FlisKits Tri-Glide

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I first came up with this design back in the early 80's and have flown it for years. When I started up FlisKits, this was going to be one of the original kits, but I could not locate *the* critical part anywhere. I couldn't even verify the manufacturer...

So, I grounded my model and benched the design in the hopes that I would eventually find that part again. And I did :)

So, at tomorrow's CMASS launch I will be test flying the first kit-proto of the Tri-Glide.

Here are a couple of TRF-First pictures of the proto:

Here is the main rocket, BT-55 based, 18" long body tube. This is it. Complete (well, the *rocket* that is)... :D

Here is a close up of the little gliders. There will be 3 of them. They will act as the rockets fins during boost and will detach at ejection. The main ship will come down by parachute.

Just as a quick job, for decoration, I colored the gliders with sharpie pens

lastly, here is a shot from the rear (NOTE: The engine mount has not yet been installed. This will be an 18mm bird.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Geh heh heh.

Will it be ready before Christmas?

Sorry, no... :(

Our plan is to release this kit at NARCON in March. We have the Alien8 and two other kits planed for release before the end of the year so our plate is already full :)

Jim it looks really good. two questions

1.) Do you have an idea on price range and when will it be available for dealers to hock?

2.) It kind of reminds me of the deltie airshow in a way. Any comments on that?

Originally posted by jflis
......I could not locate *the* critical part anywhere. I couldn't even verify the manufacturer...

Would the "critical part" happen to be the little gliders?

I don't see anything else in the pictures that you couldn't have made yourself.

Originally posted by UncMikesRktShk
Jim it looks really good. two questions

1.) Do you have an idea on price range and when will it be available for dealers to hock?

2.) It kind of reminds me of the deltie airshow in a way. Any comments on that?

1) No pricing yet. Probably not until we get hard orders in on the material

2) Not familiar with the deltie airshow. Is that a kit?

Originally posted by BobH48
Would the "critical part" happen to be the little gliders?

I don't see anything else in the pictures that you couldn't have made yourself.

yep, then darned little gliders! I've found *hundreds* of different gliders, but I wanted *those* little gliders :) Reliable, low cost, easy to use. good stuff

The gliders themselves will also be availble in 3-packs to serve as replacements and just for the fun of it

Jim,

Deltie Airshow is an Edmonds kit (aka the GOD of gliders). Here's a link

1) No pricing yet. Probably not until we get hard orders in on the material

Here is a photo of the Deltie Airshow its made by Edmonds Aerospace.

DeltieAirshow.jpeg

It carries 3 "Deltie" gliders for release
Photo of a single Deltie
Edmon_pict10.jpeg

Hello,

That is what I thought when I saw the pictures. It reminds me of the Delta Airshow. But then again, Jim must be getting used to his designs being compared to other designs. In Sport Rocketry Magazine, a guy compared the Tres to the Mars Snooper. I thought it was a bit of a stretch.

Brian

yep, then darned little gliders! I've found *hundreds* of different gliders, but I wanted *those* little gliders :) Reliable, low cost, easy to use. good stuff

The gliders themselves will also be availble in 3-packs to serve as replacements and just for the fun of it

Very nice Jim! Good to see you will be adding a glider design to your line. I think I bought a 2-pack of those little gliders just recently. They look just like em.

Jim

Oh yea, now I remember that. In fact I was talking to Rob Edmonds about that at NARAM this past year. Had completely slipped my mind. Interesting in the corilation to the Tri-Glide, but really no true relation. The Tri-Glide has been flying since about 1982... :)

Flew great today at CMASS too. Here is a pix of its maiden flight!

Back