FlisKits: Triskelion!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's a day early, but I am going to be very busy tomorrow so I wanted to give everyone a heads up on the new Triskelion kit that we will be announcing tomorrow at our birthday bash :)

The Triskelion is a BT-55 based model rocket that stands 13.9" tall with a fin span of over 7"

The main feature of this Skill Level 1 kit is that it is uniquely suited for classroom construction.

Laser cut fins promote this feature, but more than that, it is designed to be built in about 45 minutes in a very small space.

Each main fin is glued to a Fin Tip. The base (trailing edge) of the fin and the fin tip are flat with respect to each other and the rocket itself, so after gluing the tip onto the fin, you can set it aside to dry and it will stand up on its own.

Then, with the aid of a centering ring that you glue to a template, you stand the body tube up on the template, and stand the fins in place to glue them on. You can glue on all 3 fins at the same time them leave them to dry as you make the parachute and finish up other steps.

A great little rocket. I will be flying mine this weekend at the party.

Here is an image of the rocket.

jim

naw man, the conversion is a killer! 10,376.4 quatloos to the dollar or about 1987 quatloos to the credit and 587.5 quatloos to the bar of gold pressed latnum....

(so, did I peg the geek-o-meter?) :D

Cool a rocket with a buit in fin glung jig.

Now where is that plastic one I got from Estes? It's got saucer written all over it...

thats quite the cool looking rocket... thats probably my next FLIS KITS kit i'll tell ya what.

FlisKits is proud to announce our 23rd kit, the Triskelion!

The Triskelion is a perfect first rocket with laser cut fins, fin alignment template and a design and construction method that allows for very easy and quick assembly, even with balsa parts.

The kit is available immediately with a price of $10.95

Full details available on our website at https://fliskits.com/

This kit will be available for sale at our birthday launch in Tewksbury Mass tomorrow. The first 25 *kids* who come to our table between 10 and noon will receive a FREE Triskelion. After noon, if there are any of the 25 left over, they will be available to the adults too :) After that, they will be available ON THE FIELD for an introductory price of $9.95.

Get yours today!

I picked up one of these at the CMASS Anniversary launch last Sunday.

I started building it yesterday and finished it today. The last of the glue fillets are drying now. It was a very easy build and it sure is a cool looking rocket.

It seems kind of small for a 16" chute.

I know that the chute is marked to cut it out as a 12" or 8" but a beginner isn't going to know to do that.

Maybe Jim can tell me how fast it comes down if I make the chute full size.

Originally posted by BobH48
I picked up one of these at the CMASS Anniversary launch last Sunday.
I started building it yesterday and finished it today.

got pix?

Good comment on the parachute. I deliberatly left it full size as my experience is that the youngsters can get as upset about a broken rocket as they do a lost one. *however*, the next run of documentation, I will put a section in there explaining about recovery of this model, the different chute sizes and how to choose. I could also explain about reefing and spill holes too.

Also, you *could* use a 12" chute, but I would venture that you would break fins with the 8" parachute.

jim

Also, you *could* use a 12" chute, but I would venture that you would break fins with the 8" parachute.

I was thinking of the 12" chute. I would rather fix a fin than buy a new rocket.

Maybe not your priority ;) :D (just kidding)

I agree that an 8" chute is probably too small for this rocket. The fins are quite long and stick straight out from the body tube.

But, as you are well aware, flying in New England is not the place for a "drifter".

Here is a picture of the completed rocket (unfinished).

BobH48,
Looks real good. Mine showed up this morning,and I have only one complaint....Jim said the next kit he sent me would have a Kay Jewlers sticker on the box.... He must have fogotten...My wife saw the box and said," NOW WHAT DID YOU ORDER":rolleyes:

What color are you going with?
This thing looks like it would build quick.

My son has just joined the Civil Air Patrol,and the wing commander is interested in doing something with rockets....Hummmm.
Larry

What color are you going with?
This thing looks like it would build quick.

I'm not sure what the color scheme is going to be exactly but I have plenty of rockets that are yellow and black, a lot of scale looking rockets in basic white with decals, and a couple of red ones.

So, I'm thinking maybe purple or blue.

Edit: I may just try to duplicate the header card.. that's a cool looking color scheme.

I built it in a couple of hours while I was working on another rocket.

at the Cmass launch a young man approched me looking for a motor for his triskelion wich I donated with a smile just to watch the thing fly he did have a sizeable spill hole in the chute and it did do remarkable well a perfect flight and the landing was perfect not far from the launch pad I was very impressed that he had put together his free rocket and flew it all in the course of a couple hours. nice job jim keep it up and some day you will be a seccussful rocket kitter :D (he he he) the one I bought will be a christmas present (maybe) and the free one is waiting for the homework to give him a break :D

I forgot to mention this but I think that Jim made a mistake when he put my kit together.

He "accidentally" put in a shock cord that was actually long enough to be useable.:rolleyes:

Whats up with that? :D

Well, I am glad that the kit seems to be working out so well (comments about the shock cord not withstanding... :p :p )

Every time we release a new kit, there is always that concern that there is a major (or even minor) screw up that got through the reveiwers...

So far the Triskelion is pretty clean :) and she *does* go together quick and easy. That was the point. Come up with a fairly conventional kit, using *conventional* materials (balsa, paper, etc) and *still* have a quick build so that teachers could consider it for their classrooms.

jim

I was just kidding about the shock cord because certain kit manufacturers can't seem to put a decent length one in their kits.

The kit was complete with nothing missing and the quality of the parts also good. The body tube is good and solid. Not flimsy and easily crushed like some of the tubes on the market.

Jim, I think you have a winner here.

Looks like a hybrid, taking the best of both the Praetor and the Stingray... and it's easy to build! Wow, Jim, looks like you've outdone yourself!

WW

So Jim, where'd the name Triskelion come from?
Does it mean anything, or did you just pull some random letters out of your................................. hat? ;)

Tim

Oh, I forgot to mention:
I made my son another shirt. I don't have a pic right now, but it has the Triskelion printed on the front. I'll get a pic whenever I can get him to stand still long enough. :)

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
So Jim, where'd the name Triskelion come from?
Does it mean anything, or did you just pull some random letters out of your................................. hat? ;)

Tim

The name has always Intrigued me since watching an old episode of star trek called the Gamesters of Triskelion

Jim,

Bravo for an excellent new kit!

Got a RockSim file for the Triskelion yet? If not send me the details and I will gladly create one using my "Fins on Fins" simulation technique.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

I'm hoping I have enough spare time to get mine sealed and painted so I can bring it to the CMASS launch this Saturday.

Edit: Jim, I am assuming that you will be at the Amesbury launch. Correct??

I will be at the launch, but not untill about 12:30 as I am teaching a 4-H rocketry class in the morning. My daughter will be there for the whole launch though.

Come look me up around 12:30 - 1:00 though :)

jim

Back