Quantcast

Florida Man Arrested for Making his Own Explosives (TATP)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
According to his statement, he started making homemade explosives after becoming interested in them from his "model rocket hobby." Anyone in the Orlando area know Jared Coburn, age 37?

His statement claimed that he was attempting to make homemade fireworks. The bomb squad dug a hole in a nearby field and detonated the TATP in a series of seven explosions.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/14/6677...g-highly-volatile-explosive-popular-with-isis

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's amazing how model rocketry can morph into ISIS.
When I was a kid, all you had to do is present photo ID proof of being 18 and buy Dynamite at the local hardware store.
I want to go back and forever live in the 60's!!!
A much more pleasant and trust worthy society, even though you lived under the threat of being nuked...it never came.

heada

Reaction score
I don't know him or anything about him but TATP is never used in fireworks. Its WAY too unstable for that. It's only use that I know of is as an explosive only and a primary high explosive at that.

rcktnut

Reaction score
Model rockets and fireworks my arsh. I don't think the authorities are going to buy that either, even if he has a few model rockets laying around.
The stuff he has has nothing to do with rockets or fireworks.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Model rockets and fireworks my arsh. I don't think the authorities are going to buy that either, even if he has a few model rockets laying around.
The stuff he has has nothing to do with rockets or fireworks.
I agree - sounds like malarkey.

Eljay

Reaction score
I'd believe he got interested in rockets then pyro stuff in general and then realized it's pretty easy to make some fun stuff. Regular people can definitely push things too far in unfortunate directions, let alone Florida Man. That guy's nuts.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh, yes, the Florida Man as presented by the Daily Show. It's such a big job, they've brought on more people to get all the wild stuff done.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I sure hope he was not a member of our clubs. We do not need the attention to the hobby.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That is good news. 2nd person with ties to the hobby that has been involved with IED-type explosives lately. This isn't good for the hobby at all.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
That is good news. 2nd person with ties to the hobby that has been involved with IED-type explosives lately. This isn't good for the hobby at all.
Who was the other? The only other one that was rumored had all charges dropped as I recall.

Reaction score
According to his statement, he started making homemade explosives after becoming interested in them from his "model rocket hobby." Anyone in the Orlando area know Jared Coburn, age 37?

His statement claimed that he was attempting to make homemade fireworks. The bomb squad dug a hole in a nearby field and detonated the TATP in a series of seven explosions.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/14/6677...g-highly-volatile-explosive-popular-with-isis
100% know that in his adult life he was not into model rockets and had no interest in them.

Latest posts