Fliskits STING RAY...or....Who ate ALL the fries!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Flistkits STING RAY: Having just finished assembling the body wrap on my NEAT sting ray, my son comes in and picks up the body wrap and asks, "Who ate ALL the fries???" I look at him in a state of bewilderment!!!:eek: :confused:

Later we went to Burger King....NOW I know what he meant!!! Jim, I hope you can take advantage of this marketing opportunity!!!;) ;) I love the kit...will show more pics when finished.:)

LOL man, I was scratching my head wonderin WHERE on earth you were going with this line... LOL

now, THAT is great, really it is ... :p :p

great job on the Stingray, by the way. We've not gotten much feedback to date.

Remember that Bill Cosby show called "Kids say the darndest Things" or something like that? They always see things from a different angle than we do, literally and figuratively. You gotta love 'em for that:)

Looking good, as we would expect from you Mr. Blurzz.

Fries, huh? That's pretty good. :D

Just got my Stingray the other day from Jonrocket.com
Production #66 and it came with the NSL artwork, which to me looks more like a pack of cigarettes. Don't know why though, since I don't smoke. I guess I've seen too many Marlboro ads.

Would love to give you some feedback Jim, but I'm not near as fast a builder as Mr. Blurzz here. (Well, I may be a fast builder, but not a fast painter/finisher.) I'll see what I can do though.
I didn't get the maelstrom wraps, and probably won't use the NSL ones, so who knows what mine will look like.

I'll have to see if I can get a spiderman fry box. :D

Tim

Just wanted to open this back up to see if anyone else has completed a Stingray. I am working on one now, I'll post up pictures when I finish(don't hold your breath though, I dont have a lot of free time so I'm one of those slow builders).

Mine (#004) is still on the paint stand. Rocket construction was put on hiatus in my home by the Missus for a little while, but there are several waiting to be "finished". Stingray (with NSL wraps applied) is at the head of the line, followed by a Squirrel Works Red Baron, and an Estes SR-71.

WW

Well, I cut all my fins out, and then put it aside to work on my Descon project. After finishing the Descon rocket, I built a Rhino just do something quick and easy. Then I started a Semroc SLS Sky Hook, which is about finished, so I'll get back to the Stingray soon.

I have A.D.D. I can't seem to work on just one at a time. :)

Tim

I have started my Stingray, all the balsa is prepped and fins ready for cutting out...but I need to be in the right mood and enjoy the build on this one. It was bought at the very wet International Rocket Week and as is traditional at this event when it rains you buy something to build! I somehow also managed to buy a USS Grissom, a Long Overdue ( for my wife) a Snarky, a Sunward Liberator and a couple of semroc kits...It rained a lot and we had well stocked vendors!:)

It is nice to see our kits appearing at these events :)

You have some fine kits there. the USS Grissom and the Long OverDue are both great builder kits and fly great too :) (but, then, i'm a bit biased... :p )

Lol - I thought you'd end up getting the Grissom, Starbug; you must have mentioned it at least once everytime you were disscussing what kits to get at Pete's 'shop'.

I haven't started on my Stingray yet - I think it may end up beeing next, after the Dynastar Orion.

One thing I noticed in both 'shops' at IRW (Deepsky & Pete's), was that Fliskits, Dynastar and Semroc got considerably more attention & shelf space than Estes or Quest. Infact, the brand E & Q kits were rather 'tucked away' in Pete's.

Its good to see Fliskits at Pete's Rockets! :D

Oh ... and although there wasn't much flying at IRW, Fliskits made up a fair proportion of the kits flown, and some of the designs SERIOUSLY impressed the IRW organisor who'd never heard of Fliskits!!! (He isn't online)

I'll still buy the odd Estes or Quest kit, but with the Fliskits stuff now being available it's like getting back into the hobby all over again! I used to get really excited 20-25 years ago when opening an Estes bag and seeing all the bits of balsa and tubes etc., but I don't get that buzz anymore with Estes or Quest. However......when it comes to Fliskits/Semroc and the like, I'm transported back to the halcyon days of model rocketry!

I see lots of people getting into this hobby who fly a few models and within 6 months they want to do their level 1. Which is OK to an extent, but they're missing out on so much FUN! :D

(starbug now steps down from his soapbox, finishes applying decals to "Goony-style" Evel Knievel SkyCycle.....oh yes.....pictures soon!)

Originally posted by starbug

(starbug now steps down from his soapbox, finishes applying decals to "Goony-style" Evel Knievel SkyCycle.....oh yes.....pictures soon!)

So where are the pictures? ;)

I see lots of people getting into this hobby who fly a few models and within 6 months they want to do their level 1. Which is OK to an extent, but they're missing out on so much FUN! :D

Around here (Southern California), getting your L1 opens up a larger range of opportunities for people, especially those who want to scratch build from non-mainstream parts and get creative. For example, the guy who flew a birdhouse rocket, or folks who want to experiment with scratchbuilt fiberglass models built around mailing tubes. Adding those couple extra propulsion options really opens things up!

But I see your point. I've been in this for about a year now, and I, too, wanted my L1/L2 cert fairly quickly, but haven't attained it. There are indeed quite a few kits that can be flown on the lower power engines, and there's a lot of scratchbuilding I can do also. I just have to keep my weights down so the smaller powerplants can get them aloft and stable!

WW

Plus HPR costs so much ... a normal LPR kit costs about £10-20, whereas a HPR kit could end up putting you back £150+! :eek:

Think about it - thats about 12 LPR kits to 1 HPR!

There are many more interesting kits nowadays (Fliskits et al) available for LPR. Higher power kits tend to be very much 3/4NC jobs. The 'interesing' HPR designs (Picnic Tables, Porta-loos, Upscale Deuces, Thunderbird 3s, etc) tend to be scratch built

All this said, I'm expecting to sort my explosives paperwork out over the winter, and fly some AP next year, with a view to taking my Lvl1 at IRW'05. I don't think I'll do much HPR, though; mostly cos of cost and availabilty of the motors and the sites to fly them, over here; but also cos theres too much fun to be had with BP, balsa and white/yellow glue. :D

BTW: Starbug - pics, or we send 'the boys' round! ;)

Latest posts

Back