FlisKits: Payloaders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As came up in a LPR thread, FlisKits is working on a pair of payload kits for release in mid-late december. We would like to have them in time for the holidays, but at this point, I can't promise *any*thing, not even the NARAM photo album (that one was for you Scott... :p )

We haven't named them yet, but here they are:

Payloader #1: Three 18mm cluster, standing 23.2" tall, 5" clear payload section that is based on our (soon to be announced) CPT-63 tube that is 1.812" OD. The three motor tubes are housed inside a BT-60 with an adapter *up* to the payload tube.

Payloader #2: Three 24mm cluster, standing 42.125" tall, 10" clear CPT-63 payload tube. The three motor tubes are housed inside a BT-70 with an adapter *down* to the payload tube.

The attached image shows them both, to scale, side by side, profile and end view.

The biggest contraint at this point is time to get the documentation in place as I finish up the Alien8 and several accessory parts.

jim

Jim,
Any chance the 18mm will be ready before Christmas? My son would love it.

Our original goal was to have them both ready for thanksgiving weekend, but I really can't see that happening...

I hope to start the documentation next week and will have to see how that goes. We also have to look at the expense of releasing two models at the same time ($$$)

And, yes, the 24mm will be *E* enabled. Basically, you will have the choice of how to install the engine block. It will be flight worthy with 3 E9 motors.

jim

Originally posted by jflis

And, yes, the 24mm will be *E* enabled. Basically, you will have the choice of how to install the engine block. It will be flight worthy with 3 E9 motors.

jim [/B]

If you make it E enabled to begin with, you can then use spacers to make it D powered. Its easier to down size than to go the other way. I did this on my RR. Made the motor mount E with the E engine clips then flew it first on three Ds using the spacers above the D motors.......Larry

hey jim, got any lying around? i'd love a 24mm to keep me busy from now until the last CMASS launch, where i'd blast it on 3 E's. muhahahaha.....sorry, i really cannot wait for this...any price predictions yet jim? and if you will have some for the last CMASS launch? i know its in november...

gawd, im drooling over that 24mm cluster.

Originally posted by Larry
If you make it E enabled to begin with, you can then use spacers to make it D powered. Its easier to down size than to go the other way. I did this on my RR. Made the motor mount E with the E engine clips then flew it first on three Ds using the spacers above the D motors.......Larry

Actually the RR is so overstable that you can build it stock & leave the Estes E motors hanging out the back (although wrapping them together with masking tape is still a good idea!) with the D sized motor clips...

But that is the exception; not the rule when using longer motors.

Excelent!

I'll have to get my 'astronaut' (An Empire Strikes Back issue Darth Vader figure) ready for some high altitude training! ;)

Hey Jim how will the CG change with a glow stick in it on the 3 24mm?

Originally posted by r1dermon
hey jim, got any lying around? i'd love a 24mm to keep me busy from now until the last CMASS launch, where i'd blast it on 3 E's. muhahahaha.....sorry, i really cannot wait for this...any price predictions yet jim? and if you will have some for the last CMASS launch? i know its in november...

gawd, im drooling over that 24mm cluster.

Yep, i have proto's of both built. I will try to remember to bring them and pop'em off

jim

Any payload, regardless of mass, will only serve to move the CG forward, making the model *more* stable. Heck, put a *cluster* of glow sticks in the thing! :D

Jim,

These two payload kits should be a great addition to your growing product line. Do you have any time table on when the launcher and launch pad will be available? It will be really cool to be able to buy a FlisKits starter set.

Best regards,
Brian

Yep...I think I'll take one of each. On the small fields the 3x24 payloader should do well on 3 C11s.

These are fantastic looking birds Jim. Although not earth-shattering in uniqueness for the design, they are certainly great looking. The transitions add a lot to the overall look.

Glad to see FlisKits expanding their line again!

Originally posted by lalligood
Actually the RR is so overstable that you can build it stock & leave the Estes E motors hanging out the back (although wrapping them together with masking tape is still a good idea!) with the D sized motor clips...

