this one. I still have a near-clone of Shear Insanity on my mental build pile. I had been noodling it for a while and then your thread came out... :D

I need to get more practice with the 3D finish views. I've never really used them, mainly working in various CAD programs for the visualizations.

Sirius Cybernetics? Really? Wasn't their marketing department the first ones against the wall when the revolution came? :D

Neat looking design, though.
Why do you think they want a planetary defense fighter?! :D It is definitely far out of my comfort zone in terms of greebliness.

Very nice, I like it.

In an ideal world, I'd have some 3D printed hose assemblies coming off of the backs of the 6 particle collector tubes and running into the body. I'm not quite sure how to do that without inviting breakage, so that may pass later.

What about something flexible (and therefore unbreakable) like weed wacker cord? Comes in neon green or hot pink to boot.

I still have a near-clone of Shear Insanity on my mental build pile.

That's another one that I haven't forgotten about, one day.....

Sirius Cybernetics? Really? Wasn't their marketing department the first ones against the wall when the revolution came? :D

Neat looking design, though.

I heard that their Complaints Department is the largest and only profitable division of the company.

Edit: found that quote about their products:

"...it is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the

sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all.

In other words – and this is the rock-solid principle on which the whole

of the Corporation's Galaxywide success is founded – their fundamental

design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws."
No offense to boatgeek, I'm confident this will be a rock-solid rocket

Last edited:
Edit: found that quote about their products:

"...it is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the

sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all.

In other words – and this is the rock-solid principle on which the whole

of the Corporation's Galaxywide success is founded – their fundamental

design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws."

No offense to boatgeek, I'm confident this will be a rock-solid rocket
None taken. I obviously knew what was coming when I chose the manufacturer name. :D

I need to get more practice with the 3D finish views. I've never really used them, mainly working in various CAD programs for the visualizations.
Not much to the mechanics of it... the hard part is coming up with a good paint scheme. Make liberal use of component multi-edit when setting the colors. E.g. initially, multiedit all the components *except the pods* (at least until next release) and uncheck "Use default appearance", and set a color. That'll then color the whole rocket. Big time saver to get started, and also to bulk-change colors. More convenience features coming next release.

For decals refer to my old tutorial, which still applies (that's a little decal pun for you): https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...so-quick-and-fairly-complete-tutorial.129192/

Do you have a paint scheme in mind?

Not much to the mechanics of it... the hard part is coming up with a good paint scheme. Make liberal use of component multi-edit when setting the colors. E.g. initially, multiedit all the components *except the pods* (at least until next release) and uncheck "Use default appearance", and set a color. That'll then color the whole rocket. Big time saver to get started, and also to bulk-change colors. More convenience features coming next release.

For decals refer to my old tutorial, which still applies (that's a little decal pun for you): https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...so-quick-and-fairly-complete-tutorial.129192/

Do you have a paint scheme in mind?
I need to think about it a little while. I was thinking of metallic silver for the body and possibly nose, then some black and red detailing around the pods and guns. I'm also thinking that the particle scoops may have 3D printed funnel openings on top. Those would likely be flat black. The main thing is that the paint scheme should highlight that there's a right end of the ship to be on and a wrong end, to further steal from Douglas Adams. The consensus of Google Images is that the SCC's corporate logo looks something like this (with or without robot dog):
1679967345691.png

That's pretty bland, though I may want to get some decals made with Fluxion in a similar font.

Sweet. Is that a Shrinky Dink parachute? Way to Fluxion small.
It is pretty puny. I make my own thin mill parachutes, so for the first round of rough design I don't really worry about chute size. I just try to get it in the right place so it's not too farr off of CG. I think this one uses an 18" chute, which won't be any trouble in a BT-70. In point of fact, I'm not sure I have that in stock, so I'll have to make another. I think I still have that pattern around though.

In an ideal world, I'd have some 3D printed hose assemblies coming off of the backs of the 6 particle collector tubes and running into the body. I'm not quite sure how to do that without inviting breakage, so that may pass later.
Proposed for your consideration: split the fins and join them back together with a dowel between the halves. If the fins are, say 1/8" thick (for the sake of discussion) then use a 1/4" dowel. That way you've got a hose embedded in the fin.
1680022744957.png
One problem with that, though, is that it might be too much of a good, reliable design for Sirius Cybernetics.

Proposed for your consideration: split the fins and join them back together with a dowel between the halves. If the fins are, say 1/8" thick (for the sake of discussion) then use a 1/4" dowel. That way you've got a hose embedded in the fin.
View attachment 571369
One problem with that, though, is that it might be too much of a good, reliable design for Sirius Cybernetics.
Oh, that's a nice idea. I would probably do it as a half oval on each side to keep the structure of the fin, but that solves the concept.

It’s gonna be cool as is, but given your back story, adding one (or THREE!) “Snarky”-style scoops between the fins would spice it up. Probably make it overstable, however.

Unless… you moved the rear fin position forward. That has the advantage of recovering more likely to impact on the motor casing than on the fins.

It’s gonna be cool as is, but given your back story, adding one (or THREE!) “Snarky”-style scoops between the fins would spice it up. Probably make it overstable, however.

Unless… you moved the rear fin position forward. That has the advantage of recovering more likely to impact on the motor casing than on the fins.
The outermost pods are intended to be the scoops, but I may think about adding something back aft. I'm short of stability right now, so those would help.

Clarify something, if you would.
1680029637180.png
Which bits are the scoops and which are the pew-pew sticks?

EDIT: ninjad. But it you add the half-tube scoops, then all nine straws could be pre-pre sticks, two different kinds, for the directed energy and kinetic kill weapons.

Clarify something, if you would.
View attachment 571382
Which bits are the scoops and which are the pew-pew sticks?

EDIT: ninjad. But it you add the half-tube scoops, then all nine straws could be pre-pre sticks, two different kinds, for the directed energy and kinetic kill weapons.
Ah, excellent point. I had envisioned the center (red) as the pew-pew stick, dual purpose, and the outer pods were the scoops with funnels (green):
1680030511336.png

But now that you mention it, there's an option for further begreebling by making them two kinds of pew-pew sticks and adding scoops to the fin roots. I want to retain the space between the fins for a launch rail, so I can't go full-on Snark. The mid-wing conduits can be power/particle transmission to the pew-pew sticks.

1680030649096.png

The outermost pods are intended to be the scoops, but I may think about adding something back aft. I'm short of stability right now, so those would help.
If stability is an issue, extending the lateral “T” tops of the fins even a small amount will pay back handsomely in added CP shift, since the are so far outboard.

Depending on the size of your scoop or scoops, you may be able to run the rail THROUGH one of them. It’s a nice place to hide rail buttons. You may need to attach one or both rail buttons BEFORE you attach the scoop.

And if it goes off of a rod, you can certainly hide lugs inside a scoop. How heavy is this going to be?
Hopefully I'll be able to launch it on a D12. If not, a D15 should work. I'll get better numbers once I do a little more design work.

Back