Fluorescent Red for Nike Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fluorescent colors do not reproduce well in photographs.
Makes it difficult to match.
On top of that many times the technicians used whatever paint was on the shelf.

I see Testor's has a fluorescent red in a bottle but not in a spray.

Rusto has a color they call fluorescent red-orange, my guess is it's too orange for you: https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/fluorescent-spray/
Yup tried it, quite orange. I have seen the small bottle of Testor's Fluor Red and have been tempted to buy a case and shoot it through and airbrush but still hoping to find something more economical. Thanks for the suggestions.
William

Yup tried it, quite orange. I have seen the small bottle of Testor's Fluor Red and have been tempted to buy a case and shoot it through and airbrush but still hoping to find something more economical. Thanks for the suggestions.
William
I ran into the same color issue when I did my Nike Smoke (4 actually). I found if I took the Testors Model Master Fluoro Red and the Model masters Insignia Red, mixed them 2:1 (Fluoro : Insignia) the results were pretty much spot on. A true red with just enough fluorescent "pop" to look right. Did the same with the Fluorescent Yellow and Insignia Yellow. In both cases it was over a white base. You mentioned you had an airbrush so this may prove to be an option.

Anyone looked at the Montana Fire Red yet? Seems like the closest thing you can get pre-mixed in a can.

Montana is difficult to find around Sacramento however I did find some in a neighboring county but the red I picked up is 'Madrid Red'. A really intense red more like Ferrari Red. Ended up using that over white base and looks ok just not quite Fluoro enough. Will look for Fire Red next time I'm in Grass Valley.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
William

What types of paints were available in 1966?
I would think the paint would be the same as used on target planes of the same era, there may be a record of that color.

M

Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent Red spray lacquer worked for me. As others have noted earlier is this thread, undercoating with white helps make fluorescent colors pop.

IMG_3993.JPG

James

I've been through so many cans of fluorescent paint. What I discovered was how the pastel colors make better paint jobs. I bought some green fluro from Ace and it really wasn't all that. I could barely see the "glowing". It was a much darker shade of green though. Never saw any red anywhere. I suppose, the green and red colors just make for poor fluorescence. And, FWIW, I always do a white primer or flat white before I spray fluro colors.

A few thoughts. I don't think that there are any great lost fluorescent pigments. I'm pretty sure the original fluorescent reds were either that too pinkish or too orange-ish color. And the yellow was that hideous chartreuse. Also, in the good old days, different color films had their peculiarities. I vividly remember slides of orange models coming out red. And film could turn that awful chartreuse yellow into a nice pure yellow. Matching paint to color film photos can be deceptive. Add in aging effects, and the whole thing is pretty darned iffy.

A few thoughts. I don't think that there are any great lost fluorescent pigments. I'm pretty sure the original fluorescent reds were either that too pinkish or too orange-ish color. And the yellow was that hideous chartreuse. Also, in the good old days, different color films had their peculiarities. I vividly remember slides of orange models coming out red. And film could turn that awful chartreuse yellow into a nice pure yellow. Matching paint to color film photos can be deceptive. Add in aging effects, and the whole thing is pretty darned iffy.

Peter,

Back in those days, the paint might have even been lead-based.

Dave F.

Seymour makes fluorescent mine marking paint in orange, yellow and green. It's long lasting in nasty conditions, very fluorescent and will stick to and dry on wet surfaces. Used it in coal mines to mark test holes, rope bolts when bolting top and the minerman used it to mark his centerline. Only downside to painting fins is it's an upright spray can.

Back