FlisKits Stingray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone else post a review of this one, so here is mine.

This rocket is a pretty sweet, if challenging, fantasy-type sport rocket. Despite some minor problems with parts and instruction interpretation, this kit was a real joy to build. Thanks to Jim's liberal use of the wrap, finishing to a good quality level is relatively easy to do, while an excellent finish still offers a significant challenge.

I wholeheartedly recommend this kit for anyone who is experienced and enjoys something out of the ordinary.

Completed, with NSL wraps:

An alternative wrap (destined for Ben's Stingray):

A complete EMRR review has been submitted. Look for it soon.

Thank you for the quick review and the submission to EMRR :) I was wondering if anyone was going to review this kit (and I don't like to ask for reviews :) )

I think I understand about some step interpretation. There are some tricky spots, but I hope I made them all clear with the figures.

looks great. You will *love* the sight of this model in the air :)

jim

Mine's about done also (just gotta paint the nose cone and build the plasma guns), and it's lookin' good so far!

WW

I too posted a review for EMRR for this outstanding kit. I had a great time building my Stingray with the Maelstrom wraps.

Now, to work on my other Stingray with the NSL 2004 wraps. Keep those great kits coming Jim. I pre-ordered the Freedom Forge, I feel another review coming. :)

Thank you Fliskits for keeping this hobby interesting!

Joe

Thank YOU for giving me reason to *keep* it interesting. You and all of our customers are what keep us going and keep us strong and we're getting stronger by the day! :)

oh, and all of the backorder Freedom Forge Missiles shipped today, you'll be getting a notification shortly :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Thank you for the quick review and the submission to EMRR :) I was wondering if anyone was going to review this kit (and I don't like to ask for reviews :) )

I think I understand about some step interpretation. There are some tricky spots, but I hope I made them all clear with the figures.

looks great. You will *love* the sight of this model in the air :)

jim

Oh, it's flown already, and you are right; it is pretty. That was what was holding up the review for EMRR.

Something I didn't put in the review that you might want to consider. On the NSL body wrap, you use white boxes to designate where fins and guns attached at. I would suggest that in the future you use some very fine crosshair-type markings for that type of thing. If you look at my gun mounts, you can clearly see the white box and black outline since there is space between the supports.

Originally posted by prowlerguy
Oh, it's flown already, and you are right; it is pretty. That was what was holding up the review for EMRR.

Something I didn't put in the review that you might want to consider. On the NSL body wrap, you use white boxes to designate where fins and guns attached at. I would suggest that in the future you use some very fine crosshair-type markings for that type of thing. If you look at my gun mounts, you can clearly see the white box and black outline since there is space between the supports.

oohhh, good point, thanx!

Originally posted by prowlerguy

Actually, on mine, I was debating whether or not to even put the gun mounts on, since it IS a "Luxury" passenger transport. In fact, if you look at the image on the Fliskits website of the NSL version, the guns aren't included! (See attached image)

Maybe instead of some fine-line crosshairs, a pair of colored boxes that look like they would belong on the side of the spacecraft (access panels or something) that a builder could opt to use as guides for placing the gun mounts.

WW

I must admit that I was not too excited over the NSL 2004 wraps for the StingRay when I first saw them. This rocket just begs to be dressed in black. But, after seeing ProwlerGuy's finished model, it actually looks pretty cool in white and I must now build my second StingRay with the "NSL look".

Attached is my first StingRay with the Maelstrom Wrap. This is a great kit, I highly recommend it!

Joe

great job on the build and i love the pix. You are really going to like the look of this kit in the air. It has a wonderful profile against the blue sky :)

It does indeed look great in the air! Another nice feature is that in case someone is in a hurry to fly the Stingray and perhaps forgets to attach the nose cone to the shock cord, the body of the rocket will go into a flat spin and land gently using aerobrake recovery.

Or, so I have heard... :)

Okay, I'm finally getting around to finishing my NSL version of the Stingray, and I'm wondering:

Did any of you guys worry about painting the launch lug prior to attachment, like you did with the guns/nosecone? I know that the lug won't show up much against the gray of the BT, but what about those who did the Maelstrom version?

