FlisKits new Paper Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, cool!!!

I still haven't built the Midnight Express you put in with my last order.

Cool! I have seen this rocket up-close and personal. Very nice rocket... and worth a lot more than what Jim is asking for ;).

I like the photographs... what scale is this puppy again? :D

Thanks Jim! Gotta love the free stuff.

We're looking at a cold, wet weekend here in Oklahoma. Now I'll have to get to WalMart or the office supply place and buy a pack of inkjet cardstock paper. The Deuce is finished and I need something to build.....when's spring....

John

"Caution, Rocket Launch In Progress" may be the PRODUCTION rocket with the longest name ever, but Rocket Team Vatsaas still wins with the "Jumbo Sizzler aka Grandma Lucy's Semi-Annual Memorial Day Prickly-Heat Telethon-of-Love". :D

I've printed it out, unchecking the scaleing boxes etc, onto A4; and it seems to have printed properly. The entire image fits on a piece of A4, which is unusual. Dunno if you created the pdfs with A4 in mind, Jim, but if you did it worked, and thanks!! :)

Gonna have some fun building this. I've already thought of two ideas for alternative decoration. Clues: Chocolate, for the first one; and Cover of an Album which spent most of the 70s & 80s in the album charts, for the other. :D

two ideas for alternative decoration

OK, I'll hazard a guess: a Toblerone box, and Dark Side Of The Moon

hmmm, now I gotta think of a theme or two.

Correct, Cliff. :D

I've been mulling over the DSOTM desgin, at work this afternoon, and have mostly planned it out. I'm going to walk before I run, by building the 'standard' CRLIP before embarking on a custom job. Infact, I'm cutting the bits out as I type, so that won't be too far in the future.

Been building my CRLIP, and I'm about 1/2 way there - simplicity itself. The best tip I can give to any builders is keep the glue spread thinly, like a film. It grips much quicker, and doesn't oooooze out all over everything; a skill I've learned building Art Applewhite creations.

Everything fits together, like a glove; and the instructions are up to the usual Fliskits high standards (I know Jim has mentioned that the diagrams are a bit 'fuzzy', but they are still clearer than some I've seen, and more than adiquate for the task).

One thing I must pull you up over though Jim - step #17: "Cut out the Shock Cord Mount ...". Errrr ..... what shock cord mount? ;) There isn't one on the patterns. However, its not exactly Rocket Science to copy one from another kit's template; after all, the 3-fold mount is one of the most ubiquitous items in model rocketry, so making one isn't such a hardship.

Pics: First one, the assembled 'bits'; minus the fins, which are laying-up under a gurt big pile of books.

Second Pic: The top of the motor mount. Not the neatest of jobs; but it'll do the trick, and nobodys going to see it after I've glued it into the BT. :)

Should finish this baby tomorrow night, after work.

Dan,
Looks like the pictures. I have mine downloaded, but can't get the bodytube to come out at 10" 9-3/8" is all I get. This thing isn't round its a triangle. Can't wait to give building it a try. No shockcord mount HUMMM:confused:
Oh, the intructions look pretty clear to me.

Larry

Larry,
Check to see if all the boxes on the right in the printer setup
(copies & adjustment) are unchecked.

John

:) P.S. The pic's of the 88 are great Thanks

Jim,

I printed out the "Caution, Rocket Launch In Progress" and am ready to start building. I notice in the instructions you recommend white glue (Elmer's) or spray glue (something like 3M 77 I assume) Is it possible to use a glue stick? My freeflight model airplane background put me on to this idea. The purple UHU sticks are great at sticking tissue on a balsa framework. Much better than the "good old days" of nitrate dope.

It seems like the glue stick would be easier to work with on the fins without fear of them warping due to the moisture. The motor mount should probably still need Elmer's...and probably even for attaching the fins.

Just and idea. Wondering if you had tried it. Don't want the thing to fly apart on me.

John

have never thought of using the glue sticks. my past experience with them is that the glue doesn't really penetrate the paper and when it ages, things fall off...

As for the Shock Cord Mount... LOL I started to build another one myself tonight (pix tomorrow) and I discovered the SAME thing... i'll have that fixed tomorrow.

I'm curious... ...those of you who have built this. What did you think of my idea for the Engine Block?? I thought it was kinda cool :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis
As for the Shock Cord Mount... LOL I started to build another one myself tonight (pix tomorrow) and I discovered the SAME thing... i'll have that fixed tomorrow.

Whew! I was going crazy looking through the sheets for the shock cord mount... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed there wasn't one! haha :D

I'm curious... ...those of you who have built this. What did you think of my idea for the Engine Block?? I thought it was kinda cool :)

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical of building the MMT as design at first. I come from the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" school of thought & briefly contemplated cutting a thin strip of paper to fit as a thrust ring, but I snapped out of it & went with the original design. (Plus I happened to make 3 copies of the rocket pages so I could--and will--build another!)

