FlisKits Tres fins question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illini

Reaction score
Maybe this has been discussed and I just can't find it. If so, please point me in the right direction and I'll shut up.

Here's the deal. The Tres instructions call for 1/8" balsa for the upper section fins. The fin pattern sheet says 3/32" balsa for those fins. The kit included 1/16" balsa for the upper fins, and that is what is on the parts list. Besides these conflicts, it seems to me that 1/16" is probably a bit too flimsy for the upper section fins. I'm thinking 3/32" would be better. Anyone had any problems with 1/16" balsa for the upper fins?

illini, I figure there are three explanations. Either the instructions have a typo (which Jim is notorious for :D ), the 1/16" is what is called for on the upper section of the rocket, or an incorrect sheet of balsa was packaged in there. In terms of being too flimsy, it may be so if it were the main fins of the rocket, but in terms of design I think these will suffice.

I guess we'll wait on the engineer and see what he has to say. :D

First, in all fairness, the instructions were proof read by me, so ya can't blame Jim on that one for typo's.

Next, the fin material for the upper section is 1/16" balsa and it is plenty strong for this rocket. You would be surprised how strong that stuff gets after you fill it, then prime and paint. Most of the stress on landing is going to be on the nosecone and lower MMT, so this should not be an issue. Use the 1/16". :)

FYI, the Overdrive has 1/16" balsa mains and mine has flown over 30 times, without a scratch.

Carl

Thanks, folks. Looks like 1/16" was both intended and sufficient. I'll go with that and blame y'all when it fails! ;)

Howsabout the nose cone? Obviously gets kinda weak with that long skinny point. I was going to harden that with thin CA. Sound good enough or do you have a better idea?

I have been coating my balsa NCs with finishing epoxy. Two coats make a smooth and hard cone. Certain people around here will gather pitchforks, torches and gallon jugs of white glue at the mention of "epoxy" but in this case I think it does a nice job.

Carl, thanx for piping up :D (and thanx for helping me proof this stuff!)

There *is* a descrepency. One place says 1/16" and another says 3/32"

A lot of kits went out with 1/16" and that's what I used on one of my 2 prototypes. I have a second proto that I built with 3/32" so that I could see how it looked/felt.

Also a few folks have commented back to us about the descrepency and felt the 3/32" would be better.

As a result of that, we are changing over the the 3/32" BUT the 1/16" will work fine. I've flown mine probably 25 times now without a hitch.

Sorry I didn't get to this thread earlier, Kathy and I have been kitting since the sun came up :) (yesterday too!)

jim

Thanks, Jim et al. Jim, just so you catch *all* the discrepancies, please note that the instructions call for 1/8" balsa for the upper fins. This is in addition to the 2 other places that mention balsa thickness for the upper fins: fin template (3/32" balsa) and parts list (1/16" balsa).

I've decided to go with 3/32" balsa. Two reasons for this: 1) It will put my mind at ease. 2) To maintain similarity of appearance with my Tres look-alike (I used 3/32" balsa on the upper stage of my Faux Tres).

Thank you for this input. We just kitted up another hunderd of these models but have exahusted our last run of documentation. I will be ordering new documentation this coming week and can make the corrections to this.

timing is everything :)

It's contructive input from our customers, like this, that help us get better and better.

Howsabout the nose cone? Obviously gets kinda weak with that long skinny point. I was going to harden that with thin CA. Sound good enough or do you have a better idea?

thin CA works great on the nose cone. also on the Nomad nose cone, if you build one of those :)

Originally posted by cls
thin CA works great on the nose cone. also on the Nomad nose cone, if you build one of those :)

Thanks. I did use thin CA on my Nomad nose with good results. Only concern on the Tres was that the nose is hitting with the additional weight of an 18" BT-55 and balsa transition, but I suspect you're right that thin CA will work there also.

Both of my Tres kits came with a "pre-broken" nose tip!

One is 1/4" shorter the other is 1/2" shorter now.

Free no charge!

sandman

Sand, send me an email and we'll get that straighten away toot-sweet :)

Sorry they came in broken. We do our best to package them carefully.

jim

Back