Quantcast

FlisKits: Payloaders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
As came up in a LPR thread, FlisKits is working on a pair of payload kits for release in mid-late december. We would like to have them in time for the holidays, but at this point, I can't promise *any*thing, not even the NARAM photo album (that one was for you Scott... :p )

We haven't named them yet, but here they are:

Payloader #1: Three 18mm cluster, standing 23.2" tall, 5" clear payload section that is based on our (soon to be announced) CPT-63 tube that is 1.812" OD. The three motor tubes are housed inside a BT-60 with an adapter *up* to the payload tube.

Payloader #2: Three 24mm cluster, standing 42.125" tall, 10" clear CPT-63 payload tube. The three motor tubes are housed inside a BT-70 with an adapter *down* to the payload tube.

The attached image shows them both, to scale, side by side, profile and end view.

The biggest contraint at this point is time to get the documentation in place as I finish up the Alien8 and several accessory parts.

jim
 

rbeckey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
1
Jim,
Any chance the 18mm will be ready before Christmas? My son would love it.
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
Our original goal was to have them both ready for thanksgiving weekend, but I really can't see that happening...

I hope to start the documentation next week and will have to see how that goes. We also have to look at the expense of releasing two models at the same time ($$$)

And, yes, the 24mm will be *E* enabled. Basically, you will have the choice of how to install the engine block. It will be flight worthy with 3 E9 motors.

jim
 

Larry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by jflis

And, yes, the 24mm will be *E* enabled. Basically, you will have the choice of how to install the engine block. It will be flight worthy with 3 E9 motors.

jim [/B]

If you make it E enabled to begin with, you can then use spacers to make it D powered. Its easier to down size than to go the other way. I did this on my RR. Made the motor mount E with the E engine clips then flew it first on three Ds using the spacers above the D motors.......Larry
 

r1dermon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
2,297
Reaction score
2
hey jim, got any lying around? i'd love a 24mm to keep me busy from now until the last CMASS launch, where i'd blast it on 3 E's. muhahahaha.....sorry, i really cannot wait for this...any price predictions yet jim? and if you will have some for the last CMASS launch? i know its in november...

gawd, im drooling over that 24mm cluster.
 

lalligood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Larry
If you make it E enabled to begin with, you can then use spacers to make it D powered. Its easier to down size than to go the other way. I did this on my RR. Made the motor mount E with the E engine clips then flew it first on three Ds using the spacers above the D motors.......Larry
Actually the RR is so overstable that you can build it stock & leave the Estes E motors hanging out the back (although wrapping them together with masking tape is still a good idea!) with the D sized motor clips...

But that is the exception; not the rule when using longer motors.
 

cydermaster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
2,604
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by jflis
And, yes, the 24mm will be *E* enabled. Basically, you will have the choice of how to install the engine block. It will be flight worthy with 3 E9 motors.
Excelent!

I'll have to get my 'astronaut' (An Empire Strikes Back issue Darth Vader figure) ready for some high altitude training! ;)
 

Bowhunter

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
2,030
Reaction score
0
Hey Jim how will the CG change with a glow stick in it on the 3 24mm?
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
Originally posted by r1dermon
hey jim, got any lying around? i'd love a 24mm to keep me busy from now until the last CMASS launch, where i'd blast it on 3 E's. muhahahaha.....sorry, i really cannot wait for this...any price predictions yet jim? and if you will have some for the last CMASS launch? i know its in november...

gawd, im drooling over that 24mm cluster.
Yep, i have proto's of both built. I will try to remember to bring them and pop'em off

jim
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
Any payload, regardless of mass, will only serve to move the CG forward, making the model *more* stable. Heck, put a *cluster* of glow sticks in the thing! :D
 

Guest
Jim,

These two payload kits should be a great addition to your growing product line. Do you have any time table on when the launcher and launch pad will be available? It will be really cool to be able to buy a FlisKits starter set.

Best regards,
Brian
 

eugenefl

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
4,344
Reaction score
6
Yep...I think I'll take one of each. On the small fields the 3x24 payloader should do well on 3 C11s.

These are fantastic looking birds Jim. Although not earth-shattering in uniqueness for the design, they are certainly great looking. The transitions add a lot to the overall look.

Glad to see FlisKits expanding their line again!
 

Larry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
638
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by lalligood
Actually the RR is so overstable that you can build it stock & leave the Estes E motors hanging out the back (although wrapping them together with masking tape is still a good idea!) with the D sized motor clips...

