Floor polish clear question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnager

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using floor polish as clear for several rockets. It works fairly well, but....

For those that do this, If you need to make a repair, or decide you want to add paint/graphics/change colors, do you (and how) remove this coating before adding paint again?

I would plan on sanding this stuff off, but don't know how bad it gets into cracks/etc, and whether paint will stick reliably.

Another possibility would be to use floor stripper, but I'd be a little leery of the paint below surviving.

Ammonia is the officially sanctioned Future remover.

Any experience with ammonia and cured/dried water based acrylics? Some acrylic airbrush paints have ammonia in their cleaning solution. Windex is also mentioned for this.

I need to get some different things and test them on a few scraps. If this turns into an issue, I will just use the water based clear in the *future*.

It depends on the acrylic. I don't strip Future when I use it. I just go over it with new paint and Future. Future will blend to itself pretty well.

If you have painted and it cracked on you then you either have to strip with ammonia or sand it off. Either way, you are pretty much committed once you start.

It depends on the acrylic. I don't strip Future when I use it. I just go over it with new paint and Future. Future will blend to itself pretty well.

If you have painted and it cracked on you then you either have to strip with ammonia or sand it off. Either way, you are pretty much committed once you start.

The last touches I think I want to add will just be shadows/shading. I may try it. Still going to test some pieces to see if it is removable without sanding.

I stopped using Future a while back for a couple of reasons. The first was that the soot gets stuck in the finish around the upper body tube and the only way to remove it is to strip and reapply. Getting that stuff off is near impossible even with ammonia. I've tried a half a dozen products and nothing I could find would take it off.

The second reason is repairs. Glue won't stick to it and most paints won't stick.

The shine is great for shelf queens but I wouldn't let that within a mile of something I'm flying.

Back