Ultimately, I actually like this more than the 2-piece/separate thrust ring design. It makes for a MUCH stronger & robust MMT tube, lending greater strength to the overall rocket design. It's more than cool Jim...you certainly have my support to walk around with your chest out & head held high for this idea! Way to go!!

BTW, I dig the gussets too. Those would work well on the Richter Recker, wouldn't they?

Originally posted by lalligood

BTW, I dig the gussets too. Those would work well on the Richter Recker, wouldn't they?

Actually, yes... cut out of the same fiber material we use for our rings would probably do the trick. thanx for the idea. I will look into that...

jim

Actually Justy, there's a Super Big bertha in KCAR with an EXTREMELY LONG name. I'll get it next time I go. Something like super, ultimate, garguantuan, blah blah blah.

Cool, been building paper rocs lately and I'll give this one a try.

lalligood,
I did use this method on my RR. I used heavy cardboard and epoxy. Worked real well. (to fill the voids in the mount)

The engine block thing works pretty well. I would think the folded over paper would be stronger than a thrust ring added to the motor mount. I have one just about done. I'm letting all the glue dry then need to add shock cord and weight. This thing is fun to build.:) :)

Larry

Since I'm a big fan of free paper rockets, I downloaded this one right away. My nephew came over yesterday for a little while so I built 2 with him and my oldest daughter.
This is very simple to build and goes together very fast. I would say it's a bit easier than the Midnight Express since it's triangular rather than round. We built 2 in about 3 hours, and I let them help with the easier stuff like the fins. I didn't really notice that there wasn't a shock cord mount. I just cut some out of the scrap paper that was laying around.
I prepped them to launch, but as I was doing so it started to rain, so we didn't get to launch them.
Hopefully soon, I'll get out and launch at least one of them, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's my nephew Mason with his Caution.

Tim

Hey, not bad Jim. 48hrs(ish) from your first posting, and the finished articles are coming off the production lines. I need to get some crape paper for the streamer, sort out the nose weight, and my Caution is ready.

Looks like you've got an instant classic on your hands! :D

Originally posted by slim_t

Here's my nephew Mason with his Caution.

Tim

Tim, would it be permissable to use this picture of Mason and the one of Julia on the photo album for that rocket?

jim

Absolutely Jim.
I'll email you the higher quality pics.
Did you get the pics of the ME's I sent you a few days ago?
I've got some more I built today that I've got to take pics of and post tomorrow. Here's a hint: 3 Midnight Express's, 1 is the TDD download, 2 are my own mods to complement the TDD. ;)

Tim

OK...I just had to build one. So, I did. About 8:30 I prinited out the patterns, and around 10:30 I was done. Very cool, and VERY fun! Another masterpiece, Jim! Great Job!

Now here's the pics.

Caption for this one:

"Oh, I wish I was a baller, I wish I was a little bit taller!"

Jason

Caption for this one:

"Ooh, look! :eek: It matches the decor!"

:D :D :D

Jason

Originally posted by slim_t
Absolutely Jim.
I'll email you the higher quality pics.
Did you get the pics of the ME's I sent you a few days ago?
I've got some more I built today that I've got to take pics of and post tomorrow. Here's a hint: 3 Midnight Express's, 1 is the TDD download, 2 are my own mods to complement the TDD. ;)

Tim

Yep, i got 'em *S* i'm hoping to have a spare moment tomorrow to get some of these up on line!

thanx,
jim

great, Jason! I love it :) I am pleased with how much attention this rocket has gotten. It should also be great for those youth groups and classes on too tight a budget to buy a rocket (that's why I wanted a Skill Level 1 rocket in the free download area)

Frankly, I came up with this idea around Tuesday then got excited about it and worked on getting the documentation done :)

jim

Jason;

That 2nd one is so great on that launch pad. It Looks like it should be a display piece. It'd be cool to have about 4 of those to outline your launch area with and run some caution tape between them. :D

Tim

Frankly, I came up with this idea around Tuesday then got excited about it and worked on getting the documentation done :)

jim

Wow Jim. Do you ever sleep?

You know, I didn't even think to comment on the construction of these. I guess it was just too easy.
I didn't go with the engine block in the design. I save those yellow spacer tubes from Estes kits, and cut a piece of them off to use for engine blocks in my paper rockets. That's what I did with these also. I'm sure your design works fine, and I'll probably build another to try it out. I just thought what I did was a bit easier to show and explain to the kids.

I also like the way the launch lug is hidden with the color scheme. One thing I might like more though was that if the launch lug went on a different side, since I prefer to see the side that says "Caution". Maybe put the LL on the side that says "In Progress".

Another thing was the gussets. I like this much better than tissue paper stuffing. What I did different though was instead of cutting each one out and glueing them together; I fist glued 2 scrap pieces of card stock to the pattern, then cut out just 3 of them.
"6 in one hand, 1/2 a dozen in the other" :D
But I thought this was easier than cutting out 9 and then trying to glue the little boogers together.

Tim

Back