But that is the exception; not the rule when using longer motors.

lalligood,
Yes, you are right about the RR, but I like the neatness of the E engine hooks instead of taping them.
Jim, I like the looks of these two, and the glow stick thing sounds like it would make these great for night launches.:D

Larry

AWESOME birds Jim. The 24mm Cluster really has my attention. :) Reminds me of something from LOC and USR.

Originally posted by eugenefl

These are fantastic looking birds Jim. Although not earth-shattering in uniqueness for the design, they are certainly great looking. The transitions add a lot to the overall look.

You bring out a good point here. An important point. These two models are *not* "earth-shattering", and that's a good thing. Designing kits can be as much an art as it is marketing and rocket science. Not every kit is a "Deuce's Wild!", or a "Mars Lander". Yet, when you ask folks about their favorite rocket (especially from when they were young for those BARs), what do you hear *mostly*?

Scout
Alpha
Big Bertha
Sky Hook

not "earth-shattering" in any concept of the word. BUT, they were impressionable.

I've been thrilled with some of the, shall we say, "earth-warmly-vibrating" designs that FlisKits has been able to produce. Kits such as the Deuce, Grissom, ACME, FarScape and others. but there are many other designs that we have under our belt that are *good* designs and deserve to see the light of day. And they will. Not so earth-shattering, but they will have strong appeal with many folks. I look forward to the day, decades from now, when someone recalls the Rhino or Triskelion or Corona as their favorite kit when they were a kid :)

*that* will be special. And so will these kits. I am also very tickled with the response we have received about these two new offerings. I was a little leary about coming out with 2 cluster models, added to the 3 that we already carry, but response has been incredible.

Estes must *love* us... A pack of motors for every flight! LOL

Heck, Jim, you should getting a kickback from Estes, what with all the clusters you.... Hey! Wait a minute! Do I sense a conspiracy here? :p

I look forward to the day, decades from now, when someone recalls the Rhino or Triskelion or Corona as their favorite kit when they were a kid :)

While I have only had it only a mere year (almost to the day since I bought it from Jim in person at Bunnell Blast 2003) & have said this in other threads, the FlisKits Praetor is arguably the most graceful and consistent LPR flyer in my fleet, not to mention completely understated! It doesn't have a knock-your-socks-off design (like the aforementioned DW!), but there's no mistaking what it is as soon as you see its profile. What adds charm to it IMHO is that with those w-i-d-e and thin fins, it would be difficult to upscale beyond perhaps a 24mm version--if at all--unless I wanted the hassle & expense of say, carbon fiber fins... Anyone who has a Praetor knows *exactly* what I mean :D :D

yea, I **love** the Praetor

**and**, it's appropriate because, technically, it's our first payloader :)

Jim, you need to hire an engineer and a tech writer so you can just get all those designs out of your head and they can worry about getting them produced. ;)

Originally posted by lalligood
While I have only had it only a mere year (almost to the day since I bought it from Jim in person at Bunnell Blast 2003) & have said this in other threads, the FlisKits Praetor is arguably the most graceful and consistent LPR flyer in my fleet, not to mention completely understated! It doesn't have a knock-your-socks-off design (like the aforementioned DW!), but there's no mistaking what it is as soon as you see its profile. What adds charm to it IMHO is that with those w-i-d-e and thin fins, it would be difficult to upscale beyond perhaps a 24mm version--if at all--unless I wanted the hassle & expense of say, carbon fiber fins... Anyone who has a Praetor knows *exactly* what I mean :D :D

In my small fleet of rockets (12 -15 birds), the Praetor is definitely my favorite for all of the reasons you listed above (and more).

Originally posted by Adam Selene
Jim, you need to hire an engineer and a tech writer so you can just get all those designs out of your head and they can worry about getting them produced. ;)

yea, tell me about it... man, if youse guys could only see my note/design books of what I have in the wings... :D :D

I have kit designs out to about 2008 at about 8 a year... ...at *least*...

Back