Fliskits Tres launch question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navajo

Reaction score
I am shortly about to place an order with Fliskits for a Tres kit. I dont know if Jim Flis has sent Tres kits to anyone else in Australia before, but I am hoping that I might be the first to launch it down under...

My question is...

Is there any special launch equipment needed to get the three engines going at once?

Would using the estes electron beam launch controller (you know the basic estes starter kit controller) result in either of the following:

a: No ignition of any engine due to not enough power from the controller :(
b: Ignite maybe one or two engines only, therefore running the risk of impaling someones dog into a tree as they are walking through the park :eek:

I could really use some help here. Or is it obvious that i need some sort of 12V system. If so where do I go from here?

Thanks

I am certain that an Electron Beam controller is not up to the task of lighting a three engine cluster. I don't use it for two engine clusters either. I would suggest a 12 volt system with a lawn tractor sized battery. They can be made very simply and inexpensively, or very complex with relay ignition. I use a simple Aerotech 12 volt controller that works well for me, but I could have built a better one cheaper. I would also suggest a clip whip.

Thanks for the tip Bob....I thought as much....what is a clip whip though?

thanks

:)

Navajo,
Go to Thrust aero.com you will find a picture of a whip clip there. Highly recomended for cluster ignition. Clean igniter clips and a good strong 12V battery.......Larry

The Estes Launch Controller bairly has enough power for one igniter....

I strongly recommend building a relay launcher system. Relay launchers put the battery near the launch pad, so less current is lost due to resistance of the wiring. Here is Carl Tulanko’s relay launcher design. For a battery, a 12vt lead acid tractror battery. They are cheap, and have more than enough power to fire off huge clusters.

Carl's Relay Launcher

Or, if you wanted something reliable that you could build in an afternoon, no frills, low cost and does the job, You could look at the simplistic plan we have on our web site at: https://fliskits.com/products/free_dl/simple_pad.pdf

This provides a simple plan for a launch controller that is made up of 2 battery clips (for that tractor battery or your car battery), about 30 feet of lamp cord, micro clips (for the ignitor) and a door bell button for a launch button.

simple but effective :)

You realize, we expect pictures of this "First Tres in Australia" launch! :D

This is one I made a while back for launching my Richter Recker and Deuce's Wild.
Larry

Simple clip whip recipe for the handy and cheap.
1) Go to radio shack and buy a pack of alligator jumpers like these . Mine had 2 jumpers of each color, red, black, green and yellow, around 18" long. (~$5)
2) Take each jumper and cut it in half. Strip about 1.5" off the cut end.
3) Twist all four (assuming you had two of each color to start with) of one color's stripped ends together and solder. Rinse and Repeat.
4) Test continuity between each clip and it's soldered tail.
5) To use: pick two colors and attach each of the launcher's clips to a soldered tail. Each ignitor gets one clip of each color.
6) For clusters > 4 clip two tails to each launcher clip, -or- clip one of the first colored clips to the tail of another color. Up to 8 engines for the first method, 7 for the second. (Chaining not recommend for high amperage ignitors...) Make sure you know which colors to pair.
-or- buy two packages or more and make larger bundles.

FWIW,
-bill

for my bigger bertha i just chopped the back off an old controller... this way you still have the safety devices...

I have an Aerotec Interlock Controller in its box right now. Just have to find some time to put it together. Doesn't seem too hard to do. I saw a nice rechargable 12 volt gel cell at radio shack that I will buy to power it up. Have to make a modification though, I have to add two alligator clips to the wires instead of soldering on the Aerotec clip which doesn't work with clusters. Or does a clip whip attach to the single aerotec clip? Where does a clip whip attach to a controller and can they be used on a normal two clip controller? I saw the plans for the other method of launching the Tres by using some wires. This seems easy enough, but that means even more connections that can go wrong and prevent a launch. And the Tres or a Richter Recker is not the rocket you want a misfire with, 3 engines especially the D engines don't come that cheap $10 in some places, the Tres is around $4.99 to launch, still you dont want to lose D engines to a misfire.

Gladiator,
When I made my AT controller, I simply attached alligator clips to the wires. I clip them on the AT clip when I need to, and use them for Estes type ignitors without the AT clip. They can also be used to attach a clip whip.

Originally posted by jflis
You realize, we expect pictures of this "First Tres in Australia" launch! :D

Most patriotic rocketeers in the US fly the nation's flag at every launch. To make the picture more authentic and unique, I think it would be *very* cool to see an Aussie flag in the same picture as the Tres launch. :)

Originally posted by Navajo
Thanks for the tip Bob....I thought as much....what is a clip whip though?

thanks

If you need a clip whip, we have you covered.
Clip%20Whips%202_3_4.JPG

John

Thanks to everyone who has replied...I feel a lot wiser and much more confident now because of all your replies.

Here in Australia I have to rely on help from kind people like yourselves in this great forum because there are no clubs or groups that meet anywhere in Australia to the best of my knowledge.

In fact the only kits that you can purchase here are Estes and Quest. Biggest engines stocked are Estes "E"

That's OK......and that is why I have just placed an order online for 4 new Fliskits....cant wait

Once again thank you to everyone who has replied.

I have also ordered a couple of clip whips from John at Thrust Aero

Sorry it was only a small order John.....as I said I will definitely buy more chutes from you once I see how the Mylar 18" goes

Guys,

Have no fear...not only will the Aussie flag be flying, but I also have a very special aussie paint scheme in mind too.....

you will just have to wait for the pics....I know I can't wait for the kits:D

Blackbird and I will do a dual launch of our Tres's down under.

With those clusters it should be "THUNDER DOWN UNDER"..!

Who knows.....maybe we could start an international Tour de Tres!;)

Back