fliskits shipping??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by lipp
I gyess i'm to new at this, everything i get i build that day. don't get them painted right away, but they get built.

Ok, I just had an evil snicker emit over here after reading this comment. I only say this because I said THE EXACT SAME THING about 2 years ago! I look through some of my old build pictures and I see how little I had back then. *Maybe* one work table and a Rubbermaid 3 drawer deal with wheels on the bottom. I have since filled one whole closet, a 5 shelving system, 3 Rubbermaid rolling drawers, and TWO tables! lipp, It'll catch up with you eventually. Just give it some time. ;)

...and then there's fast shipping by FlisKits. It leaves you *no* time to finish anything else! (Man, I need to seek R.A. - Rocketeer's Anonymous!)

Originally posted by eugenefl
Ok, I just had an evil snicker emit over here after reading this comment. I only say this because I said THE EXACT SAME THING about 2 years ago! ........ It'll catch up with you eventually. Just give it some time. ;)

Spoken like a true rocketeer!!

I was able to keep up with my workload for about 7 months....... then I had a line of about 8 or 9 rockets to build..... *looking at current pile of unbuilts* my goodness, I AM sick! :kill:

I just got 3 50% off coupons for michael's, and my wife is trying to tell me that I have to wait until this weekend to use them....YEAH RIGHT!!!!! I bet I use them tomarow evening. then she says i should use them all to buy motors? I told her that then i would have nothing to build this week until Duece gets here. She says "build one of your models". so I said if I could fit it on the launch pad and fly it then i'll build it, but none of those cars will fly. so i'm on a mission for michael's tomarow..

I just got 3 50% off coupons for michael's, and my wife is trying to tell me that I have to wait until this weekend to use them....YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Don't get too excited about open defiance towards the wife too soon! Wait until "the disease" has gotten into full swing! Then you'll be viewed as being merely "crazy"! ;)

As i was saying last night... I have been to michael's tonight and now have Estes Gimini DC, and Storm Chaser. As an added bonus my wife got me a pack of D12's and C6-7's.... I pulled the old Jedi mind trick on her...Me "we need motors",,,, " her "we need motors".... works every time.:D :D :D

Make sure you read the EMRR reviews for the Gemini DC BEFORE you build it. It saved me a lot of problems on the build by giving some details into how to strengthen the side pods to keep them from burning through.

WW

yeah i got Dueces Wild today. it's bout half done....i love this kit.........

well i'm sorry but i was so fired up about getting this kit, i forgot to take pics of the build. these pics are waiting for paint.........

sheesh! That rocket went from and inventory of parts to a bag of parts in a kit to a packaged shipped to a customer to a flyable rocket in record time!

very kewl :)

How was the build experience?

I have read a reveiw where the person said that the engine mount was immpossible to do by the instructions, well i don't know why someone would say that. the comstruction was a little tougher than most others that i have done, with the exception of Estes Renagade, but it wasn't bad. I found that cutting the fins out instead of die cut fins added the extra time to building the kit that i am talking about.this is my first kit with a balsa nosecone. the only other time consuming thing is cutting the slots on the BT for the engines was a little time consuming(to be sure and get them right). All together this is a fairly simple kit to build. in my opinionafter building a couple of these kits it would become more easier to build. the only thing i have to say in any way off beat about this kit is the fin stock is a bit soft to my liking. i'm afraid that if i launch it (wich being the kind of person i am it will happen just cause) without trying to strengthin the fins that i could be in for a broken fin... I guess we'll find out.. This will be my first cluster lauch, so i'm hoping for the best.... I think that all thing put together makes this kit the BEST kit i've put together this far in my short career.... thanks for the wonderful kit!! And as i said before FLIS KITS KICKS!!!!!!!

By the way i did have to waite such a long time for the kit that i about had it built before it got here...:D :D :D HA HA HA !!! I mean i was having dreams at night and day dreams.. I have it bad man give me more, give me more...... I think i might need help whats it called RAA... Rocket Aholics Anonymiss. Theres 12 steps, hey like an instruction sheet!!!! OOHH!! Lord that won't help!!:kill:

lipp,
There is no help for your condition:D I think some of the first kits(Deuce's Wild) the engine mount was more difficult. The balsa fins can be strengthened with finishing epoxy. I've done this on the last few rockets and like it so far. If you like the DW cluster try the tres;)

Larry

Oh, cutting out the fins, motor mount openings, and things like that are good skills to learn. This was one thing that drew me to Jim's kits. It reminded me of how all my early kits were built. I got tired of all the plastic predone stuff. It has its place, but if you really want to build, this is the way to go.:)

lipp, the early Deuce's Wild! kits were a bit tougher...

...cuz you had to cut out your own rings... :D

...cuz you had to cut out your own rings... :D

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this? I just finished my 1.75x Freedom Forge Missile upscale, and all the rings were custom cut. Laser print a pattern, spray glue it to sheet balsa (both sides covered, of course), and cut them out on the scroll saw.

Actually, it turns out the xacto knife is the LEAST used tool for cutting balsa for me. I prefer either a dozuki (Japanese saw) or the scroll saw (Dewalt) as both cross cut WAY better than the xacto. And, once you get a little scroll saw practice, following a precision pattern like CRs isn't so hard.

I have read a reveiw where the person said that the engine mount was immpossible to do by the instructions, well i don't know why someone would say that....

I'm the one that wrote that review :). It is on EMRR . I was probabily the first person to build the kit, since I bought it a couple days before Fliskits officially opened. With the original kit, you had to cut the rings out of cardboard. I also found then steps to assemble the mounts awkward. So I drew up an alternate assembly step and e-mailed it to Jim.

In January, this was posted on EMRR:

1/03 - "UPDATE from FLisKits: For the record, after talking with other folks and reviewing the kit, parts and instructions, FlisKits decided that Doug was right on the money in regard to the motor mount assembly on the Deuce's Wild. Therefore, we have created a set of laser-cut rings and changed the assembly instructions to match what Doug came up with. These new rings, with modified instructions are already shipping with new orders. Additionally, FlisKits has contacted all customers who have purchased but not yet built their Deuce's Wild! kit and have shipped them a set of rings and instructions for use. We (FlisKits) have a very good product set, but not a "perfect" product set. Your help, feedback and suggestions go a long way toward helping us reach perfection. You talk, we listen and everybody benefits! Thank you!" (J.F.)

He even sent me a sample ring set and instructions since all of my DW's were already built.

I am always happy helping rocket companies out :).

thats great i'd like to help rocket companies also. I didn't mean anything harsh from my post i know there are differant deals with the kits as they get older... sorry if i offended you...

thats great i'd like to help rocket companies also. I didn't mean anything harsh from my post i know there are differant deals with the kits as they get older... sorry if i offended you...

Don't worry about it :). You did not offend me. I was just sharing a great story about the kit to answer your question :)

Originally posted by DJ Delorie
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with this?

nope :) I've been scratchbuilding since the early 70's...

You've seen some of my designs (Deuce, USS Grissom, etc)... been cutting rings, body tubes and fins since I could hold a knife.

What I *ought* to do is come up with a **real** builders kit... :D
...a bag of pulp and a package of Balsa tree seeds. LOL

Seriously though, no I have never had a problem cutting rings. I've cut hundreds of Deuce rings, over a dozen Tres rings (but that one is easy) and about 6 sets of ACME rings (give you nightmares...) not to mention thousands of others. I find some materials I prefer because they're easier to cut. Sharp tools are a must :)

Originally posted by jflis

What I *ought* to do is come up with a **real** builders kit... :D
...a bag of pulp and a package of Balsa tree seeds. LOL

That's the ticket!

Back