FlisKits Tres Pre-Announcement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Later than I had hoped, but well worth the wait in my opinion :)

tres_logo.gif

This is a TRF pre-announcement of the Tres model rocket kit from FlisKits.

We expect to have a formal site announcement this weekend with product ready to ship on December 5th.

IMPORTANT: Shortly after the FlisKits site announcement, we WILL be able to take pre-orders for the Tres with the following restrictions:

1) The ship date is not firm and is subject to change.
2) The "OverDue" promotion will not apply to pre-orders (we're learning :) )

We understand the desire to be able to pre-order our kits but also have to recognize that we do not have control over the shippers that our vendors may use. These production and ship dates are based on scheduled ship dates of the materials needed to produce this kit. For this reason, we are letting you know up front that delays in shipping your order are distinctly possible and that the buyer accepts this risk.

Also, depending on order volume, *your* order may not ship on the 5th, even if the product ships on the 5th. All orders will be shipped in the order that they are received.

Also, we have a new paint scheme for the Tres that appears on the cover art. Both the Black/Red of my current proto type and the new Black/Yellow have their own merits. Both are great and I am sure that there will be many more outstanding paint concepts over the coming months.

I have attached an image of the new paint scheme for all to enjoy

KEEP WATCH!

:D :D :D

I want to thank everyone on TRF for the enthusiasm towards this release. I know you have been waiting a long time, but as we grow larger our resources are spread a bit thinner.

This was a *banner* year for trips around the country, meeting old and new friends and showing the world that we are serious about rocketry. This is a good thing for both our company and our customers, but it also takes time to prepare, attend and account for these trips.

I am very excited about this release. It occured to me as I was preparing the documentation that this is CL003, meaning that it is our 3rd Cluster kit (for those of you who haven't figured out our numbering schema yet :) ) and it is the FIRST cluster released since our opening over a year ago.

The Tres has excited folks since its first public viewing way back at the Whitaker launch. It wowed them at NSL and at NARAM and tickles the bejeebers out of the folks at CMASS as they get to see her fly all the time.

It excites me as well because this design is NOT one of my original designs from "back-when". Many of our kit designs are designs from many years ago that i've been flying for a long time (Deuce, Richter Recker, Praetor, etc). But the Tres is new. The Tres is the result of customer feed back. And the Tres was my attempt to provide the much asked for 3-canted motor kit while not simply duplicating the Deuce with 3 motors.

She's new, she's different and she's the cousin to the Deuce's Wild!, not her long lost brother :)

I will keep the forum posted on progress towards full production. In the mean time, here's an example of one of the figures from the instructions:

"Gentlemen - Take your mark....get set....ORDER!" LOL...Jim, I think you have a real winner here. Do you wish to comment on the distribution order? I understand many will be interested in obtaining a numbered kit, possibly under 25. Will the customers be given priority or first dibs on the early numbered kits or will they be randomly distributed? Gotta buy 2 kits if it's under production number 25, ya know? ;)

:D AT LAST:D
Congratulations on the rollout Jim, I'm sure that the numbered kits will quickly be an endangered species!!
Maybe you can have some promotion for purchases in multiples of three!!:rolleyes:

The numbered kits have created quite the excitement :)

And, i'm thrilled because this was the *reason* for it, and it's nice to see that I seem to know what i'm doing as far as marketing is concerned (I am *NO*body's marketing major... LOL :p )

The numbered kits (starting at #4) will be shipped out pretty much as they are ordered. Kit #1 is always held for auction and Kits #2 & #3 are always reserved.

Also, one kit is reserved for Daniel Westley as the winner of our Anniversary contest. The kit number that Daniel will receive will be a single digit number.

Also, there are some of the Tres kits that have been reserved for some individuals for their help with this kits and other activity.

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Also, one kit is reserved for Daniel Westley as the winner of our Anniversary contest. The kit number that Daniel will receive will be a single digit number.
:D

Great job Jim!!!!!!!! I knew you could do it with Kathy's and Brian's help.:D

I responded to your "Limo Overdue" also and I can't wait to get my hands on these. I was a little concerned that I would get arthritis before I got them,,heehehehe!!!!:D

ps...I love the new paint scheme as well!!!