WW

My Stingray is just about finished...I'm working on an 'alternative' front end, maybe the odd weapon but more of a spy plane look...pics to follow:)

Here's one possible way...not too sure about the canopy:( maybe needs to be a bit more squat, but lots of shapes to try (Apogee designer special pack) maybe even add a dummy engine nozzle. Hopefully there is a picture here

Pete

Originally posted by starbug
Here's one possible way
Woa....thats a VERY different bird to the one you showed me last weekend. Amazing what a different nosecone, and a few pieces of paper can do. :D

IMHO: I'm not so sure about the front end - looks too 'bulky', although that maybe down to the angle the photo was taken. The canopy idea is cool though. :cool:

Figured I would just add it here rather than begin a new thread...Here's my first skill level 3 build...the Fliskits Stingray (#94) in a striking pose. Great fun to build and a little challenge but I'm pleased with the results. Two words...bulkheads and body shroud. Built stock out of the bag. Tube, fins and guns painted flat black, body and nose painted testors blue saphire metal flake. Mrs. planet andy then provided the acrylic paint detail and a few sparkles. In the photo the sparkles that are visible appear to be dimples but they aren't. Lastly acrylic gloss coated. Jim I'm sure you've probably answered this elsewhere but... would #94 be the 94th one bagged or does the number refer to the 94th run of 10 kits or 100 kits or something like that?
Hopefully will get this in the air within the month.

Welcome to the working week all!:eek:
Andy
pasr2.jpg

Man, that looks good.
Really nice paint job.
Awesome.

Tim

Andy,

Incredible! I just love it and can't wait to see her fly!

The #94 means that she was the 94th one ever kitted. We only number the first 100 kits to provide something special to those who purchase them. After that we stop numbering them.

As an FYI, the kit that bears the #1 gets auctioned off and the proceeds are shared between the NAR and a scholarship program that FlisKits is sponsoring. Kit #2 is mine and Kit #3 is Brian's (my partner). In the case of the Alien8 kit, Kit #4 went to Shrox.

jim

Thank you Tim
Thank you Jim,

Jim,

So that is #94 then....that's flistoric. makes me a little nervous. The bulkhead and motor mount are also flat black BTW. Yes I had seen your auctions of the #1 kits. that is a real nice thing. In a strange or maybe not so strange coincidence my Farscape is #49! Elana is tickled that the finish has been met with approval. Thanks again!

Andy

pasr1.jpg

Well, just wait till you see her in the air!

The Stingray is one of those rockets that (for me) **really** captures the imagination while she is flying. You launch one rocket after another and at 50-100MPH they all look pretty much alike... then you launch something like the Stingray and you get that little "wow" factor (kinda like launching the Mars Lander) It's just a different shape to see silloeted against the sky.

The Drake, Praetor and FarScape are similarly cool looking in the air.

jim

Well, just wait till you see her in the air!

jim

Well, I played hooky today with thoughts of skiing but at 7AM it was no degrees and coffee and Ringo the cat was so much warmer. By 11:00 I decided to launch my Stingray cause the air was nice and calm and it was about 10 degrees. First flight on an A83 less than 100 feet it seems. Nice straight boost, The parachute had just been packed in a warm house 10 minutes before but I guess the cold was just too cold for it to open(?). The video of flight 1 is kind of funny because the tumbling bird tumbled not 5 feet in front of the camera before a soft snowy landing. No damage so I stuffed her with a B64. That's where I got to witness the beauteous profile to about 200 feet. Seemed to tumble a bit after burn out before ejection, looks spectacular though and is real easy to see her shape at that height. Chute failed again and also got a little tangled on the gun points. Again tumbled down with no damage and am really happy with the flights. Not one to push my luck I'll wait til better parachute weather for the Stingray's next flights. Stills are from flight#2. Thar she goes clearing the rod...and here she comes a tumblin'
cheers,

Andy

srfl2.jpg

cool, COOL, KEWL! :D
Man I just love this little rocket :)
thanx for the pix

Thank you Jim, It is every bit as spectacular as you describe. A pleasure to build and to fly. When I first began prepping indoors it was a perfectly blue sky but by the time I got out it was clouded over...oh well.

A T

Back