But that is the exception; not the rule when using longer motors.
lalligood,
Yes, you are right about the RR, but I like the neatness of the E engine hooks instead of taping them.
Jim, I like the looks of these two, and the glow stick thing sounds like it would make these great for night launches.:D

Larry
 

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
7,331
Reaction score
210
Location
Penns Creek, PA
AWESOME birds Jim. The 24mm Cluster really has my attention. :) Reminds me of something from LOC and USR.
 

r1dermon

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2009
Messages
2,297
Reaction score
2
i cant wait to throw 3 E30's in it and kiss it goodbye.:D
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
Originally posted by eugenefl

These are fantastic looking birds Jim. Although not earth-shattering in uniqueness for the design, they are certainly great looking. The transitions add a lot to the overall look.
You bring out a good point here. An important point. These two models are *not* "earth-shattering", and that's a good thing. Designing kits can be as much an art as it is marketing and rocket science. Not every kit is a "Deuce's Wild!", or a "Mars Lander". Yet, when you ask folks about their favorite rocket (especially from when they were young for those BARs), what do you hear *mostly*?

Scout
Alpha
Big Bertha
Sky Hook

not "earth-shattering" in any concept of the word. BUT, they were impressionable.

I've been thrilled with some of the, shall we say, "earth-warmly-vibrating" designs that FlisKits has been able to produce. Kits such as the Deuce, Grissom, ACME, FarScape and others. but there are many other designs that we have under our belt that are *good* designs and deserve to see the light of day. And they will. Not so earth-shattering, but they will have strong appeal with many folks. I look forward to the day, decades from now, when someone recalls the Rhino or Triskelion or Corona as their favorite kit when they were a kid :)

*that* will be special. And so will these kits. I am also very tickled with the response we have received about these two new offerings. I was a little leary about coming out with 2 cluster models, added to the 3 that we already carry, but response has been incredible.

Estes must *love* us... A pack of motors for every flight! LOL
 

rbeckey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2012
Messages
1,517
Reaction score
1
Heck, Jim, you should getting a kickback from Estes, what with all the clusters you.... Hey! Wait a minute! Do I sense a conspiracy here? :p
 

lalligood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by jflis
I look forward to the day, decades from now, when someone recalls the Rhino or Triskelion or Corona as their favorite kit when they were a kid :)
While I have only had it only a mere year (almost to the day since I bought it from Jim in person at Bunnell Blast 2003) & have said this in other threads, the FlisKits Praetor is arguably the most graceful and consistent LPR flyer in my fleet, not to mention completely understated! It doesn't have a knock-your-socks-off design (like the aforementioned DW!), but there's no mistaking what it is as soon as you see its profile. What adds charm to it IMHO is that with those w-i-d-e and thin fins, it would be difficult to upscale beyond perhaps a 24mm version--if at all--unless I wanted the hassle & expense of say, carbon fiber fins... Anyone who has a Praetor knows *exactly* what I mean :D :D
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
yea, I **love** the Praetor

**and**, it's appropriate because, technically, it's our first payloader :)
 

Adam Selene

Roving Rocketeer
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
1
Jim, you need to hire an engineer and a tech writer so you can just get all those designs out of your head and they can worry about getting them produced. ;)
 

cmmeyers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2004
Messages
918
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by lalligood
While I have only had it only a mere year (almost to the day since I bought it from Jim in person at Bunnell Blast 2003) & have said this in other threads, the FlisKits Praetor is arguably the most graceful and consistent LPR flyer in my fleet, not to mention completely understated! It doesn't have a knock-your-socks-off design (like the aforementioned DW!), but there's no mistaking what it is as soon as you see its profile. What adds charm to it IMHO is that with those w-i-d-e and thin fins, it would be difficult to upscale beyond perhaps a 24mm version--if at all--unless I wanted the hassle & expense of say, carbon fiber fins... Anyone who has a Praetor knows *exactly* what I mean :D :D
In my small fleet of rockets (12 -15 birds), the Praetor is definitely my favorite for all of the reasons you listed above (and more).
 

jflis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
15,353
Reaction score
34
Originally posted by Adam Selene
Jim, you need to hire an engineer and a tech writer so you can just get all those designs out of your head and they can worry about getting them produced. ;)
yea, tell me about it... man, if youse guys could only see my note/design books of what I have in the wings... :D :D

I have kit designs out to about 2008 at about 8 a year... ...at *least*...
 

Guest
Originally posted by jflis
I have kit designs out to about 2008 at about 8 a year... ...at *least*...
Uh oh - there goes my retirement money :D
 
Top