WOW!! I'm really excited about this! :D She's a real beautiful ship. And, I'm LOVIN' the black and yellow scheme! That is soooo cooool!! :D Thanks for the heads up Jim :)

Regards,
Todd

Just when I was thinking that I shouldn't buy anymore kits, you temp me with another great looking rocket......... I guess I'll have to stop AFTER this one:D

This rocket sure is sharp... I am just gritting my teeth, waiting for the order announcement....

Hey Jim,

How am I going to get rich and retire if you let my customers win stuff from you for nothing!!

Looks like another winner in the making to me!

Best of luck with the Tres....and you should have an email with my requirements by now!

All the best mate,

Andy
Deepsky Rocket supplies
www.modelrockets.co.uk

Originally posted by deepsky
How am I going to get rich and retire if you let my customers win stuff from you for nothing!!
LOL - This thing uses a pack of motors per launch, so you'll be making enough from me for them! :D

Best of luck with the Tres....and you should have an email with my requirements by now!

Woooo!

Originally posted by cydermaster
LOL - This thing uses a pack of motors per launch, so you'll be making enough from me for them! :D

I think between the Deuce's Wild! and the Tres Wild!, we might actually drive the cost of motors down! More mass production = cheaper motors! LOL! I think Estes and Quest are both sending a kickback to Jim for making these cluster mounted rockets. Just think, if Estes had the bright idea to bring back the clustered rocket to all of these BARs, the motor sales revenues would be through the roof. Hey, supermarkets put jelly on sale so that they can sell more bread, right?

So, is anyone here planning on painting the stock yellow and black scheme? I am looking forward to the challenge. Speaking of, will the black "3" be included as a decal with the kit? Sorry for all the tough questions Jim! (BTW Jim, I think you should still post a picture of the "classic" or "prototype" Tres color scheme for others to reproduce.)

Hey Jim,

Looks like another winner in the making to me!

All the best mate,

Andy
Deepsky Rocket supplies
www.modelrockets.co.uk

Andy,

yep I got your request. You should be all set... as for a winner in the UK? well, it's just the luck of the draw :)

The black "3" that you see on the artwork is provided in the form of a stencil that you can cut from the fin pattern sheet and use as a mask. We didn't do decals on this because we wanted to get it out before spring and at a reasonable price :D

OH! and we had the last launch of CMASS for the year and I got this pix of the Tres on the pad and launching

Great shot there Jim! Especially with that rocket arcing high overhead. Cool :)

Regards,
Todd

cool Jim. you gotta love a rocket that burns a whole pack of motors in a single flight;)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
cool Jim. you gotta love a rocket that burns a whole pack of motors in a single flight;)

yea, well i'll love it a whole lot more when it's buring a whole pack of FlisKits motors! :D

Fliskits Motors - how cool!?! :cool:

Not only would we get the motors we want (eg. A10-0Ts), but Jim would have the sense to not deal with Rip(off)Max, who import Brand E motors to the UK; so the price of motors, over here would (possibly) come down, and Andy at Deepsky stands a good chance of actually getting what he places an order for! ;)

Originally posted by jflis
yea, well i'll love it a whole lot more when it's buring a whole pack of FlisKits motors! :D

Jim, that's a can of worms that I don't think you wanted to open! LOL!

Glad to see the prototype fly again! I thought for one second it was lost for good in Florida.
icon14.gif

BTW, the stencil will do just fine. The design is simple enough for the scratchbuilder to create. There are plenty of options to create that #3 on the fins. Paint/stencil, monokote, Avery label, homemade waterslide, or permanent marker just to name a few. I will more than likely trace the shape onto peel 'n stick monokote or make a waterslide.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Jim, that's a can of worms that I don't think you wanted to open! LOL!

Glad to see the prototype fly again! I thought for one second it was lost for good in Florida.
icon14.gif

geeze, ya think!!! LOL ok, ok.... let's stop about the motors... we're years away from that!

man, a guy can't dream around here :p :p

yea, i'm glad I got that proto back too. It is going to get touched up then put under glass as I have a 2nd proto (used to configure the instructions) and will be painted stock cover colors (black/yellow)

jim

Its on my Christmas list, along with a Deuce! I gotta get a numbered one, gonna look every 5 or 10 minutes for the announcement...

The Tres has become one of our big sellers and we've heard nothing but good reports on it :)

I'm still trying to find time to finish up a second one i've started!

And hopefully, there will be a review (written by yours truly) showing up on EMRR soon.

Bottom line about this kit: IT ROCKS!

WW

Back